Williams sisters aim to defy convention again - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 06:38 AM   #1
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
Williams sisters aim to defy convention again

Williams sisters aim to defy convention again

By Simon Cambers

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Williams sisters have never been players who bowed to convention.

While others have competed in warm-up tournaments and will arrive at Flushing Meadows with plenty of match practice under their belts, Venus and Serena go into next week's U.S. Open having spent more time recently off the court than on it.

ADVERTISEMENT
http://[img]http://ad.doubleclic...789?[/img]if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("");if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=GecHwkLaR9FYvDc6Qw1Z6BOeGEZfy0MQCfMADvNu&T=13ql qmoac%2fX%3d1125124596%2fE%3d95862569%2fR%3dsports %2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d20400 4024%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d054ADA42');yzq_a('a', '&U=139sc5q4n%2fN%3doTUCINFJq2w-%2fC%3d345600.6712141.7662232.1414694%2fD%3dLREC%2 fB%3d2673710');}That has not stopped them succeeding in the past. Serena won the Australian Open in January with little practice and Venus triumphed at Wimbledon in July after many people had written her off.

Although this time their preparation has been blighted due to illness and injury, the sisters will still go into the final grand slam event of the year as title contenders.

"My preparation hasn't been ideal," Venus told Reuters here on Friday, having arrived in the city late the previous night.

"But I feel like I bring a lot of experience with me. I've been in a lot of these situations before and I think I can find my best tennis when I need it."

After winning Wimbledon earlier this year for her fifth grand slam title, her first since 2001, Venus reached the final of the WTA event in Stanford where she lost to in-form Belgian Kim Clijsters.

SHORT OF ENERGY

Her Wimbledon effort appeared to leave her short of energy, however, and she pulled out of a couple of events because of flu.

"I wanted to play in some more tournaments, to try to get my ranking up, but it wasn't possible," she said.

"I know what I can do and I know that not many people want to face me. I want to get past the first round, then we'll see.

"The U.S. Open is fantastic...it's always a great feeling playing there, the atmosphere is more alive."

Serena began the year in outstanding fashion, winning the Australian Open to take her tally of grand slam titles to seven.

But since spraining her ankle at the WTA event in Amelia Island in April, she has struggled with injury.

After losing in the third round at Wimbledon, she did not play again until earlier this month in Toronto where she withdrew from her third-round match citing knee trouble.

The 23-year-old has only played five matches in four and a half months, and even for someone of her ability it is asking a lot for her to make a strong run at Flushing Meadows.

The Williams sisters are seeded to meet each other in the fourth round in New York. "I am just thinking about my first-round match and then we'll take it from there," Venus said. Tenth seed Venus plays Rika Fujiwara of Japan in the opening round while Serena will face a qualifier.
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #2
country flag Veenut

Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future
Well, as Mary puts it, they get the most out of the least preparation. What a reality check for her. Anyway it would be such a pleasure if this holds true once again.