What's the deal with Maria Kirilenko? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 03:33 AM   #1
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future
What's the deal with Maria Kirilenko?

I'll admit straight up that I've never seen Maria K play or even know much about her. It's just that there's been a lot of hype over the past two years, and she hasn't really produced any high quality results. From what I've heard, she's a baseliner with very fluid and solid strokes. It's the kind of game that you think would have produced some truly outstanding results for someone who is almost 19. Was she more hype than substance? Are there flaws in her game that will keep her in the middle of the pack, without any real breakout performances? She's got a great name, but does she have enough game for the fame?

After 30+ years of watching this game, I've learned that players mature at their own pace -- some earlier, some later, but also, some never. Would appreciate any thoughts folks have on Kirilenko and her potential. Thanks in advance.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 03:41 AM   #2
country flag selyoink

selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute selyoink has a reputation beyond repute
I think most hype is due to how well she played against Serena at the FO last year. She probably played the best match of her life and nearly took Serena down. Thus the hype.
Riding the 3AM Rollercoaster
selyoink is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 03:43 AM   #3
country flag Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute Crazy Canuck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niktosrule
I think most hype is due to how well she played against Serena at the FO last year. She probably played the best match of her life and nearly took Serena down. Thus the hype.
That , and she's very attractive.
Crazy Canuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 03:51 AM   #4
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niktosrule
Yes, the Ws have had their share of indirectly contributing to the hype

of some players last few years.

To name just few: Sperm. Sesil, Angela Haynes, Carybas, Uberoi.

These players were catapulted to the limelight before they are truly ready to take the pressure associated with it.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 03:56 AM   #5
country flag *hingis_forever*

*hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum79
Yes, the Ws have had their share of indirectly contributing to the hype

of some players last few years.

To name just few: Sperm. Sesil, Angela Haynes, Carybas, Uberoi.

These players were catapulted to the limelight before they are truly ready to take the pressure associated with it.
It's not just the WS who help hype players. Any lower ranked player beating or coming close to beating a top player is going to get hyped.

*hingis_forever* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:00 AM   #6
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
She has a great deal of talent and is very Hingus like in her playing style perhapas with a bit more power. She is a great all court player with every shot in the book and glides beautifully around the court. All she needs in some confiedence and some time and she will become a very good player.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:26 AM   #7
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtafan_7
It's not just the WS who help hype players. Any lower ranked player beating or coming close to beating a top player is going to get hyped.
Ideally, that is how it should be. But in reality the one who have notoriety are the one who have competed against the WS. Furthermore, they achieved instant recognition and up-and-comer status if they beat the WS.

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:46 AM   #8
country flag Dan23

Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute Dan23 has a reputation beyond repute
As Andrew (MMFan) said Maria has almost all the shots and moves very well and is very handy at the net...her serve can let her down at times and she can lose concentration when things dont go her way. She won the Girls US Open in 2002 and has shown she can beat very good players this year (Schnyder, Bovina) and took Mauresmo and JHH (on clay) to 3 sets. Hopefully she can gain the consistancy required to move further up the ranks.
Dan23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:51 AM   #9
roscoe111

roscoe111 has disabled reputation
I saw her play mixed with Oliver against Hrbaty/Likhovtseva. She's very gifted and also
tacticlly clever. She has the potential to be a top 20 singles player for a few years but I doubt that she'll ever be a consistent slam contender. She's just not physically big enough, nor did she appear to have any one outstanding weapon to bother any of the top 5.
If she follows Likhovtseva's example and focuses on doubles she can have a very nice pro career. Incidentally, the hype is due to the fact that the girl is gorgeous.
roscoe111 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:58 AM   #10
country flag Atrixo

Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of Atrixo has much to be proud of
The thing about Maria Kirilenko (I saw her match today), is that she has a variety of shots in her arsenal, BUT she doesn't have any gameplan to use them.

Hingis utilized her arsenal constructively and creatively, BECAUSE she always had an idea about what she wanted to do against a particular opponent, on a particular point, in a particular situation.

Granted, not every player is a "thinker" out there; but when you don't have any "true weapons", it becomes necessary to become more aware of "constructing" points. Little Masha, unfortunately. has yet to reach that stage of "maturity" and "understanding".
Atrixo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 05:14 AM   #11
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem
Was she more hype than substance?
At the moment, yes. Has she got slam-winning potential? No. at least, nothing she's shown so far. Top ten? She has more tools at her disposal than Anastasia Myskina. But Myskina's smart. So far, Kirilenko is nothing special in the mind department.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:23 AM   #12
country flag Derek.
Two and counting.

Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute Derek. has a reputation beyond repute
Maria is a very crafty player. Great groundstrokes and solid at net. But like people said before her serve can let her down at times. She's very fast and graceful about the court. I love watching her play. She plays with a lot of emotions, but not the cry-baby type. She has potential to be Top 10 once she puts it all together imo.
Derek. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #13
country flag Wombat

Wombat is a splendid one to behold Wombat is a splendid one to behold Wombat is a splendid one to behold Wombat is a splendid one to behold Wombat is a splendid one to behold Wombat is a splendid one to behold Wombat is a splendid one to behold Wombat is a splendid one to behold Wombat is a splendid one to behold Wombat is a splendid one to behold Wombat is a splendid one to behold
She got the game
but lacks of consentration, consistency and strategy.
So the remedy is to grow up and gain that maturity
or
get a smart coach and perhaps a shrink

Last edited by Wombat : Aug 16th, 2005 at 07:09 AM.
Wombat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #14
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future
Thanks, everyone for the replies. It will be interesting to see how far she goes.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #15
country flag spike83

spike83 is a name known to all spike83 is a name known to all spike83 is a name known to all spike83 is a name known to all spike83 is a name known to all spike83 is a name known to all spike83 is a name known to all spike83 is a name known to all spike83 is a name known to all spike83 is a name known to all spike83 is a name known to all
it's not because you have potential you reach top 10, just look at Bovina, Kostanic, Sprem, Ondraskova, Douchevina, for example ...

* Elena Dementieva *

* Kim Clijsters *

FWTA - Viktoria Kutuzova - UKR
Finalist (2) : 2005 - Toronto, Forest Hills
spike83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote