Monday report! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:48 PM   #1
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute
Monday report!

Okay it's yesterday's news but anyway here we go

Steffi Grad Stadium

Shuai Peng def. Ai Sugiyama 7-5 6-4

Average match. Pretty one-dimensional as both hit flat from the baseline. It was quite up and down with breaks and re-breaks, but overall Shuai Peng was more powerful and scored more winners, while Ai made too many errors in crucial moments. She looked much better in the practice match against Maria so I assume her slump is partly mental.

Flavia Pennetta def. Anca Barna 6-1 6-2

As expected. Flavia was impressive and dominated this match. She's very solid from the baseline and her backhand is a wonderful shot and a real weapon.
Anca's slump continues. Okay, even in her best form she might have lost today because Flavia is really strong, but she was from her best as didn't get enough balls back and also made quite a few errors. She has zero confidence too.
In the very last game Anca saved 5 match-points with nice play, but 6th was soo typical: she moves Flavia around for once, goes to the net, has an easy volley into the open court - and nets it.

Mary Pierce def. Anna Chakvetadze 6-4 6-3

Saw very little of it, but Mary looked to be in good shape and hit some nice winners. I assume she overpowered Anna most of the time.

Conchita Martinez def. Martina Müller 6-0 7-6 (5)

Conchita played really well in the first set while Martina had too many errors. The second set lasted over an hour. Martina is playing better again (her serve was quite strong) but I still don't see her re-entering top 100, because her game is just too one-dimensional. Solid top-spin from both sides, but when she tries something different (slice, winning shot, volley), she often misses. On clay that's still enough against many players, but on faster surfaces she has little chance.
She fought well in the second set though, saving some match-points at 5-6 down. Conchita choked a little in the tie-break (from 4-0 to 6-5) but on the last set-point she hit an ace to win the match.

Anna-Lena Grönefeld def. Evgenia Linetskaya 6-1 6-2

Very impressive. A real thrashing, Anna-Lena hit winners left and right, Evgenia was helpless. Especially her return-game was on, she would break serve by hitting four straight return winners. Her service games were closer but she saved many break-points and was only broken once.
Evgenia had no idea what to do, she just tried to stay in the rallies but Anna-Lena was far too powerful.
Now she has to bring the same game against Maria.

Court 1

Virginie Razzano def. Karolina Sprem 4-6 6-1 6-2

I arrived at the end of the first set where Karolina held serve to win the set. Early in the second she missed a break-point and from then on it went downhill pretty fast. Errors and errors, often missing by metres. Occasionally she would hit a winner but that was more or less accidental. Early in the third double-faults came too and the match was over soon. Karolina's game is really the shit right now.
Virginie was very solid, fewer and fewer errors as the match progressed. Later when she had a lead she got more aggressive and hit some nice winners.

Kveta Peschke def. Angela Haynes 6-2 7-6 (4)

Only watched the second set. Kveta had a lapse and went down 0-3 with errors, and Angela was a bit more aggressive on the return. The Kveta recovered and dominated the rallies again because Angela's shots weren't deep enough and Kveta could hit winners off them. Angela had a 5-3 lead though but was too passive again and Kveta won the tie-break pretty comfortably.

Jill Craybas def. Stephanie Gehrlein 4-6 6-3 6-4

Absolutely frustrating match.
Stephanie's groundstrokes (forehand and backhand) are easily top 50 level, but everything else is top 1000, including her attitude which stinks.
After a bad start she got her game going and blasted winners past Jill. She took the first set but then the errors came. Stephanie got frustrated and it was UE galore. Jill was satisfied with putting medium-paced balls into the middle of the court the whole match, nothing else. She wasn't even good at it because she had quite a few errors herself.
Before the 3rd set Stephanie got treatment on her shoulder and it helped as she went up 2-0 40-15. Then she wasted that game and became way too negative again, and I knew the match was over. She put up a bit of a fight at the end but it was too late.
Really really bad loss because you don't get chances like this too often and this was just a wasted opportunity. After the match she said "I'm just too dumb" and that sums it up perfectly.

Magdalena Maleeva def. Vera Douchevina 6-3 6-1

Shocking effort from Vera. She never got into the match and didn't look very motivated either as she moved badly and tanked some games with four errors in a row.
Maggie was very solid and moved very well getting everything back, and she could rely on Vera neding the rally with a horrible error.
Overall a boring match because of Vera's disastrous performance.

Court 2

Maria Vento-Kabchi def. Alina Jidkova 6-3 6-1

See previous match. Maria was solid, Alina was horrid. She made awful errors all over the place and was really frustrated and threw her racket several times. Easy win for Maria.

Klara Koukalova def. Marta Marrero 6-4 6-1

Only saw the first few games. After a bad start Klara seemed to get into her groove. She hits really well considering she's so tiny. I saw her close up later and she's really cute.
Marta made some errors and I assume it got worse as the second set was over in no time.

Anabel Medina Garrigues def. Tatiana Panova 7-6 (4) 6-2

Didn't see much of it. Rather boring as Anabel didn't play well but I never really thought she might lose the match. Tatiana served for the first set twice but couldn't make it, and the second set was pretty straight-forward.

Eleni Daniilidou def. Katerina Bohmova 6-7 (5) 6-3 7-6 (5)

Match of the day! Not always great quality but surely a real dogfight until the very last point.
Katerina is a lefty with very nice touch. She doesn't have much power but lots of variety, spins and slices, nice volleying and good first serve. And she played quite a few shots with her right hand when under pressure.
Eleni was 0-2 down early on but then got a 5-3 lead and seemed to control the match but then lost serve again (serve is still a weakness). She had about five set-points in the next game but Katerina is a great fighter and saved them all, on of them with beautiful drop-shot. It went to a tie-break where Eleni made a few too many errors.
Katerina was ahead early in the second but then Eleni played more aggressive and pretty much dominated at the end.
After a toilet-break Katerina had the better start in the 3rd, going 2-0 up. But Eleni levelled again after some really long games, and Katerina seemed to run out of gas. She kept fighting though, saved a MP at 4-5 and another one at 5-6 down with courageous play. In the tie-break Eleni was 6-3 ahead and again Katerina saved two of them but on the last one Eleni went to the net and finished it off with a nice volley.
Poor Katerina cried after the match and I felt sorry for her because she fought so well. But good effort from Eleni too.

Court 4

Dragomir/Schnyder def. Dekmeijere/Miyagi 6-3 7-5

Nice match. Nana Miyagi is really cool. She hits two-handed from both sides, without spin and without much power either, but with nice placement. Her serve is the slowest I've ever seen but she's great at the net. She smiles a lot and has nice hair.
Dekmeijere has a big forehand but that's about it, her volleying is terrible and was one of the reasons why they lost.
Patty was solid, Ruxandra was pretty bad actually. They could have easily lost the second set but their opponents choked a little so they got through in two.

Ivanovic/Myskina def. Fedak/Osterloh 4-6 6-2 6-1

Only saw parts of the second set. Hard hitting from Ana/Nastya, and they looked nice in their matching outfits. Yuliana and Lilia are actually a pretty good team and played good volleys so I was surprised that they lost the third that badly.

That's all for now, I don't have any gossip anyway.
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:15 PM   #2
country flag Jakub

Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute
thanks

Monica Seles, Elena Dementieva, Kveta Hrdlickova, Karolina Woźniacki, Aiko Nakamura, Silvija Talaja , Darina Sedenkova
, Liga Dekmeijere, Margit Ruutel

Jakub is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:28 PM   #3
country flag gsm

gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future gsm has a brilliant future
thanks GoDominique! , your reports are the next best thing to being there.
gsm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:34 PM   #4
country flag forever_rafter

forever_rafter has a reputation beyond repute forever_rafter has a reputation beyond repute forever_rafter has a reputation beyond repute forever_rafter has a reputation beyond repute forever_rafter has a reputation beyond repute forever_rafter has a reputation beyond repute forever_rafter has a reputation beyond repute forever_rafter has a reputation beyond repute forever_rafter has a reputation beyond repute forever_rafter has a reputation beyond repute forever_rafter has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks a lot, especially for the report of Eleni's match
forever_rafter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:43 PM   #5
country flag matthias
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

matthias has disabled reputation
thanks for the report

and nice to hear about the good macth from ALG
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:59 PM   #6
country flag Melly Flew Us

Melly Flew Us has a brilliant future Melly Flew Us has a brilliant future Melly Flew Us has a brilliant future Melly Flew Us has a brilliant future Melly Flew Us has a brilliant future Melly Flew Us has a brilliant future Melly Flew Us has a brilliant future Melly Flew Us has a brilliant future Melly Flew Us has a brilliant future Melly Flew Us has a brilliant future Melly Flew Us has a brilliant future
thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by it-girl View Post
Let's just put it like this, there is Justine Bieber (I just threw up a little) who has little girls screaming all over him and no doubt he has a huge following on facebook. Justine is newer superstar to the music industry who is hyped far beyond his talent.

Then you have Michael Jackson & that name speaks for itself, no hype needed at all.
Melly Flew Us is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:12 PM   #7
country flag pcrtennis

pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future
Go Dominik, Did you know what Ai's score was in the practice match with Sharapova?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:17 PM   #8
country flag rated_next

rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute
thanks
rated_next is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:25 PM   #9
country flag dylan24

dylan24 is a name known to all dylan24 is a name known to all dylan24 is a name known to all dylan24 is a name known to all dylan24 is a name known to all dylan24 is a name known to all dylan24 is a name known to all dylan24 is a name known to all dylan24 is a name known to all dylan24 is a name known to all dylan24 is a name known to all
thanks for the great report
dylan24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:34 PM   #10
country flag twight6

twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute twight6 has a reputation beyond repute
nice report
...then I realized how much I suck.
I used to update this signature, once in a while...
...then I realized no one actually reads it.
twight6 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:43 PM   #11
country flag petey_pan
Aussie Cockatoo

petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks! I'm so happy Anna-Lena is playing so well!

Maria SHARAPOVA Eugenie BOUCHARD Laura ROBSON Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA Heather WATSON
Casey DELLACQUA Jarmila GAJDOSOVA Taylor TOWNSEND Naomi BROADY Madison KEYS Sam STOSUR
petey_pan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:47 AM   #12
country flag GoSandrine

GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future
Nice mix of players you got to see

Thanks for the lowdown on all the matches especially the Eleni-Katerina battle. I love players with variety especialy on clay and it's always a treat seeing at least one match go right down to the wire.

Also great to hear Flavia 's regaining her form again.
GoSandrine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote