Does Britain need a Royal Family? | Royal spending falls to £36.7m - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Should Britain have a Royal Family?

Yes. 25 58.14%
No. 18 41.86%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:55 PM   #1
country flag !<blocparty>!
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.

!<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute !<blocparty>! has a reputation beyond repute
Does Britain need a Royal Family? | Royal spending falls to £36.7m

Royal spending falls to £36.7m

Simon Jeffery
Wednesday June 22, 2005

Details of the Buckingham Palace finances were released today, showing a £100,000 decrease in overall spending but a rise three times that amount in the cost of royal travel.
The Queen's expenditure as head of state, which relates to her official duties, fell from £36.8m in 2003-04 to £36.7m in 2004-05 - a drop of 0.3%, or 2.3% in real terms.

Civil list funding for the Queen's staff and her household running costs accounted for £10.6m of the total expenditure but the bulk of the spending came as grants-in-aid - £14.7m for the maintenance of occupied palaces, and £5m on royal travel.

The travel spending - up from £4.7m in 2003-04 - included an official trip by the Prince of Wales to Sri Lanka, Australia and back from Fiji on a chartered plane that cost nearly £300,000.
The Queen's aides insisted the report showed the monarchy was value for money. Alan Reid, Keeper of the Privy Purse, said the royal family cost each person in the country 61p a year.

"We believe this represents a value for money monarchy. We're not looking to provide the cheapest monarchy. We're looking at one of good value and good quality," he said.

Mr Reid, the accounts reveal, is the Queen's highest paid executive out of the civil list, and a £7,000 pay rise in 2004 took his salary to £172,298 a year.

Savings in overall expenditure came from a £1.8m reduction in property spending, arising largely from a business rate rebate on Buckingham Palace of more than £1m after officials fought off a 100% increase in the building's rateable value from Westminster council.

Accountants at Buckingham Palace also managed to reduce the royal insurance bill by 50%.

But the financial report said these savings, and others relating to the completion of large maintenance projects, were offset by increases in employment costs, visits from heads of state and major overseas tours.

Differences in travel costs between members of the royal family were also apparent.

A scheduled flight by the Duke of Edinburgh to Toronto to attend a gala celebrating his International Award Association came to around £12,800.

But when Charles flew to Washington for former US president Ronald Reagan's funeral, the chartered plane was priced at £85,000. Aides said it was hard to keep costs down when royals attended funerals because of the short notice.

A £400,000 increase in the amount spent on aeroplanes from 2003-04 to 2004-05 was put down to transferring the cost of the Duke of York's travels to promote British industry from the Department for Transport to the royal travel grant. In the year to March 2005, £1.2m was spent on aeroplanes, £2.1m on helicopters and £700,000 on trains from the fund.

Catering and garden parties were priced at £900,000, with the Queen's assets including £400,000 of wine held in stock to age.

The Queen also has assets of £200,000 in books on the balance sheet and £300,000 in "horses and liveries". Animal lovers will be pleased to note the accounts show no "disposals" in this column for the 2004-05 financial year.

____

Eek. IMO, they equal waste of space. Except William

Go Rafa.

!<blocparty>! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:00 PM   #2
country flag CondiLicious
Politically Unmotivated

CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute
Well... I don't like the Windsors but they bring in the tourists! Which is good for the economy and yeah... They're good to laugh at.
CondiLicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:01 PM   #3
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Britain does not need a royal family, but I have no problem with them being there.

Unlike many who seem to think that 'dethroning' them would free us from some major dictatorship .

Maintaining them is nothing compared to the wastage of money in the NHS for example.
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:33 PM   #4
country flag -Ph51-
Team WTAworld

-Ph51- has a reputation beyond repute -Ph51- has a reputation beyond repute -Ph51- has a reputation beyond repute -Ph51- has a reputation beyond repute -Ph51- has a reputation beyond repute -Ph51- has a reputation beyond repute -Ph51- has a reputation beyond repute -Ph51- has a reputation beyond repute -Ph51- has a reputation beyond repute -Ph51- has a reputation beyond repute -Ph51- has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiVaMoNiCaSeLeS
Well... I don't like the Windsors but they bring in the tourists! Which is good for the economy and yeah... They're good to laugh at.
Their real name is Hannover
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:45 PM   #5
country flag Josh B.

Josh B. has a reputation beyond repute Josh B. has a reputation beyond repute Josh B. has a reputation beyond repute Josh B. has a reputation beyond repute Josh B. has a reputation beyond repute Josh B. has a reputation beyond repute Josh B. has a reputation beyond repute Josh B. has a reputation beyond repute Josh B. has a reputation beyond repute Josh B. has a reputation beyond repute Josh B. has a reputation beyond repute
The royal Family went down hill centuries ago!

BRING BACK EDWARD 1st

MANCHESTER UNITED

VICE BOSS OF THE GOOD REP FAIRES AND CO-FOUNDER
Josh B. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:13 PM   #6
country flag -Kieron-
Team WTAworld

-Kieron- has a reputation beyond repute -Kieron- has a reputation beyond repute -Kieron- has a reputation beyond repute -Kieron- has a reputation beyond repute -Kieron- has a reputation beyond repute -Kieron- has a reputation beyond repute -Kieron- has a reputation beyond repute -Kieron- has a reputation beyond repute -Kieron- has a reputation beyond repute -Kieron- has a reputation beyond repute -Kieron- has a reputation beyond repute
Yes we do. Britain wouldnt be Britain without them.

And William nice? He looks more and more like Charles everday.
-Kieron- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:29 PM   #7
country flag CJ07

CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, as an outsider Britain wouldn't be Britain without the royal family
CJ07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:27 PM   #8
country flag Jakeev

Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute
I could not imagine an England without a Royal Family. It just would seem wierd. Plus, it would be a shame to not see all those cool titles some of the citizens get like Baron, Lord and Dame.
Jakeev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:33 PM   #9
country flag tennislover

tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute
well that's an important touristic and media attraction.....

Martina Navratilova

Most career titles (singles+doubles):Navratilova
Most Wimbledon singles titles: Navratilova
Most Wimbledon singles and doubles titles: Navratilova
Most WTA Tour Championship singles titles: Navratilova
Most WTA Tour Championship doubles titles: Navratilova

Last edited by tennislover : Jun 23rd, 2005 at 12:41 PM.
tennislover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:56 PM   #10
country flag fifiricci

fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute fifiricci has a reputation beyond repute
The individual members of the Royal Family are, almost without exception, tossers and very few Brits really respect them or take them at all seriously (they have nothing really serious to do anyway).

However, I voted to save the RF in this poll purely because the monarchy in the UK is an ENORMOUS tourist attraction and worth much more than the money the government spends to keep Prince Andrew in executive travel. The citizens of even die hard republics like the US and wannabe republics like Australia can't seem to get enough of our monarchical institutions when they visit and the same fascination seems to extend to a lot of European countries too.

Keep it going while all that is profitable, would be my advice!
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:57 PM   #11
country flag Lord Nelson

Lord Nelson has a reputation beyond repute Lord Nelson has a reputation beyond repute Lord Nelson has a reputation beyond repute Lord Nelson has a reputation beyond repute Lord Nelson has a reputation beyond repute Lord Nelson has a reputation beyond repute Lord Nelson has a reputation beyond repute Lord Nelson has a reputation beyond repute Lord Nelson has a reputation beyond repute Lord Nelson has a reputation beyond repute Lord Nelson has a reputation beyond repute
I'm no lover of monarchies but if the British monarchy ends then that will spell the end of Great Britain. Scotland became part of Great Britain when King James of Scotland succeeded the childless Queen Elisabeth I of England and the union of England and Scotland (along with Ireland and Wales) came to be known as Great Britain. I think that the monarchy system also solidifyed the Spanish union. Without it Catalonia may be as aggressive as the Basque regions to get out of Spain. If Yugoslavia had a monarchy system after WWII then I think that Yugoslavia would still exist today.
Lord Nelson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 01:00 PM   #12
country flag tennislover

tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute tennislover has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiricci
because the monarchy in the UK is an ENORMOUS tourist attraction and worth much more than the money the government spends to keep Prince Andrew in executive travel. The citizens of even die hard republics like the US and wannabe republics like Australia can't seem to get enough of our monarchical institutions when they visit and the same fascination seems to extend to a lot of European countries too.

Keep it going while all that is profitable, would be my advice!
you read my mind

Martina Navratilova

Most career titles (singles+doubles):Navratilova
Most Wimbledon singles titles: Navratilova
Most Wimbledon singles and doubles titles: Navratilova
Most WTA Tour Championship singles titles: Navratilova
Most WTA Tour Championship doubles titles: Navratilova
tennislover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 01:17 PM   #13
country flag wurzelman

wurzelman has a reputation beyond repute wurzelman has a reputation beyond repute wurzelman has a reputation beyond repute wurzelman has a reputation beyond repute wurzelman has a reputation beyond repute wurzelman has a reputation beyond repute wurzelman has a reputation beyond repute wurzelman has a reputation beyond repute wurzelman has a reputation beyond repute wurzelman has a reputation beyond repute wurzelman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ph51-
Their real name is Hannover
No, it's actually Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

All the best to: Serena , Nicole, Ana, any other young players.
And all the Brits.
wurzelman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 01:23 PM   #14
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzelman
No, it's actually Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.
Yeah I was just going to say that.

House of Hanover ended with Victoria.

Oh and yes BRITAIN needs the monarchy. It's a part of its history. It needs it like it needs the "Church of England" even if you're not Christian or religious. Except, it's more important.

Britain has the oldest monarchy in Europe aside from the Papacy. So it's pretty special.

The problem is I don't like the new royals like Prince Charles, William et al.

Queen Elizabeth II is the last of her kind. The world has changed too much in the last 50 or so years for me to really admire any contemporary royals anymore.

Unless, if they happen to be VERY, VERY old-fashioned.

Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:37 PM   #15
country flag Halardfan

Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute
No, I think its time to get rid of them, though it won't happen...

Doubtless the tourist industry would take a knock but that is a minor thing really...this is an issue about whether Britian today is about merit or foolish notions of class and breeding...

What did those centuries of kings and queens bring us anyway? Wars and conflict often with little reason, thousands dead and endless war thanks to royal whims and petty feuds.

The Queen and her family are no better than me, and I won't bow and scrape to her and her ilk.