Jane Lehane O'Neill - Underappreciated or Over-rated - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 10:49 PM   #16
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Jan was the first big female to use it-but there was atleast one male who became famous in the 40s for his two-hander-John Bromwich.

Like Jan-he was an Aussie. Unlike Jan-his shot was offensive, at least Louise Brough thought so, saying he could produce the most amazing volley angles with off that side.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 03:00 AM   #17
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside
I know we have a slight difference of opinion on Jan, tennisvideos, but I think we both agree that, for whatever reason, she did not achieve as much as was originally expected of her.

I just wonder if she was affected p(h)sc(h)ologically (I can never remember where to put the h) by the advance of Margaret Smith. At the end of the 50s I think it was generally accepted that she was the most promising prospect in Australian tennis. But as Margaret steamed past her it almost seemed as if each succeeding victory in the Aussie National final became easier.

Domestic rivalries are often more bitter than international ones and it must have been hard to accept being second fiddle to Margaret and then indeed Lesley Turner after being regaled as the great white hope of Auatralian tennis.
Hi Chris

I am sure that Jan was affected deeply by the fact that Margaret basically steamrolled her after the 1959 season. Jan was still highly competitive with Lesley though - I think their head to head was pretty balanced if I recall earlier posts but I would have to dig them out. But Lesley went on and proved herself right up there with 2 French titles, Wimbledon Semis, GS Doubles titles etc.

I guess the main issue I have had is that except for the greats who made a mark on the Slams almost immediately eg. Court, Bueno, Goolagong etc ... many of the other leading players tended to take 4-5 years on the international circuit before they made an impact at the slams eg. Durr, Melville, Casals etc. So Jan may still have had more opportunities to make a bit of a mark but for the injuries.

Anyway, time for me to let it go Craig and move on!

Rollo just mentioned John Bromwich! Now there was a player that I love watching clips of! He was like an artist with his touch - a bit like the artistic Santoro in many ways. And yes, those angles. How I love the unorthodox! Lehane, Bromwich, Durr, Baker-Fleitz, Segura, Santoro, Seles etc.

Was so excited to finally see a 15 minute film clip of Baker-Fleitz when she played Louise Brough at Wimbledon in 55(?) - what a revelation with her two stunning (and lethal) forehands! Astonishing!
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 04:10 AM   #18
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
What are the details of Lehane's 1964 injury? I know she came back later but wasn't the same player.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #19
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherfan
What are the details of Lehane's 1964 injury? I know she came back later but wasn't the same player.
I have learnt that the 1964 "injury" is different to the ankle injuries she suffered in 1959 and 1963, P/F.

Apparently a cyst had formed on a knee cartilege and she had surgery to remove it in August of 1964 after playing in the German Championships. She attempted to return to the circuit at the NSW Champs at the end of the year in an effort to gain a place on the Australian Federation Cup team but was forced to withdraw from the singles and women's doubles event. She returned to competition at the Manly Seaside tournament but appeared to be having trouble with her leg and lost to Joan Gibson in the semis. A week later while practising for the Nationals her knee gave her trouble again to such an extent that she entered hospital for a further operation, this time on the second cartilege in her right leg.

This time she was out for 9 months before returning to the Aussie tournament scene in late 1965. She lost matches to Smith, Turner and Graebner and defaulted before the start of the Australian Championships at the beginning of 1966 although she had been in the draw. I would assume that it was the same problem. She got married at the beginning of February and didn't reappear until the end of 66 but didn't reach the same standard losing to players such as Krantzcke, Gail Sherriff and Casals.

She attempted to resurrect her international career beginning with the Caribbean circuit in March 1967. She lost to lesser players such as Tym and Bartkowicz and four times to Jones although two of these went to three sets and she beat Durr in one event. Defeats to Shaw at the BHC, Walkden at the French and Harter at Wimbledon followed although she did beat Durr to reach the Italian semi. Touring the continent after Wimbledon - among various defeats she had a victory over Turner at Gstaad and went to Turkey at the end of August.

She didn't reappear at the beginning of the new season in Australia and I haven't come across any explanation. I suspose pregnancy is a possibility. I don't recall anything of her in 1968/69.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #20
tennisvideos

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Chris

I wasn't aware of the exact details myself so it is good to find out. I actually met Jan a couple of years ago and she was very sweet indeed and signed this book I had. I just wished I had have taken the time to question her on her career but I didn't know as much about her as I do now ... one day I might try and get in touch through some of the players and dig for more details from her.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #21
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone think there may be a parallel between Jan and players such as Rinaldi who made a big splash when young, only to fade later. It does seem to be an oft-repeated phenomenon in women's tennis that some players (especially baseliners) peak at a very early age.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #22
tennisvideos

Hi AndyT - was Rinaldi injured though? I don't know too much about her either. But certainly you are right in that there have been a considerable number of budding young stars whose careers have been cut short by injury. We all know that baseliners do tend to peak earlier so can shine more at a younger age.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #23
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future
Rinaldi sufferred a bad fall on a staircase (I think in Monte Carlo) just as she was beginning to gain real momentum. I believe she cracked her thumb. Her game was never the same afterwards.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #24
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
I believe that Rinaldi was at about #6 in the rankings when she was hurt (though I thought it was her wrist). When she came back, she was never a threat in singles though surprisingly she became a solid doubles players.
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #25

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Re: Jane Lehane O'Neill - Underappreciated or Over-rated

Having, as far as I recall, never having seen Jan Lehane play, I was interested to read this analysis of her game by Gloria Butler one of World Tennis' top correspondents in the early 60s:

"Lehane has a laboured game. Her backhand, plugged consistently, eventually tires because it is so awkwardly produced. She has no change of pace or length. Everything is hit the same length and with the same speed. That she lasts as well as she does is remarkable, considering the effort she puts into her game. She has great grit and will run till she drops."

Interesting............................
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #26
country flag preacherfan

I'm sure there was a lot of pressure on Jan's shoulders. She was the #1 junior in Australia over the likes of Margaret Smith and Lesley Turner. As a junior, she had big wins over established top players. When Schuurman and Reynolds played the Aussie tour in 58/59, she had wins over both. In 59/60 Bueno and Truman played the Aussie tour as the top two players in the world. Lehane beat Bueno once and Truman twice. She lost the Australian champs that year to Smith, whom she had owned in the juniors. But the excuse could be made that her long semifinal against Truman led to heat exhaustion. She was the only young player that toured the world in 1960 and debuted at #7 on most year end polls. A great beginning. When the tour came back to Australia, she throttled Smith at the NSW before Margaret returned the favor at Adelaide and then the national tournament. I believe she had some injuries in '61 and soon Lesley Turner passed her, leaving her #3 in her country and pretty much an afterthought. She never got any better than about #7 in the world. I wonder if too many expectations hurt Lehane as they seemed Christine Truman in England.
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #27
carling

carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute

Who?
carling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #28
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

She's probably a few hundred positions ahead of Carling Bassett on the top 1000 players of all time list..
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #29

Bump for iainm
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #30
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside View Post
Bump for iainm
You are a champion fella- thanks for that. I will enjoy finding out more as my knowledge of her is less than I would like it to be.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote