The Alexa Glatch Cheering Thread - Page 100 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 18th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #1486
country flag Srodgers

Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Alexa Glatch Cheering Thread

Wimby Q1: Alexa Glatch (USA) v Anna Floris (ITA)

Good luck Alexa
Advertisement

Old Jun 18th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #1487
country flag simonsaystennis
Team USA

simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute

Winnable! Go Alexa! (She didn't play any grass warm up, did she?)

Vandeweghe ~ Mattek-Sands ~ King ~ Hampton ~ Riske ~ Glatch ~ Capra ~ Albanese ~ Brengle ~ Craybas ~ Rogers ~ Stephens ~ Boserup ~ Davis ~ Keys ~ Hardebeck ~ Brodsky ~ Gibbs ~ Pegula ~ Min ~ Townsend ~ Duval ~ Vickery ~Kiick
simonsaystennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #1488
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsaystennis View Post
Winnable! Go Alexa! (She didn't play any grass warm up, did she?)
Nope, her last tourney was the FO... GL, ALEX!
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #1489
country flag Srodgers

Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Won 61 60

Impressive scoreline!
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #1490
country flag tenisamulo

tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow
tenisamulo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1491

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srodgers View Post
Won 61 60

Impressive scoreline!
Alexa's game is perfect for grass
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 04:20 AM   #1492
country flag Vwilliamsfan1

Vwilliamsfan1 has a reputation beyond repute Vwilliamsfan1 has a reputation beyond repute Vwilliamsfan1 has a reputation beyond repute Vwilliamsfan1 has a reputation beyond repute Vwilliamsfan1 has a reputation beyond repute Vwilliamsfan1 has a reputation beyond repute Vwilliamsfan1 has a reputation beyond repute Vwilliamsfan1 has a reputation beyond repute Vwilliamsfan1 has a reputation beyond repute Vwilliamsfan1 has a reputation beyond repute Vwilliamsfan1 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome Alexa

Americans
Vwilliamsfan1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #1493
country flag Srodgers

Alexa beat Rezai 76 62
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1494
country flag tenisamulo

tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute tenisamulo has a reputation beyond repute

Great wins for Alexa
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 04:27 AM   #1495

Quote:
Alexa beat Rezai 76 62
Nice way to close it out in the 2nd
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 05:16 PM   #1496
country flag Srodgers

She lost 76 62 to Giorgi
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 05:32 PM   #1497
country flag tenisamulo

Strange that we'll have more players in the MD of Roland Garros this year than the MD of Wimbly. But, I think the one's that make it will get deeper into the tournament. Shame that Alexa won't be one of them.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 06:40 PM   #1498

Quote:
She lost 76 62 to Giorgi
Alexa At least she scalped a couple wins this week and seems to be back to full fitness. Hopefully she'll have a good summer hard court season.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 11:00 PM   #1499
country flag tiptop

tiptop has much to be proud of tiptop has much to be proud of tiptop has much to be proud of tiptop has much to be proud of tiptop has much to be proud of tiptop has much to be proud of tiptop has much to be proud of tiptop has much to be proud of tiptop has much to be proud of tiptop has much to be proud of tiptop has much to be proud of

I was at Wimbledon qualifying and saw all of Alexa's matches. I think I have never posted here (not that I post much on tf anyway) but I'm a really big fan of Alexa's game. Her first match against Floris was just no contest, the second match against Rezai was a really good and interesting match and today's one a tight affair that the Italian won. Here a few general and match specific thoughts:

So much of Alexa's game is built around that serve and when it's on, it's amazing to watch. Her serve out wide from the deuce court worked really well during her first two matches. I guess she served at least 10 aces with that slice against Floris and Rezai. I have once seen Tursunov giving a serving master class in Wimbledon (hitting fifteen slice aces or so) and Glatch's performance reminded me of that. Today, the serve was unfortunately a bit off, surely one of the reasons she struggled. Giorgi also took Alexa's kicker away, hitting four,five return winners off it in the first seven games.

During both the Rezai and Giorgi match she was getting aced down the t by both players several times. I really fell that someone with such a big wingspan shouldn't get aced that often. During today's match Alexa adjusted later on and made life a bit harder for Giorgi. I think she hasn't hundred per cent figured out yet if she just wants to slice the return back or be a bit more aggressive. She often returns like a one-hander and hands the initiative right to her opponent. Giorgi was often taking advantage of those sliced returns, either hitting straight winners off them or bossing the rally from there on. Alexa can actually hit nice drives and even winners especially off her forehand return as she showed during her match against Rezai. I wish she would go more for broke on her returns. She usually protects her serve well so should have the confidence to put her opponents under more pressure when they are serving.

But I see this 'measured approach' as a general problem at least in some situations. She can hit really big off her forehand wing but prefers to build rallys and then go for the winner when the court is open. This worked well against Rezai whose game is often just one shot away from self-imploding. However, Giorgi took advantage of every short ball hitting winners off both wings or pushing Glatch far behind the baseline. Alexa hardly got out of these defensive situations. While her big strides allow her to get to a lot off balls, she doesn't turn quickly enough to get to next ball. At 3:5 down in the first set Alexa started hitting really deep and powerful and took Giorgi's time away. She pushed the Italian further behind the baseline and it showed with Giorgi making more mistakes or giving Alexa space to hit winners into. Alexa kept this up until 3:0 in the breaker but then couldn't buy a first serve and the set was quickly gone thereafter.

While I love her backhand slice, I feel she relies too much on that shot. At the end of today's match she was slicing from positions on the court where it din't really make sense (like two feeds inside the baseline in the middle of the court). The big advantage Giorgi has in their matchup is that she can hit winners off the slice rather easily. She just bends her knees and whacks winners right and left from it. Rezai also did this from time to time but then didn't have the patience to do it in every rally. This ability of Giorgi unsettled Alexa and was probably one of the reasons why she lost the plot a bit in the second set. Overall, I think Alexa is really close to finding her game and against opponents who are surprised or overwhelmed by it (like Floris this year or Garcia last year) she looks majestic. But for me she doesn't look confident enough yet to adjust her game during matches (and go for more). She could have won today's match if she had gone for her shots over an extended period.

Granted, I have only ever seen Alexa play in person in Wimbledon last year and this year so my observations might be totally wrong and maybe she plays different on other surfaces. Anyways, I would love to see her succeed and really hope to not see at the qualifying again but in the main draw from next year on. Go Alexa!
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 11:05 PM   #1500

Thanks so much for your in depth review of the matches and her game I remember seeing Alexa play for the first time when she was a 15 year old WC at the USO. My how time has flown by Hopefully she'll have a good summer hard court season