Mistrial declared in Compton murder of tennis stars' half-sister - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:50 AM   #1
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute
Mistrial declared in Compton murder of tennis stars' half-sister

Mistrial declared in Compton murder of tennis stars' half-sisterApril 29, 2005

COMPTON, Calif. (AP) -- A judge declared a second mistrial Friday in the murder case against one of two men in the fatal shooting of the half-sister of Venus and Serena Williams.

The jury reported it was 11-1 in favor of convicting Robert Edward Maxfield, the district attorney's office said.

Maxfield, 24, was accused of killing Yetunde Price with a shot in the back of the head while the woman sat in an SUV driven by her boyfriend, who was not injured.

In November, another jury deadlocked with five jurors voting to convict Maxfield, six favoring acquittal and one unable to decide, prosecutors said. The district attorney's office said Maxfield would be tried a third time starting June 28 in Superior Court.

A judge has dismissed charges against another suspect in the case, Aaron Michael Hammer, who was accused of shooting at Price but not firing the shots that killed her. State law allows a murder charge for taking part in a crime in which a person is killed by someone else. Price, 31, of Corona, owned a beauty shop and was also a personal assistant to her sisters, who began their tennis careers in Compton. Prosecutors said Maxfield was seeking revenge on another gang when he shot at the SUV carrying Price.
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #2
country flag Rocketta

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute
Well I just don't understand what's the problem??

So the family has to go through yet again one more trial..........
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:53 AM   #3
country flag Rocketta

I also don't appreciate them calling Yetunde their half sister everyone knows they were not raised like that....:
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:56 AM   #4
country flag Kabezya

Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future
I dislike the half sister comment, not necessary when the distinction matters not to the family. Is there any word on the custody Yetunde's children?
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:00 AM   #5
country flag Rocketta

I don't know I just assumed Oracene has them.....but maybe their dad has custody?? or was she a widow?
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #6
country flag CJ07

CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute
I think Oracene has them
CJ07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #7
country flag Staticbeef

Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketta
Mistrial declared in Compton murder of tennis stars' half-sisterApril 29, 2005

COMPTON, Calif. (AP) -- A judge declared a second mistrial Friday in the murder case against one of two men in the fatal shooting of the half-sister of Venus and Serena Williams.

The jury reported it was 11-1 in favor of convicting Robert Edward Maxfield, the district attorney's office said.

Maxfield, 24, was accused of killing Yetunde Price with a shot in the back of the head while the woman sat in an SUV driven by her boyfriend, who was not injured.

In November, another jury deadlocked with five jurors voting to convict Maxfield, six favoring acquittal and one unable to decide, prosecutors said. The district attorney's office said Maxfield would be tried a third time starting June 28 in Superior Court.

A judge has dismissed charges against another suspect in the case, Aaron Michael Hammer, who was accused of shooting at Price but not firing the shots that killed her. State law allows a murder charge for taking part in a crime in which a person is killed by someone else. Price, 31, of Corona, owned a beauty shop and was also a personal assistant to her sisters, who began their tennis careers in Compton. Prosecutors said Maxfield was seeking revenge on another gang when he shot at the SUV carrying Price.
Damn, yesterday was such a nice day. What is the holdup????? I am of the opinion that this is what drove Vee near the edge. She has probably been asking "Why" ever since it happened, and the kids, how long before some closure on this abomination??????????
Staticbeef is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #8
country flag Rocketta

I just wonder what the 'One' Juror was thinking that made the guy innoncent?
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #9
country flag VeeReeDavJCap81

VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketta
I also don't appreciate them calling Yetunde their half sister everyone knows they were not raised like that....:
Yeah, I think that is so ridiculous. It's their SISTER regardless.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #10
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute
This is just so awful. Why can't they just convict this loser? It makes no sense at all how one juror caused this mistrial.
harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #11
country flag vettipooh

vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by harloo
This is just so awful. Why can't they just convict this loser? It makes no sense at all how one juror caused this mistrial.
at that one juror!!! How much can this family withstand?? Thank God they are a close knit one!!!!! Nothing like the love and support of family...something Vee and Rena express over and over again!!!

And It's Not Over Yet...Just Wait....Wait.
vettipooh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:44 PM   #12
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
I don't get it. If the jury voted 11 to 1 to convict Robert Maxfield of murdering Yetunde Price why is there a mistrial? I feel for the William's/Price family. There is no closure for them.

I would like to hear from the lone juror who did not vote to convict Maxfield. It's very puzzling.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 10:17 PM   #13
country flag Knizzle

Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute Knizzle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by the cat
I don't get it. If the jury voted 11 to 1 to convict Robert Maxfield of murdering Yetunde Price why is there a mistrial? I feel for the William's/Price family. There is no closure for them.

I would like to hear from the lone juror who did not vote to convict Maxfield. It's very puzzling.
Vote has to be unanimous.
Knizzle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 10:30 PM   #14
country flag Szymanowski

Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute Szymanowski has a reputation beyond repute
What are the facts behind Yetunde's children? and why is there a custody battle? I would have naturally thought the father should be given custody over Oracene, but I don't actually know the facts or details
Old May 1st, 2005, 12:07 AM   #15
country flag Kabezya

Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future Kabezya has a brilliant future
Thanks, I'm happy Oracene has the children