Vasilisa Bardina - Page 37 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:12 PM   #541
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vasilisa Bardina

What happened to her? Was she injured?
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:14 PM   #542
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Denver City Open tennis titles defended by Dann, Bardina

Posted: 06/24/2012 02:57:15 PM MDT
Updated: 06/25/2012 02:47:07 PM MDT
By Ros Dumlao
The Denver Post

Whispers floated among the crowd, asking: "Do you think he can do it? He's only 15 years old."
David Mitchell, who just finished his freshman year at Kent Denver High School, was building a name for himself at the 96th Denver City Open.

Advancing as the No. 13 seed, Mitchell upset two NCAA Division I players and a world-ranked player to earn his spot in the men's open singles final. His opponent was the tournament's defending champion and No. 1 seed — Willie Dann, a 40-year-old who didn't shy away from his age.
Dann defeated Mitchell 6-1, 6-4 and repeated as a Denver City Open champion.

In the women's open championship match, the No. 1 seed also defeated a teenager. Vasilisa Bardina swept 17-year-old Erin Gebes 6-4, 6-4 and won her second consecutive Denver City Open title. Gebes was a standout at D'Evelyn High School and will play college tennis at Marquette.

Dann awknowledged the big age difference in the men's title match.

"It's a different situation, being 25 years older," said Dann, who made his eighth appearance at the tournament and his fourth trip to the final. "There's definitely more pressure on me, because I'm supposed to win."

Dann cruised in the first set, winning 6-1, and Mitchell didn't hide his frustration. Mitchell threw his racquet as he headed toward the bench. He sat down, elbows on his knees, hands folded and head faced down.

"I just knew that I needed to take care of my own serve," Mitchell said. "He was going to hold his serve. I just needed to take care of my serve, and I didn't do that very well

in the first set. I did that better in the second set, obviously, because I won four games."With the afternoon sun blaring down and the temperature near 100 degrees, the fans had reasons to cheer as Mitchell rallied in the second set.

His father, Victor, was a hidden face in the crowd but sometimes was seen walking from one end of the spectator area to another.

"Right now," he said between serves. "Right now. You got this."

"I knew he was going to come back in the second set," Mitchell's father said. "I always believe he's going to win."

Though Mitchell lost the second set 6-4, he and Dann received a standing ovation.

After the title match, when Dann and Mitchell were awarded glass-bowl trophies, Dann said to the crowd, "I got him today, but I have a feeling it's not for much longer."

At 14 years old, Mitchell made a surprise run to last year's Denver City Open semifinals. But his name isn't a surprise at the junior national level.

He captured the 2011 Class 4A championship and was ranked No. 7 in the USTA standings for the 14-year-old division.

"My dad got me in when I was 4," Mitchell said. "I started hitting agianst the wall a lot, played in a lot of little kid groups and stuck to it."

Next up, he hopes to qualify for the Junior U.S. Open.

"He's more than a tennis player. He's a great kid," said Mitchell's coach, Peter Richman. "When you have a great kid, and he's willing to learn and willing to work hard every day, great results will happen."

Ros Dumlao: 303-954-1295 or rdumlao@denverpost.com
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #543
Tennis Fool

V won her opening match, upsetting #7 Maria Sanchez in two tight sets, 75 76(4)!
Putintseva #1 player

Old Jul 6th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #544
Tennis Fool

V lost her second round match to Gabriela Paz, 67(1) 36.

Great to see her back, though
Putintseva #1 player

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:14 AM   #545
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

She trains in Denver, had a nice win that should boost her rank a little bit and be easier to enter more events. It's all about staying healthy and having the funds to do a full schedule I think

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote