1988 French Open - ASV d. Chris Evert 6-1, 7-6(4) - Anyone see it? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:30 PM   #1
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute
1988 French Open - ASV d. Chris Evert 6-1, 7-6(4) - Anyone see it?

It's the clay court season so I am on a bit of an ASV nostalgia trip

I just wondered if anyone had seen ASV beating Chris Evert at the 1988 French Open? Or does anyone remember any reaction to that result? Was it considered a big upset on the day or did it go by without much notice as Chris was winding down her career?

Chris was still the number 3 seed and had got to the Aussie Open final at the beginning of the year so she was not over yet and against an unseeded 16 year old from Spain on clay where she was the RG Queen, I guess not many people would have thought she would lose that match before it started.

Chris had won 2 events on clay going into RG (beating ASV in the Tampa final 7-6, 6-4) but I notice she did withdraw from Rome after her first match. She won her first two rounds in straight sets before playing ASV though at RG. Was there an injury there? ASV did push Chris quite far on Florida clay 3 or 4 weeks earlier when Chris was on her run and made the semis in Rome herself, so it may not have been a total fluke at RG, but still considered a big surprise I would think.

ASV lost the QFs that RG 6-4 in the 3rd to Provis who then lost to Zvereva in the SFs. If ASV had pulled out that Provis win she could have made the now infamous 1988 French final at 16 instead of Zvereva.

Anyway if anyone remembers anything from that ASV v Evert match it would be good to hear about it because a win against Chris at RG is something not many have.

raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2005, 02:47 AM   #2
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Hola Raquel

The only thing I recalled at the time was thinking, "Lord, it's time for Chris to retire." I didn't give ASV a second thought,which turned out to be so foolish of me of course. After this defeat there was a whole chorus of writers saying it was time for Chris to call it a day.

Of course Chrissie ignored all the talk and left on her own terms.

In light of how good Arantxa became we can view it as defeat by a class player. But in 1988 (speaking as Chris fan) I was crushed
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:58 AM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
The New York times report says Evert was suffering from a foot injury from the Italian Open, where she withdrew in the second round. Before the match with ASV she agreed to get a cortisone injection for the first time in her career.

"Throughout the first set Evert moved sluggishly, and her usually precise backhand was completely out of killer. Sanchez, on the other hand, showed the same rapid footwork and eagerness as her brothers have."

Down 5-1 in the second set-Evert saved two match points on winners-one shot had the younf Spaniard falling down on the clay trying to get it. Evert saved two more mps to force a tiebreak.

"But rather than lose heart, the frisky Sanchez met Evert's precision and power with equal force. At 3-3 in the tiebreaker, Sanchez stretched into a ballerina's split to reach a cross court shot and sent backa volley at a sharper angle that was impossible for Evert to reach."

Sanchez was exultant with the victory. "I happy to beat Chris Evert, because this is my idol all my life."
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:05 AM   #4
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
I was quite surprised. I had never even heard of ASV at that point - this was well before the internet and Steffi was so dominating the tour I lost a bit of interest. Chris had done so well in Oz, upsetting Martina in straights and then nearly taking Steffi to 3 sets in the final, that I felt she had a great chance to do some damage in Paris that year. The following year ASV certainly showed her big win over Evert was no fluke, but it kinda pissed me off that Chris ended her glorious French open career on such an unexpected early round loss.
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:10 AM   #5
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
I believe Evert was dealing with a bone spur in her heel that made playing extremely painful at the time. She was playing against medical advice.
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:35 AM   #6
country flag bionic71
Worshipping POP ICON GODDESSES

bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute bionic71 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes...Evert did play that match against medical advice. She had serious inflammation of her heal (due to the spur condition)..as preacherfan metioned above...which left her unable to plant her feet on backhand preparation (an Evert trademark) and . The cortisone injection took some time to kick in...which explains her "sluggish" start to the match. She most certainly would have pulled out of the event had she managed to get through in Round 3..there was no way the heel would have held up.
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #7
country flag jeanmi18

jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
The New York times report says Evert was suffering from a foot injury from the Italian Open, where she withdrew in the second round. Before the match with ASV she agreed to get a cortisone injection for the first time in her career.

"Throughout the first set Evert moved sluggishly, and her usually precise backhand was completely out of killer. Sanchez, on the other hand, showed the same rapid footwork and eagerness as her brothers have."

Down 5-1 in the second set-Evert saved two match points on winners-one shot had the younf Spaniard falling down on the clay trying to get it. Evert saved two more mps to force a tiebreak.

"But rather than lose heart, the frisky Sanchez met Evert's precision and power with equal force. At 3-3 in the tiebreaker, Sanchez stretched into a ballerina's split to reach a cross court shot and sent backa volley at a sharper angle that was impossible for Evert to reach."

Sanchez was exultant with the victory. "I happy to beat Chris Evert, because this is my idol all my life."
Hi everyone,

The score was 6-3 7-6. Evert was down 6-3 5-1 and then came back strongly a bit like in the AO 88 final to lead 6-5. I don't remember if she had set point but I do remember that on her way back to 6-5, she saved a string of match points. One of my friends saw the match live and said that Sanchez was begining to feel tired, had she lost the second set, she would have lost the match.

Evert was injured at the 88 FO. At the Italian Open, she had to walk over after the second round and go back to the States urgently to try to cure a bad heel. She was not sure of playing the FO until the very last moment, I think there was a news bulletin on the French radio on the Saturday before the start of the FO confirming that Chris Evert felt fine and would play the tournmanent. I watched her opening match agaisnt Judith Wiesner and she played very well. Next match against Romano, she was not that good , seemed to have difficulties to run and I thought that the injury could be back. After the Romano match, she asked for her next match to be 24 hour postponed and said that she was uncertain to play. Apparently ,she spent 24 hour in bed to rest her foot and had several injections before the match....however, not enough.

I think it's a bit unfair to characterize Evert's loss against Sanchez as "call it a day or time for Evert to retire". Sanchez was by no means crap in 88 even though she was unseeded at the FO. She gave a non-injured Chris Evert a very hard time in the final of Key Largo a few months before the FO. Chris won 7-6 6-4 but had to put up a real fight to pull the match through. In the specific circumstances of the FO 88, Sanchez's win was no surprise.

Incidentally, I went to Roland Garros on the first Sunday and watched Aranxta cream Catherine Tanvier 6-2 6-0. They should have played on centre court but were shifted to Court number 2 because of the rain delays and Noah's interminable match agaisnt Emilio Sanchez.

Last, in October 87, 7 months before the FO drama, Aranxta and Chris played an exhibition in my hometown of Toulouse. Needless to say I was there Chris easily won 6-1 6-3. When they shook hands, Aranxta kissed Chris on the cheek in a very warm mediterranean way. I thought it was a very nice gesture. Easy to guess that Chris had been Aranxta's idol. She then partnered Emilio for one set of mixed doubles against Chris and Illie Nastase. Nice memories.....
jeanmi18 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #8
country flag JonBcn
Tart with a Heart

JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute JonBcn has a reputation beyond repute
All I remember from this match was Chris grumpily saying something about how Arantxa had acted as if "she'd won it on her own terms" or something like that...
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #9
country flag jeanmi18

jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light jeanmi18 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionic71
Yes...Evert did play that match against medical advice. She had serious inflammation of her heal (due to the spur condition)..as preacherfan metioned above...which left her unable to plant her feet on backhand preparation (an Evert trademark) and . The cortisone injection took some time to kick in...which explains her "sluggish" start to the match. She most certainly would have pulled out of the event had she managed to get through in Round 3..there was no way the heel would have held up.

This is true ...I watched Chris' interview in the evening bulletin. She said that there's nothing worse than walking over. She obviously looked and sounded a bit melancholic,especially when she was asked what were her first thoughts after the match. She paused (in a very Evert way) and said "my first thought: I will be back" but she said it with a bit of sadness, she had dreamy eyes, she was showing a bit of emotion.

And as we all know now....she never came back.

Jeeezus, I'm gonna start crying if this thread goes on...
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #10
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute
I do remember Chris asking for an extra day off to play this match. sSe played it out of sync with her half of the draw. She was definitely injured ( as a staunch Navratilova fan I wouldn't be biased on this one ) but even so it was a good effort for a 16 year old to close it out in a tough second set.
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #11
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
when i finally got some of the footage of this clash, i was surprised that there really were some fine points. i expected a very distracted (meanng, not tunnel-visioned and relatvely unmotivated) error-driven evert, ala her loss to pam shriver in 88, but chris had an enormous amount of fight for a hobbling old lady. sanchez could never have beaten a healthy chris at that stage...the tampa final was tight but there were never any sign of trouble either...but this under-the-radar yet not embarrassing loss may have been the nicest way to slide out of the history of this event, where she will always be referred to as the queen. A 'changing of the guard' loss to graf or worse, another to martina, would be worse exits, IMO.

...there's no nice way to say goodbye.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #12
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo

Thanks everyone for posting and thanks Rollo for even finding a report and quotes

Chris was 5-1 down in the second? Amazing fight from Chris to get that back into a tiebreak and saving 4 match points despite being injured. A lot of other players down a match point while injured might have just got off the court at the first opportunity but it sounds like Chris fought really hard - no wonder she was ASV's idol.

Someone said Chris was playing against medical advice. I wonder why she played that match. Maybe it was because it was Roland Garros as that event meant a lot to her? Maybe thought it could have been her last year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11
when i finally got some of the footage of this clash, i was surprised that there really were some fine points. i expected a very distracted (meanng, not tunnel-visioned and relatvely unmotivated) error-driven evert, ala her loss to pam shriver in 88, but chris had an enormous amount of fight for a hobbling old lady. sanchez could never have beaten a healthy chris at that stage...the tampa final was tight but there were never any sign of trouble either...but this under-the-radar yet not embarrassing loss may have been the nicest way to slide out of the history of this event, where she will always be referred to as the queen. A 'changing of the guard' loss to graf or worse, another to martina, would be worse exits, IMO.

...there's no nice way to say goodbye.
You are right daze, there is no nice way to say goodbye. I know what you mean though about how this may have been a 'nicer' way to leave the event. Compared to Chris's defeat to Steffi at the Wimbledon semis of 1989, this defeat may not seem as bad and she did have a genuine injury worry here. At the end of the day of course this result doesn't even register a blip on her career as a whole.

I am glad that though their careers did just about overlap and that ASV got to play her idol before she retired.

raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:19 AM   #13
country flag Justin

Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future
IIRC, Chrissy had a dye injected in her heel and was in bed for the 24 hours preceding the match. The injury almost caused her to miss Wimbledon that year (lets not get started on that Wimbledon SF... where she got screwed lost).

I remember being nervous about the match. Mary Carillo said that she had a tough match against "a young, bullet of a player named Arantxa Sanchez." That was the French of upsets, Martina lost to Zvereva. There was a Zvereva/Nicole Provis SF (with Provis holding a match point), and, of course, the whitewash final.
Shino Tsurubuchi
"Men's tennis and women's tennis are almost two separate sports. If I was to play Andy Murray I would
lose 6-0, 6-0 in five to six minutes, maybe 10 minutes." -- Serena Williams
Justin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:39 AM   #14
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
I think Evert thought that '88 might be her last year and didn't want to miss the French. I didn't think that she played badly in the '89 Wimby match with Steffi. She hit the ball crisply and deeply the entire match. At that point in her career, she just couldn't match Steffi at her best on a fast court. I know she got blown out, but she played her game and hit the ball well. Steffi just had her speed and power working on all cylinders that day.
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #15
country flag jeanmi18

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherfan
I think Evert thought that '88 might be her last year and didn't want to miss the French. I didn't think that she played badly in the '89 Wimby match with Steffi. She hit the ball crisply and deeply the entire match. At that point in her career, she just couldn't match Steffi at her best on a fast court. I know she got blown out, but she played her game and hit the ball well. Steffi just had her speed and power working on all cylinders that day.

The thing about 89 for Chris Evert is that not only had she lost part of her focus but also most of her speed on the court. It particularly showed in the Graf match. I remember one particular rallye that Chris won after having been moved from side to side by Steffi. Steffi eventually missed a sliced backhand down the line, but Chris was clearly out of breath after that rallye.