And Arantxa gets the record - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 03:35 PM   #1
country flag anabel

anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all
And Arantxa gets the record

After her win today...

She is now the player with more total wins ( singles + doubles) Next is Wade.

She is now the player with more singles wins Next is Sukova

Congrats!!!

anabel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 04:03 PM   #2
country flag DEETHELICK

DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute
Well done Arantxa!!!

No matter what your form is, you are still setting records, the sign of a TRUE champion!

Spain can depend on you!!!

Good luck tomorrow!
Old Apr 27th, 2002, 04:55 PM   #3
wave

wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute wave has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, congrats Arantxa. Spain is lucky to have her. It seems that she always gives her best for her country (Hopeman (allthough she lost there against Monica) and now Fedcup) even if she's not in her best form.
You go girl.
But it seems that this i gonna be a tight match against Hungary.

Arantxa, you will always be in my heart. Thanks for all the great matches you gave us and for just being a wonderful person on and off court.
All the best for your future!
wave is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2002, 04:58 PM   #4
country flag wongqks
Team WTAworld

wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of wongqks has much to be proud of
I admire Arantxa for playing and represent for her country for so many times, she together with Conchita help Spain to get a lot of Fed cup titles , can someone still remember their win over Switzerland in 1997 in the final (almost impossible task as they were playing Hingis and Schydner both were in great form then) and also their win over USA I think in 1997 or 1998 in teh semifinal in that thrilling doubles match (someone can confirm this)
wongqks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2002, 05:11 PM   #5
country flag anabel

anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all anabel is a name known to all
Spain def Swiss in 98's final

Spain also def Usa in 98's semis.

I was watching that doubles match LIVE in Madrid!! The day started at 5.30 pm with the singles match and the doubles finished at about 2.00 am.

Its something that i will never forget.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 06:29 PM   #6
Julian

Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of Julian has much to be proud of
Absolutely Arantxa has always comitted herself in representing her country..along with those numerous Fed cup and hopman cup titles she has won 4 Olympic medals for Spain. I remember from 1988-1990 she skipped playing the Australian Open to play Hopman cup with Emilio! This is yet another milestone in Arantxa's illustrious career.

1998 was certainly a year to remember for Arantxa and Conchita. In their SF tie against the U.S. in Spain Arantxa beat Lisa Raymond 6-7, 6-3, 6-0 and Conchita lost to Monica 6-3, 3-6, 6-1. The next day Arantxa lost 6-4, 6-0 to Monica and as always it was up to Conchita to hold Spain up..she beat Lisa Raymond 7-6, 6-4 and it was up to the deciding doubles match. Arantxa and Conchita were playing yet again Lisa Raymond and Mary Joe Fernandez..they were up a set and I think was a game away for the match but lost the 2nd in a tiebreak..in the 3rd it was up and down team USA was always one game away for the match but Spain kept it close..it was until they broke and at I think at 6-4, 6-7, 10-9 in the 3rd Arantxa hit a volley that Mary Joe just couldn't get over the net. Whew! Arantxa and Conchita embraced, the crowd went wild, and the entire team (Magui, Virginia, Miguel, and others) went over to congratulate Arantxa and Conchita!! I felt sorry for Lisa for losing all 3 of her matches but I also felt sorry for Monica who won both her matches but still USA lost it and I think Monica had to go to another tournament the next day! (or should I say same day?) lol

Anyway in the final against Switzerland everyone expected them to win..as said Martina and Patty were hot at the time..first match Arantxa beat Schnyder 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 but Conchita lost to Hingis 6-4, 6-4. The next day Martina beat Arantxa 7-6, 6-3 in surprising fashion lol and yet again it was up to Conchita..and she held Spain up again as she beat Patty 6-3, 2-6, 9-7! It was up to the deciding dubs match and Arantxa and Conchita breezed past Hingis/Schnyder 6-2, 6-0?? to win their 6th? Fed Cup title!

All in all Arantxa's record stands 46-20 and Conchita 42-16
Julian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2002, 08:52 PM   #7
country flag JonBcn
Tart with a Heart

JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute
Hey, Julian - great post! Your comment about the Hopman Cup; this was around the time I was getting into tennis so I dont remember; was it played at the same time as the Australian in those days? Why did Arantxa skip the Aussie Open if she had to travel all the way there to do the Hopman?

Congratulations Arantxa - I´m sure tomorrow it´ll be 47!
JonBcn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2002, 10:00 PM   #8
country flag Brian Stewart
Plainclothes Division

Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats to Arantxa! Another milestone.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chandarubin
Brian Stewart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2002, 10:06 PM   #9
country flag Nacho

Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute Nacho has a reputation beyond repute
BRAVO ARANTXA! Yet another new record!
Old Apr 28th, 2002, 12:24 PM   #10
country flag anabel

lol terrible doubles match in madrid.

They had match point in the second set. And when they finally lost the 2nd set i was like..oh oh they will lose, i remember a point just near the end when Conchita broke the cords of the racquet and they kept playing that point. The crowd didnt realize that she had broken it and they ( not me as i had realize ) started to get so weird because it was a very important game and Conchita had started to hit moonballs without reason. Of course Mary Joe & Lisa was hitting the ball to Conchita and Arantxa tried to help Conchita covering all the court... you know it was about 1.30 am and all we were near a heart attack and hat point was so weird... oh god great memories from those days.

Against Swiss, Arantxa & Conchita fought so well...

Arantxa and Hingis played one of the better sets i have seen in my life... too bad Arantxa could not get it, because Hingis was exhausted... She was having cramps in the 2nd set but Arantxa made the come back too late...

Conchita also fought against Hingis, at 5-3 she broke Hingis serve saving match points...too bad she could not hold her serve next.

But of course they key was Patty. She played so good her 2 matches... she always had played so good against Arantxa, in fact she led the head to head at that time, but Patty missed her chances, so she did against Conchita, as she was 3-0 down in the final set and back to 4-3 and serve... glad Conchita fought back.

The doubles i was shocked. Hingis didnt hold her serve in all the match, (and she was #1 at that time) Arantxa & Conchita played unbelieve that 1st set to get the 6-0. And they also had few work to get the 2nd 6-2.

Oh god how i love this competition lol.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 12:45 PM   #11
country flag DEETHELICK

DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute
47 wins to Arantxa!!!

Whoo-hoo!!! Well done and keep on breaking those records!!

Arantxa (and Conchita) have done so much for Spanish women's tennis!
Old Apr 28th, 2002, 01:55 PM   #12
marsha

marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice marsha is just really nice
47 wins and now I am sure there will be more! No one will be able to touch her record ever, and I'm sure that is just what she wants. Nothing will please her more than having a record that reflects SPAIN and not just herself.

Maybe maybe maybe this will be more encouragement for her to stick around for the 2004 Olympics -- oh please let it be so! That would mean I would get to see her play live at least two more times! And then I would be such a happy camper!

VIVA ARANTXA!!!!!
marsha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2002, 03:17 PM   #13
country flag anabel

Yes, great she is making her record bigger and bigger and this still continues....

¡¡Vamos Arantxa!!