Virginia Ruzici results thread - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:13 PM   #46
country flag Declan

Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of
Re: Virginia Ruzici results thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Just flicked through this thread for the first time...Noticed the Bremar Cup from London in December isn't listed. It was a 16-draw event, with seeds Wade, King, Stove and I think Tomanova. Virginia reached the semi-finals where she was thrashed 6-1 6-0 by Virginia Wade. I know, coz I was there! It was at Crystal Palace, and the event seems to have been airbrushed out of history! I'll dig out my old programme -maybe later today- to see who Virginia beat in the first round and Quarter-final.
Bremar Cup, Crystal palace, London 5-11 December 1977
Ir: Ruzici d. Jackie Fayter 36 64 62
QF: Ruzic d. (4) Renata Tomanove 46 62 63
SF Wade d. Ruzici 61 60

Doubles:
1r: Ruzici/Florenza Mihai d. Fayter/Belinda Thompson 63 63
SF: King/Tomanova d. Ruzici/Mihai 61 63
Declan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM   #47
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
SF Wade d. Ruzici 61 60

Doubles:
Sounds like a good tournament with a good line up. Renata Tomanova was definitely the better player at that stage of their careers so that was a fine win for Ruzici. Jackie Fayter- what happended to her I wonder?
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:39 PM   #48
country flag Declan

Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmac View Post
Sounds like a good tournament with a good line up. Renata Tomanova was definitely the better player at that stage of their careers so that was a fine win for Ruzici. Jackie Fayter- what happended to her I wonder?
"Tennis Today" magazine - the best of the defunct British ones - pointed out it was the first time Ruzici had beaten Tomanova.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:40 PM   #49
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
"Tennis Today" magazine - the best of the defunct British ones - pointed out it was the first time Ruzici had beaten Tomanova.
That is interesting, yes I would imagine looking at their careers up to that point that Ruzici was a little behind Tomanova in confidence, not ability though.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:07 PM   #50
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
SF Wade d. Ruzici 61 60

Doubles:

Out of interest, whereabouts in Crystal Palace was the tournament held?
AdeyC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM   #51
country flag Declan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
Out of interest, whereabouts in Crystal Palace was the tournament held?
The National Sports Centre, in the site of the old palace, part of the park. We used to go there with my school for squash and swimming on a Wednesday afternoon. One day in 1976 when we went we passed Chris Evert and Rosie Casals standing outside the entrance chatting! They were there for the Wightman Cup, held there, as was the Dewar Cup on occasions.
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #52
country flag iainmac

Quote:
The National Sports Centre, in the site of the old palace, part of the park. We used to go there with my school for squash and swimming on a Wednesday afternoon. One day in 1976 when we went we passed Chris Evert and Rosie Casals standing outside the entrance chatting! They were there for the Wightman Cup, held there, as was the Dewar Cup on occasions.
Didn't Great Britain play Zimbabwe there in the Davis Cup about ten years or so ago? I presume Declan that it was the same place where Britain famously beat Australia to get to the Davis Cup final in 78?
I enjoy reading about the Wightman Cup in 76. Sounded a good event. If Glynis Coles had beaten Terry Holladay sounds like it could have went right down to the last doubles. My money would have been on Sue Mappin and Lesley Charles
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #53
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Funnily enough I used to go there with my school for squash too, although this was in 1981/2. You didn't by any chance go to Forest Hill School
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #54
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
SF Wade d. Ruzici 61 60

Doubles:
Hi would you happen to have the entire draw from the Crystal Palace 1977 tournament? It is one of the events missing from collection of tournaments from 1977 that I am using for a ranking project. Thanks much for your assistance!
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #55
country flag Declan

Yeah, I do, but we have weekend guests arriving in an hour and I replaced the Bremar Cup programme right at the very bottom of my huge tennis magazine pile in a not-very-accessible place! But I'll do it as soon as they go tomorrow night....
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:21 PM   #56
country flag Declan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFitz View Post
Hi would you happen to have the entire draw from the Crystal Palace 1977 tournament? It is one of the events missing from collection of tournaments from 1977 that I am using for a ranking project. Thanks much for your assistance!
Completed, and added to 1977 Results thread.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #57
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Completed, and added to 1977 Results thread.
Would be great to have a big womens event indoors in Britain at winter time again!!!
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #58
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

Quote:
Would be great to have a big womens event indoors in Britain at winter time again!!!
should never have got rid of the Brighton tournament, only a ten minute walk for me
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #59
country flag iainmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
should never have got rid of the Brighton tournament, only a ten minute walk for me
I agree it was a great tournament, and what a cheek when you were within walking distance to cancel it.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #60
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

Quote:
I agree it was a great tournament, and what a cheek when you were within walking distance to cancel it.
I know, it's hard to imagine such depths of criminality isnt it