Has Venus Williams become a journeywoman? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #1
DA FOREHAND

DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute
Has Venus Williams become a journeywoman?

She's gone from rising star, to dominant force, to title contender, and now finally an also ran. How long will she remain in this latest stage. She seems a bit to content to lose in the quarters.

"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "

DA FOREHAND is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #2
country flag sartrista7
Registered 1

sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future sartrista7 has a brilliant future
Well, it depends how you define journeywoman. Personally, I wouldn't call anyone in the top 30 a journeywoman... given how much they all earn. It's a term reserved for players outside the top 50, really.

However, if you're the sort of person who calls the solid 7-15 players journeywomen, that is what Venus is at the moment. I know she has the talent to be more than that, but half the tour has the talent to do better than what they actually do.
sartrista7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #3
country flag Paneru

Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute
Seeing how her play has improved this year from the last
and after seeing Fed Cup and hearing Zina Garrison and
Chris Evert talking of Venus' rededication to her tennis
I have no doubt she'll soon find her way to the top again.

JMO.
Paneru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #4
DA FOREHAND

DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuke
Seeing how her play has improved this year from the last
and after seeing Fed Cup and hearing Zina Garrison and
Chris Evert talking of Venus' rededication to her tennis
I have no doubt she'll soon find her way to the top again.

JMO.

I certainly hope so, I was beginning to think Venus was saying one thing publically, but at the same time feeling quite content right where she is in her career.

"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "

DA FOREHAND is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #5
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute
Venus still gets more ink for losing before the quarters of tournaments than she does for winning. That's not the mark of a journeyman.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #6
country flag volta

volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute
i just wich that this state that she was on in her last match passes quickly i wan the dominante again ^^
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #7
country flag Staticbeef

Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future
No way does she fit the Classical definition of "Journeywoman" for at least one million reasons I feel your pain though. We love this lady sooooooooooo much that just maybe, we resist connecting her game to her personality Yes, Vee seems like the fragile type, that would be affected by people, places and things, she is not a killer like little sis. Venus has the heart of a champion, in that she has that fighting spirit that enables her to play on saving game and match points with impunity, while at the same time the makeup of her personality points to an individual that is very much ruled by emotions and is extremely caring, she is not beyond Martyrdom and IMO more than willing to sacrifice her dreams for those of a loved one, a child or an Ideal. I am hoping that maturity is the last peace of the puzzle she needs to banish those demons that imprison her in that very UN-champion like squirrel cage she has placed herself in, "The nice Girl Syndrome" I kinda want her to stay the same, and at the same time I want her to get mean and get what's rightfully hers. I will be in her corner no matter what, and have made peace with her present direction, and just wish I knew more people like her.
Staticbeef is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #8
country flag Sanneriet

Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all Sanneriet is a name known to all
At the moment, I would still classify her as a title contender, but not a favorite. If she has another year like last year, then that might change.
Sanneriet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #9
country flag Veenut

Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future Veenut has a brilliant future
For goodness sake, please remember Venus has been plagued with injuries and that also is a factor in her results. I think she is doing the right thing in giving her body some time heal before the FO, in order to give herself a better chance at winning.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #10
country flag venus_rulez
Keepin That Tutty Fresh!

venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute
Sometimes it's frustrating to watch Venus lose matches you know she would have won easily a couple years ago, but you know what I just enjoy watching her play. I mean isn't that why she's a favorite too so many people? Maybe it doesn't happen all that often, but how many people can play as brilliantly a first set as Venus did against Lindsay at amelia island from all over the court. This wasn't just baseline winners, this was beautiful play at the net, great serving, amazing defense, she's my favorite because I love her game, I love her attitude on and off the court, and I think she's a great person. So it doesn't matter if she's a journeywoman or title contender or hasbeen or whatever title any of us can come up with, because I love her whether or not she produces the results I would like her to.
venus_rulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #11
country flag kiwifan

kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute kiwifan has a reputation beyond repute
If she is then a lot of others are even more pathetic, since they'll be losing to the Journeywoman.

I look forward to, "how could ________________ lose to a Journeywoman like Venus Williams."

I was there when the ALL BLACKS won the World Cup in 2011!!!

"I don't know that I changed all that much. They just found somebody worse." - Aging tennis bad boy Jimmy Connors, referring to John McEnroe, in 1984.

There can never be too many "Sister Slams!"
kiwifan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #12
country flag Staticbeef

Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future Staticbeef has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifan
If she is then a lot of others are even more pathetic, since they'll be losing to the Journeywoman.

I look forward to, "how could ________________ lose to a Journeywoman like Venus Williams."
lol, you are so right. It is a pretty safe bet to take,That, many will lose to this "Journewoman"
Staticbeef is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 10:16 AM   #13
country flag Odd

Odd is a splendid one to behold Odd is a splendid one to behold Odd is a splendid one to behold Odd is a splendid one to behold Odd is a splendid one to behold Odd is a splendid one to behold Odd is a splendid one to behold Odd is a splendid one to behold Odd is a splendid one to behold Odd is a splendid one to behold Odd is a splendid one to behold
I think the fact that she loses to players she shouldnt, with no apparent excuses could frustrate people, but the fact is, Venus Can beat anyone if she wanted to. She proved that in miami when she beat her sister.

At the moment i feel she is a bit of an enigma, sort of like the Marat Safin of Womens tennis. She can have some shockers, but at the same time, you know she can snap out of it at any second and win like, stuff.
Odd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #14
country flag blumaroo

blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future blumaroo has a brilliant future
She has too many brilliant moments to be called a journeywoman. Her play in Antwerp was superb until the final. The Serena match in Miami was top quality tennis. I do think she'll always form a threat, but I don;t foresee another grand slam for her.
blumaroo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #15
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute
Just because shes not a top contender for slams doesnt make her a journeywoman. She is in the Top 10 for Gods sake, she wouldnt be falling out if she chose to defend Warsaw and Berlin, because her YTD results are better now than they were this time last year (minus Charleston, of course.)

I guess the ankle-biters are finally beginning to buckle, lol. Time to jump on the bandwagon of whatever player interests me and most importantly, looks like shell be the most successful.

█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote