For the people who are against a shorter offseason why do you object to the idea? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #1
country flag JennyS

JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute
For the people who are against a shorter offseason why do you object to the idea?

A lot of folks object to the idea of having a 3 month offseason, for various reasons. But I am just curious why the idea of not seeing tennis for a few months sounds so horrible to so many people on this board?

I wonder if the reason some people don't want a longer offseason feel that way because they don't want to go a few months without watching tennis. However, a three month wait for tennis is nothing compared to some of the other long waits.

time between.....
WTA Champs and start of season: 7 weeks
Davis Cup and start of season: 4 weeks
The Super Bowl and opening day of the next NFL season: 7 months
American Idol seasons: 7 months
the huge cliffhanger ending of The Empire Strikes Back and the resolution in Return of the Jedi- 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amount of time Star Wars fans had to wait for a new SW movie: 16 years!!!!!!! (and Phantom Menace SUCKED too!!)
Advertisement

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #2
franny

franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute franny has a reputation beyond repute
There is this huge gap between Tokyo and Indian Wells where there are like no important tournaments and the players barely play aside from maybe dubai and doha. Why not get rid of that time but going, aus, tokyo, dubai, doha, Indian Wells? I mean, the time between Aus and French is 5 months. The time between the French and Wimbledon is 1 month. Time between Wimbledon and U.S Open is 2 months. That makes no sense to me. They need to be more consistent. Shave off a month between Australia and the French and then add that to the off season, so the players can at least get three months off. And then the ranking system needs to be changed so that instead of 17 tournaments that need to be played, they should make it 14. Then, they just gotta stop awarding players who play like 40 tournaments a year. I mean, first those players are annoying. Next, their rankings are inflated because of it. Just make it best of 14 and the rest don't count.
no i am not talking about a racket or a squirrel, i am talking about the former and future number 1..............
martina hingis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck Justine Henin Hardenne, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Mary Pierce, and any of my other favorites that I might have forgotten about at this moment.
franny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #3
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyS
time between.....
WTA Champs and start of season: 7 weeks
Davis Cup and start of season: 4 weeks
The Super Bowl and opening day of the next NFL season: 7 months
American Idol seasons: 7 months
the huge cliffhanger ending of The Empire Strikes Back and the resolution in Return of the Jedi- 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amount of time Star Wars fans had to wait for a new SW movie: 16 years!!!!!!! (and Phantom Menace SUCKED too!!)
Are you kiddin'?
If a player wants to, they can take a 2+ month vacation after the AO, and come back on clay in late April.
Most of the tour are not millionaires. They need tournaments with prizemoney.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #4
country flag njnetswill

njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute njnetswill has a reputation beyond repute
They need to space out the big tournaments more evenly. The schedule just seems random.
njnetswill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 04:50 PM   #5
country flag Joana

Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute
Because it would mean we'd see those tired and fatigued players play all sorts of exhibitions all over the world and I suspect many of the top 30 players would revert to playing challengers.
Besides, I remember ASV once called for a longer season.
Joana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #6
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute
There is no reason to shorten the season. If players are careful and wise in their selecions of the tournaments they play, there should be no cause for injury or burnout. Too much time off could lead to rustiness. The main change should be the time between the FO and Wimbledon, and the time between slams and Fed Cup should be lengthened.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #7
country flag manu32

manu32 has a reputation beyond repute manu32 has a reputation beyond repute manu32 has a reputation beyond repute manu32 has a reputation beyond repute manu32 has a reputation beyond repute manu32 has a reputation beyond repute manu32 has a reputation beyond repute manu32 has a reputation beyond repute manu32 has a reputation beyond repute manu32 has a reputation beyond repute manu32 has a reputation beyond repute
every player is injured and withdrew 3 times and 4,5 or 6 ...so there is no problem.....a long break after wimbledon is frequent and another one after USO.....
manu32 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote