The Darling Carling Bassett Thread! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:54 AM   #1
carling

carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute
The Darling Carling Bassett Thread!

My favorite player of the 80's. I would love to see old and new pics of her! Here's one for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellow.jpg (22.0 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by carling : Apr 8th, 2002 at 11:42 PM.
carling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 11:56 AM   #2
BCP

BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold
Hello Carling,

I liked Carling too. Who could forget her golden run in the summer of 84, and into early 85 when she peaked at no.8.
BCP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2002, 11:45 PM   #3
carling

carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute
How about her run in the 1990 Bausch & Lomb after being out of the game for a number of years? Carling played Steffi tough but, man, was she THIN. I still have that match on tape!
Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:42 AM   #4
BCP

BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold
WSow. There were runours that she had an eating disorder. Do you think there was anything in it?
Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:01 AM   #5
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
They wern't just rumours. She had bulemia or anorexia(can't remember which, sorry) and has publicly talked about it I believe, as Zina Garrison did.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:04 AM   #6
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Link to a tsn profile on Carling with pic and a great video(click under the pic)I've copied and pasted the text. The full broadcasr will be on Friday April 19 at. 5 pm. If I only got Canadian TV now!

http://www.tsn.ca/profile/bassett.asp

She was Anna before Anna. She was Darling Carling, the best tennis player Canada has ever produced, and a phenom in the first degree. More than a decade after her salad days on the professional tennis circuit, Carling Bassett is still one of the nation's most recognizable faces.

She was born in 1967 in Toronto, the daughter of sports entrepreneur John Bassett. By the time she was 13, Bassett's tenacious style had made her the top female tennis player in Canada. And, thanks in part to her stunning good looks, she quickly became a national celebrity whose appeal went far beyond the scope of sports.

Her fame crossed international borders in 1982, when she starred with Susan Anton in a movie called "Spring Fever." Naturally, Bassett played a budding young tennis star.

Although her acting career never took off, Bassett continued to excel on the court.

A three-time national champion, Bassett was Canada's top-ranked player from 1982-86 and was on Canada's Federation Cup team every year from 1982 through 1987.

Between 1981 and 1991, Bassett was a regular in the WTA Tour's Top 20 rankings. She reached a career-high number eight ranking in 1985.

She was named WTA newcomer of the year in 1983 after taking Chris Evert to three sets in the final of the WTA Championship. Bassett went on to win three international tournaments, but the pinnacle of her career came in 1984 when she reached the semifinals of the U.S Open.

"She was a great competitor, an incredibly tenacious player," said noted tennis coach Nick Bollettieri.

Her exploits were not unnoticed at home. Bassett was named Canada's top female athlete in 1983 and again in 1985.

Following marriage to American doubles ace Robert Seguso, and the birth of their first of three children, Bassett returned to competition at the Seoul Olympics in 1988. She placed fifth in the doubles competition with partner Jill Hetherington. It remained Canada's best Olympic effort until Daniel Nestor and Sebastien Lareau won gold in 2000.

During the late 1980's, however, Bassett started to struggle with bulimia. The pressure of being a pro athlete and a much-sought after spokesperson proved difficult to handle.

"It becomes part of your life, like smoking. Or it's like being an alcoholic," she later said of her battle with bulimia." It's so easy to get into and so hard to get out of. I hated myself that I couldn't stop."

After successfully wrestling with her demons, Bassett made a brief comeback on the doubles circuit before retiring from the court for good. She was inducted into the Hall of Fame of Canadian Tennis in September of 1998, and this fall will be inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame.

She remains in touch with the game, playing charity events and serving as a color commentator for TSN.

And whether she's on the court or in the booth, she'll always be Canada's Darling Carling.

Last edited by Rollo : Apr 9th, 2002 at 10:10 AM.
Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:13 PM   #7
BCP

Thank you so much for posting that Rollo. I can't believe the things you pull out from under the bed!
Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:49 PM   #8
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Sometimes I pull out something of interest Ball change, when I can get past all the dust, junk, and skeletons that are under there
Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:03 PM   #9
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute
*sigh* Who could ever forget our(Canadas) Darling Carling. I wish she owuld do more commentating though, I miss her.
Ryan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:19 AM   #10
carling

TSN Video...Help!

I cannot see the video clip! The audio is just fine, but there is no picture. All you have to do is click on the link so there's no way I could have screwed it up. What should I do?
Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:39 AM   #11
Vanity
Team WTAworld

Vanity is an unknown quantity at this point Vanity is an unknown quantity at this point
I am so glad to see people remember Carling. I was only a baby when she was in her prime, but I have seen lots of her matches on tape. Carling went further than any Canadian female singles player before.... and no one from Canada has been able to match her success since.

Go Darling Carling!

Vanity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2002, 02:57 PM   #12
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
Vanity - Helen Kelesi would gnaw your arm off saying that carling was the best. But you are right, carling entrenched herself in the top ten, reached a US semi etc....

Helen's Italian Open final was note worthy as well as her Fed Cup efforts in Canada and saying after she beat Sukova that she wanted to show Canada that there are other players doing well out there other than Carling!!!
Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:09 PM   #13
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute
Helen was also very talented. 2 singles and doubles titles. Wins over Novotna, ASV, some other big names I forget at the moment, and consistantly good results at the slams.
Ryan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:52 PM   #14
Kathy Rinaldi

Kathy Rinaldi has disabled reputation
It must have been hard for Carling standing there in my shadow... to never have sunlight on her face...
Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:59 PM   #15
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of
Kathy,

Carling was twice the women you are, if you know what I mean and I think that you do.

PHS