Mary: "I want to play a few more years" - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #1
pierce0415

pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Mary: "I want to play a few more years"

PlayersM. Pierce - Day 8
Mary PierceM. Pierce - Day 8
Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Q. Can you talk a bit about the match, especially about the second set. That was pretty good effort.

MARY PIERCE: Thank you. You know, I had a difficult time getting going today in the beginning of the match. It took me a little while I think to get used to the elements and the environment. I hadn't played on that court in I think it's about five years. Usually we get to practise on the court sometimes before we can play on it, and I didn't get a chance to do that. So it took me a little bit just to get used to the environment.

And Venus played very well from the very beginning, was hitting very hard and very deep. You know, I just ‑‑ I've already felt like last couple days that I was having a little bit of trouble getting going. You know, my legs didn't feel totally powerful, dynamic today. If you're a little slow against someone who is going to be hitting very hard and aggressive and deep, it shows a lot more.

Second set, I started to feel better and started to play better. I was making a lot of unforced errors, as well. That was my legs, you know, just not moving. You know, second set, I started playing better. I still missed some shots that could have made a difference in maybe me winning the second set. If I win the second set, it's a totally different match.

So, you know, I just try to learn some thing from every situation. I'll definitely watch the tape of this match. You know, I know I was a little bit tired and that played a big factor in that match today. And also Venus played great.

Q. Five set points. How long are you going to remember it?

MARY PIERCE: I don't even know how many I had exactly. I know for sure I had three, three or four. You know, what can I say? On grass, points go by very quickly. Anything can happen. I did the best that I could. I know that I hesitated a little bit and I needed to be more aggressive basically on a few points.

You know, I think that's also why I missed a few of those shots, because I just hesitated.

Q. You, Lindsay and a couple of players in the latter stages of their careers are playing now really well. What do you think contributes to it?

MARY PIERCE: I don't know. That's a good question. Each person I think is different individually. You know, experience helps a lot, you know, with just daily doing things and training, important points in matches, things like that. You know, I don't know. I guess we just have experience, and that helps.

Q. In the '80s, we have Martina and Chris playing till their 30s, then it stopped. Do you think that kind of era is coming back?

MARY PIERCE: I don't know. I really don't know. It's tough to say because now women's tennis is so much more demanding, you know, physically there's more injuries than back then. We play a lot more. The matches are a lot more difficult and a lot more physical.

I would be really surprised to see players having a long, long career. This is my 17th year, and I want to play a few more years. To really see girls playing 15, 20 years, I think I'd be surprised.
pierce0415 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #2
pierce0415

pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute
Mary fans,

In 2001 / 2002 we thought Mary may retire with her nagging injuries and lackluster results ... being stuck at around the #20-#30 ranking.

But in the past year, especially in the past 2 months, Mary has picked up her game. 2 straight GS QF or better for the first time in 10 years. Ranking back up to ~#12. #9 in Race to the Chase with a good chance to make it.

And now we get to spoil ourselves with a few more years of Mary on tour
pierce0415 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #3
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute
I'm so glad she wants to play a few more years, and I'm sure she can do it. The breaks she had from the tour could actually help extend her career, like it did for Agassi.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #4
country flag DomenicDemaria

DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute
I am so glad Mary will play for a few more years. After I saw her 6-2, 6-2 loss to Cohen-Aloro at the Aussie Open, I really thought that will be the last time I would see Mary play. Keep playing Mary!!!!!!!! I hope you can reach 20 years on Tour!!!!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:45 AM   #5
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
That is great i wish all girls would have that attitude there is no reason why you cant as long as your healthy.
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:18 AM   #6
country flag Edman

Edman is a name known to all Edman is a name known to all Edman is a name known to all Edman is a name known to all Edman is a name known to all Edman is a name known to all Edman is a name known to all Edman is a name known to all Edman is a name known to all Edman is a name known to all Edman is a name known to all
mary, i hope you can really play few more years healthy.
Then I can enjoy tennis with you few more years.
coz i am worrying once you retire, then i will feel boring in tennis.
But now~
i dun worry shortly and your performance makes me crazy!!!
Edman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:59 AM   #7
country flag cakiteror

cakiteror is a splendid one to behold cakiteror is a splendid one to behold cakiteror is a splendid one to behold cakiteror is a splendid one to behold cakiteror is a splendid one to behold cakiteror is a splendid one to behold cakiteror is a splendid one to behold cakiteror is a splendid one to behold cakiteror is a splendid one to behold cakiteror is a splendid one to behold cakiteror is a splendid one to behold
EDMAN,i agree!
cakiteror is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #8
country flag MaryPierceFan

MaryPierceFan is a name known to all MaryPierceFan is a name known to all MaryPierceFan is a name known to all MaryPierceFan is a name known to all MaryPierceFan is a name known to all MaryPierceFan is a name known to all MaryPierceFan is a name known to all MaryPierceFan is a name known to all MaryPierceFan is a name known to all MaryPierceFan is a name known to all MaryPierceFan is a name known to all
Wonderful!

RENATE GOETSCHL - best ALPINE SKIER ever

MARY PIERCE - one of the best TENNIS PLAYERs ever

ANASTACIA - best VOICE now in music world
MaryPierceFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #9
country flag Mark Spruce
I think I am falling in love !!

Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute
Thank You Mary !!!!!!!!

That comment as made me so happy

Mark

My MARY PIERCE SITE !!!

Where Is Love I Have Not Found Her Yet

Mark Spruce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #10
country flag saby
Team WTAworld

saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future saby has a brilliant future
MARY..........................
saby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #11
country flag rsunderji

rsunderji is a name known to all rsunderji is a name known to all rsunderji is a name known to all rsunderji is a name known to all rsunderji is a name known to all rsunderji is a name known to all rsunderji is a name known to all rsunderji is a name known to all rsunderji is a name known to all rsunderji is a name known to all rsunderji is a name known to all
This is just great to hear, I'm not going to take this for granted
rsunderji is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #12
country flag PamShriverRockz

PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute PamShriverRockz has a reputation beyond repute
YAY! I'm glad Mary is planning on continuing Whatever makes her happy!
"Her enduring legacy is far more emotional, instead of statistical..."

"To watch Arantxa Sanchez Vicario play tennis was to rediscover the reason why we fell in love with the game in the first place."
PamShriverRockz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #13
country flag MissTennisFan

MissTennisFan is a name known to all MissTennisFan is a name known to all MissTennisFan is a name known to all MissTennisFan is a name known to all MissTennisFan is a name known to all MissTennisFan is a name known to all MissTennisFan is a name known to all MissTennisFan is a name known to all MissTennisFan is a name known to all MissTennisFan is a name known to all MissTennisFan is a name known to all
Mary is just the best... and she knows how happy this is going to make her fans!
MissTennisFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #14
country flag Mark Spruce
I think I am falling in love !!

Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute Mark Spruce has a reputation beyond repute
Hi MissTennisFan, it sure has cheered me up from yesterday.

Mary is just da best

Mark

My MARY PIERCE SITE !!!

Where Is Love I Have Not Found Her Yet

Mark Spruce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote