British Pathé on YouTube - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 9th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #1
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute
British Pathé on YouTube

I've been watching a lot of British Pathé archives on YouTube lately. It's priceless. For those interested in women's tennis, a lot of stuff to watch from 1900 to 1969 and probably beyond has been downloaded and is watchable for everyone there. Now I know how Ann Haydon or Dorothy Round looked like. How well Maria Bueno played (fragments of the 1964 final are especially good) and how lovely Margaret Smith was... apart from having the greatest palmares of them all!

Also funny to watch Suzanne Lenglen play. Of course the sport has evolved since (and chronologically you can see how it evolved slowly, from Suzanne Lenglen and Helen Wills to Billie Jean King, going through Alice Marble, Maureen Connolly and Althea Gibson...) still her movement was unique!

Lots of Wimbledon films in the first place.

Basically, I watched everything with the Pathé logo on the video, that was about tennis.

Let's start a library of sorts, as suggested by Rollo. It will be videos, then links to videos (hoping they'll stay on YT) as to not make the page too heavy. I'll try to keep a rough chronology.

Miss Suzanne Lenglen, artist of her times!

The only slam final Helen Wills lost to Helen Jacobs (US Championships 1933), retiring in the third! (boooooooooo....). Title says Wills lost her crown but actually Jacobs had won the title the previous year already (Wills didn't play in 1932, but hey, you miss, you lose!), and was going to keep it until 1936 (hello Alice Marble!).

USC 1934: Miss Jacobs defeated Miss Palfrey (with sound this time!). I like miss Palfrey! Lovely woman and style!

1936: the charming English player Dorothy Round (won Wimbledon twice, and the AO once as well) gives some tennis lessons.

chapter 2 and chapter 3.

The 1961 Wimbledon final (Rollo comments)

Stately "Mort" (Angela Mortimer) vs tall Christine "Sixteen" Truman. In beautiful color. The clip is in random order.

Mort really was Angela's nickname. Christine Sixteen is my nickname for Truman, the most adored British female ever. She was a star at 16, beat world #1 Althea Gibson in 1957, and had British schoolgirls who went crazy for her and sometimes screamed at matches.

Don't ask me why. Perhaps they identified with her. She battled weight issues throughout her heyday.

This was a controversial final, as Truman fell heavily while ahead in the third and lost. Angela correctly pointed out that she had come from behind to beat Truman many times.

Nonetheless the Brits were robbed of seeing their darling win. At least Mort was British too! Truman had already won the French in 1959, but never did lift the Venus Rosewater dish.

Margaret Court vs Maria Bueno, bits from the 1964 Wimbledon final at 3:29.

A Pathe clip of one of Teddy Tinling's pre-Wimbledon fashion shows (Rollo comments). This one is from 1967,

I recognize Francoise Durr (in the middle early on) and that Virginia Wade at the 1.25 mark. Then Teddy in his 60s cool sunglasses with his girls.

the lady at 1:57 next to Ted on the right is Maria Bueno. (a close up of her at 2:03)

at 2:14 we have the lovely Lesley Turner, Ann Jones, and Bueno.

LOL at the male photographers too.

A pity there is no sound.

Bournemouth-1968 (Rollo comments)

Garbo Speaks!

Ok-wrong clip. This one has sound however-and Virginia Wade. Can anything be better?

Last edited by Hugues Daniel : Aug 10th, 2014 at 10:03 AM.
Hugues Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 06:39 AM   #2
country flag djoule

djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light
Re: British Pathé on YouTube

Funny, I have watched a lots of these Pathe videos and some other ones 2 days ago and now I find your post about it
These videos are really great. I have only watched videos from 20's and 30's with Mallory, Lenglen, Wills, Jacobs and Marble.
It's really interesting to see how they played. I like the video "How I play tennis - by Suzanne Lenglen", a video with a lot of slow motion of her shots.
As you say, it's great to see how they looked for"real". The most surprising thing concerning the game in those years is that they don't use the other to prepar their shots. It looks strange at the beginning
Another thing : the first time I watched the videos I thought : "wow, old slow tennis" ( but I kept in mind the equipment of the period ) but after watching them again, I thought : "Not so slow finally, different but really nice to watch !".
I would love to see a whole match of Lenglen, Wills...
I recommend these videos to all of you
( now I'm going to watch videos from 40's and 50's... ).
djoule is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 12:52 PM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

The Pathe videos are treasures!

Thanks for sharing Hugues. If it is ok I will use this space (your first post in particular) to post links to videos in order of the year they came out?

In that way we would have a "library" or sorts. The other good thing is we could discuss particular matches.

When a poster shows a new video or posts the link you or I could edit it into the first post
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #4
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
The Pathe videos are treasures!

Thanks for sharing Hugues. If it is ok I will use this space (your first post in particular) to post links to videos in order of the year they came out?

In that way we would have a "library" or sorts. The other good thing is we could discuss particular matches.

When a poster shows a new video or posts the link you or I could edit it into the first post
That idea looks perfect to me!

I share your sense of chronology of course! Those British Pathé movies are so beautiful!
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #5
country flag djoule

djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light djoule is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Here is a link to a Pathe video with Suzanne Lenglen ( I don't know how to insert the video here... )
I really like it, especially the slow motions. La Divine had such an elegant style

http://youtu.be/_90PPjyGBgk?list=PLU...dNh9K0CFViByun
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 04:47 PM   #6
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoule View Post
Hi

Here is a link to a Pathe video with Suzanne Lenglen ( I don't know how to insert the video here... )
I really like it, especially the slow motions. La Divine had such an elegant style

http://youtu.be/_90PPjyGBgk?list=PLU...dNh9K0CFViByun
Thanks! Inserted in the first post.
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 12:50 AM   #7
country flag djoule

2 other great videos :

US OPEN final 1933 : Helen Jacobs / Helen Wills Moody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUNH...iByun&index=15

US OPEN final 1934 : Helen Jacobs / Sarah Palfrey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBj_...iByun&index=11
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 04:34 AM   #8
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I've seen these videos. They're great, especially the ones of Lenglen.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #9
country flag djoule

Interesting videos about Dorothy Round's game
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #10
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoule View Post
Interesting videos about Dorothy Round's game
Did you notice the progression from the Suzanne Lenglen's days? In 1925 with Suzanne, the serve was barely tossed. Ten years later, there's a real toss from Dorothy that makes the serve more effective. These documents show how female tennis evolved over the years. What seems obvious today for fans of the sport was only shaping up 80 years ago.
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 12:40 AM   #11
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

A Pathe clip of one of Teddy Tinling's pre-Wimbledon fashion shows. This one is from 1967,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYDuA4F2ozA

I recognize Francoise Durr (in the middle early on) and that Virginia Wade at the 1.25 mark. Then Teddy in his 60s cool sunglasses with his girls.

the lady at 1:57 next to Ted on the right is Maria Bueno. (a close up of her at 2:03)

at 2:14 we have the lovely Lesley Turner, Ann Jones, and Bueno.

LOL at the male photographers too.

A pity there is no sound.
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #12
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

The 1961 Wimbledon final

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxv-ImcfGtE

Stately "Mort" (Angela Mortimer) vs tall Christine "Sixteen" Truman. In beautiful color. The clip is in random order.

Mort really was Angela's nickname. Christine Sixteen is my nickname for Truman, the most adored British female ever. She was a star at 16, beat world #1 Althea Gibson in 1957, and had British schoolgirls who went crazy for her and sometimes screamed at matches.

Don't ask me why. Perhaps they identified with her. She battled weight issues throughout her heyday.

This was a controversial final, as Truman fell heavily while ahead in the third and lost. Angela correctly pointed out that she had come from behind to beat Truman many times.

Nonetheless the Brits were robbed of seeing their darling win. At least Mort was British too! Truman had already won the French in 1959, but never did lift the Venus Rosewater dish.
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 01:02 AM   #13
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Bournemouth-1968

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrCQDVeUg0A

Garbo Speaks!

Ok-wrong clip. This one has sound however-and Virginia Wade. Can anything be better?
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 09:10 AM   #14
country flag djoule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues Daniel View Post
Did you notice the progression from the Suzanne Lenglen's days? In 1925 with Suzanne, the serve was barely tossed. Ten years later, there's a real toss from Dorothy that makes the serve more effective. These documents show how female tennis evolved over the years. What seems obvious today for fans of the sport was only shaping up 80 years ago.
That's the most interesting thing in this video. To see the evolution of the game in history
Old Aug 10th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #15
country flag djoule

Thanks for the new videos Rollo I hope somebody will help to recognize the other players.
Don't you think the dark hair girl near Virginia Wade at 3.19 looks like her ? Could she be her sister ? ( I don't know if Virginia has sisters... )