Dorothea Lambert Chambers - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #31
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dorothea Lambert Chambers

Won 2 doubles titles
Won 2 mixed titles (includes divided event)

Monte Carlo
Divides mixed title.

North London Chmps, Gipsy
Wins doubles

Kent Chmps, Beckenham
Wins doubles and mixed

Wightman Cup no-playing captain-GB d .US 6-1

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 28th, 2007 at 06:25 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #32
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Middlesex Chmps, Chiswick Park
Wins doubles

Surrey Chmps, Surbiton
Wins doubles

Kent Chmps, Beckenham
Wins doubles

London Chmps, Queen's Club
Wins doubles

Wightman Cup , Forest Hills, NY, NY, USA Britain d. United States 4-3
Chambers/Harvey d. Bundy/Mallory 10-8 6-1
#3 singles d. Eleanor Goss (US) 7-5 4-6 6-1

United States Nationals, Forest Hills
1R d. Mollie Thayer (US) 4-6 6-2 6-3
2R d. Edith Sigourney (US) 7-5 6-12
3R d. Marion Williams 6-1 6-4
QF lost to Eleanor Goss (US) 6-1 11-9

Doubles with Ermentrude Harvey
reached SF

US National Mixed Doubles, Boston-partner Mauel Alonso (SP)
3R lost to Borotra/Ryan 8-6 9-7

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 20th, 2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #33
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Won 5 doubles titles

South of France Chmps, Nice
Won doubles

Beaulieu
Won doubles

North London Chmps, Gipsy
Won doubles

Kent Chmps, Beckenham
Won doubles

London Chmps, Queen's Club
Won doubles

Wightman Cup, Wimbledon

Chambers is the teamcaptain. US d. Great Britain 4-3

Doubles with Dorothy Barron
lost to Eleanor Goss/Marion Jessup 8-6 9-7

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 28th, 2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #34
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Won 2 doubles titles.

Bealieu
Won doubles

Monte Carlo
Won doubles

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 28th, 2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #35
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Won 2 doubles titles in last year as a competitor.

Riviera Chmps, Mentone, FR
Won doubles

Monte Carlo
Won doubles

In March she becomes a professional after returning from the French Riviera. Dorothea is 49 years old!

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 28th, 2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #36
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Career Summary

83 Singles ttles
57 Doubles titles
58 Mixed titles

Career Span 1898-1928.

First title in 1901
Last title in 1928
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #37
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all

Just a thought, but had WW1 not interrupted, Lambert Chambers might have been the all time great Wimbledon Champion. As an aged player, her final with Lenglen has to be one of the all-time greats.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #38
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

In mixed doubles with Anthony Wilding at Wimbledon--it looks like she's run around her backhand.

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #39
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

There are 12 images of her at ViewImages:

http://www.viewimages.com/Search.asp...partner=Google

I love the pics from her 1914 final vs Ethel Larcombe-there's a good shot of Larcombe at the net.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #40
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Hitting a volley

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #41
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all

She looks more athletic than most pics from the early days.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #42
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
She looks more athletic than most pics from the early days.
She does-doesn't she?

Would anyone be interested in having a book discussion about her book Lawn Tennis For Ladies? It's free online, so there would be no problems in that regard.

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 28th, 2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #43
country flag elegos7

elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Rollo,

I have some additional results that you have not included for the years 1904 and 1905:

Northern England Championships, Liverpool (G) 1904
F: Dorothea Douglass (BRI-G) - Ethel Thomson (BRI-G) 6-4 6-2

Midland Counties Championships, Edgbaston (G) 1905 Jul 29
Constance Wilson (BRI-G) - Dorothea Douglass (BRI-G) 7-5 6-4

Derbyshire Championships, Buxton (G) 1905 Aug 19
Constance Wilson (BRI-G) - Dorothea Douglass (BRI-G) 4-6 6-1 7-5

Where did you get all these detailed results? Her on-line book does not include so many results. I look forward for the years after 1905, I am especially interested in her activity during WWI (I heard that she played Red Cross matches).
elegos7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #44
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Hi Rollo,

I have some additional results that you have not included for the years 1904 and 1905:
Thanks Elegos! I've added them in

The results come from a slim book on I bought years ago at the Wimbledon Museum. With you, GeeTee, and Andrew Tas having so much prewar interest and material I'm going to work on pre-1945 results and players in the coming months.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #45
country flag elegos7

elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough elegos7 is a jewel in the rough

Rollo,

You wrote that Dorothea Douglass won in Aug 1905 in Homburg (defeating Towpie Lowther 6-3 7-5). Was this event the Homburg Cup or the Championship of Europe (up to this point I thought these events were restricted to men)? It could not have been the German Championship, it was played in Hamburg and won by E. Lane.

By the way, I have encountered the name Lane several times, and I do not know that these players are the same, or perhaps sisters. Elsie Lane won the German title in 1898, 1904, 1905. Hilda Lane was a finalist in Kent in 1902, won the British Covered Court Championships in 1905, was a finalist at the Northern Championships in 1905. Do you think that they are the same players? I think a small booklet was also published in Wimbledon about Lane (it must be similar to the one you have about Dorothea Douglass).
elegos7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote