For Sale: People Weekly 1994 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 01:31 PM   #1
country flag veryborednow
Team WTAworld

veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future
For Sale: People Weekly 1994

May 30, 1994
Jennifer Capriati: What Went Wrong?
G/VG
$4.00

http://www.pastpaper.com/List-People90s.htm
Advertisement

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:41 PM   #2
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
I think I might need this!

I forgot to tell everyone I was driving thru Coral Gables a few days ago looking for an art supply store. By chance, I passed a motel called the "Gables Inn". Isn't this were Jen got busted in '94? I swear that was the name, but not totally sure.

All that crap seems like a lifetime ago.
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:09 PM   #3
Team WTAworld

veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future veryborednow has a brilliant future
why might you need this?? research?
Old Apr 6th, 2002, 07:29 PM   #4
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
No, just joking. whenever I want something unneccesary, I say "I need this" to let myself know that I am a fool.

But, damn, I really think I might need that People mag!

So VBN, do you know if the motel was the Gables Inn?
Old Apr 6th, 2002, 08:06 PM   #5
Team WTAworld

Mark - yes it was.

CAPRIATI ARRESTED
By Nicole Winfield, Associated Press Writer
APn 05/17/94

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -- As a precocious 14-year-old, Jennifer Capriati gave the veterans of tennis all kinds of trouble. Now, at 18, Capriati is the one finding trouble.
The tennis star was arrested Monday on marijuana possession charges after police looking for a runaway searched her $50-a-night motel room.
Capriati was released and an arraignment date will be set within five days, said Mort Lucoff, a spokesman for Dade County courts. If convicted of the misdemeanor, she will probably have only to submit to counseling, he said.
Her arrest came five months after she was cited by Tampa police for allegedly shoplifting a $15 ring from a mall.
Capriati could not be reached for comment. Her lawyer, John Ross, did not immediately return a call to his office. His home number is unlisted. Barbara Perry, Capriati's agent, had no immediate comment.
Her younger brother, Steven, who said he spoke to Capriati by telephone, told The New York Times she "was crying a little bit, but was OK."
Police went to the Gables Inn after receiving an anonymous tip that a 17-year-old runaway girl was in Capriati's room, police said. Capriati let detectives search the room, and marijuana was found in her knapsack, police said.
While police were conducting the search, the runaway and 19-year-old Tom Wineland of Key Biscayne drove up in Capriati's sports car, and they, too, were charged with drug offenses, Sgt. Mitch Fry said.
The runaway was charged with possession of heroin and released to her parents. Wineland was charged with possession of suspected crack and drug paraphernalia and was jailed on $6,000 bail.
Fry said he didn't know how the three knew one another.
Capriati had recently been living in Boca Raton with friends after moving out of her parents' home near Tampa. She told Sports Illustrated she was "chillin', just having fun," and taking SAT preparation classes at Florida Atlantic University.
Capriati turned pro at 13 and won her first pro tournament a year later.
In 1990, at 15, she became the youngest player to win a match at Wimbledon. She reached the Wimbledon semifinals in 1991 and has a career record of 149-45.
She has won more than $1.5 million as a professional.
Capriati has not played tennis since losing in the first round of the U.S. Open last August. She left the tour because of an injured elbow. In January, she said she wouldn't return to playing until after her high school graduation in June.
She later began talking about the importance of having a life outside tennis.
In December, Capriati was acccused of shoplifting in Tampa. Her agent said she had absent-mindedly wandering off with a silver ring. The matter was settled without penalty; she was a juvenile at the time
Old Apr 6th, 2002, 09:36 PM   #6
country flag Mark43

Thanks VBN! They always called that motel a "flea bag" in the press, but it looked fine to me. Jen always did have great taste (except for that 1993 Dorothy Hamill haircut that made her look too old lady! hehe).

Last edited by Mark43 : Apr 7th, 2002 at 12:54 AM.
Old Apr 7th, 2002, 11:23 AM   #7
Dennisnijmegen

Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice
Mark,

I saw the Gables Inn too during my vacation last summer in Miami. First thing I thought was like: 'wasn't Jen arrested here in 1994'? But I assumed then that it just was one out of a thousand Gables Inn that this probably wasn't the one. The one you are talking about is located near Miami University, isn't it? Next to the Dixie Highway.
Dennisnijmegen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2002, 12:15 PM   #8
Team WTAworld

For that there article above, it looks as if Jen was plain unlucky to get arrested, and caught.

Quote:
17-year-old runaway girl was in Capriati's room
Had she been in rehab before her arrest, though??
Old Apr 7th, 2002, 12:31 PM   #9
Dennisnijmegen

Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice Dennisnijmegen is just really nice
As far as I know she has been in rehab for two weeks after her arrest. But I can remember that I read somewhere that she had been in rehab before I believe in February of the same year (1994).
Dennisnijmegen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2002, 12:34 PM   #10
Team WTAworld

thanks The ring?? Confuses me that does, what was the point...

Last edited by veryborednow : Apr 7th, 2002 at 02:27 PM.
veryborednow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2002, 06:38 PM   #11
country flag Mark43

Yes the motel was on Dixie Highway in Coral Gables, around 30th or so. I was just looking for a store and happened to see it. Looked okay to me. I kinda laughed and kept driving.
Old Apr 7th, 2002, 07:07 PM   #12
Team WTAworld

Well, she had a lot of money, so there's really had no need to go to a cheap motel ...
Old Apr 7th, 2002, 07:36 PM   #13
kazzmazz

kazzmazz has disabled reputation
Yikes!!!!! Heroin and crack?? Sounds like a bad crowd...

So happy for Jen and proud that she got her life back on track the way she did
kazzmazz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:44 AM   #14
country flag Oizo
Everything Fades Away

Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute Oizo has a reputation beyond repute
I hate that 1994 shit year!
Oizo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:27 PM   #15
cappy happy

cappy happy has disabled reputation
Now that this thread has been revived....seems like an appropriate place for my question. I recently read an article that briefly mentioned some assault charge on a waiter I didn't know about before. I also saw that Snuffkin mentioned this incident (although that post said it involved a "waitress") in a separate thread in GM. I didn't want to post my question there to avoid any negative comments from non-Jenners, but does anyone know the scoop on this? Just curious....
cappy happy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote