B&L Saturday and Sunday report:) - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:16 AM   #1
PatM04

PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future
B&L Saturday and Sunday report:)

Sorry this is late but I just got home....I'll start with Saturday Well it was a great day! We arrived around 11:30 so we didn't have a lot of time before Lindsay vs Nadia started. We noticed when we were entering the grounds on the scoreboard outside that the Asagoe/Srebotnik vs Groenfeld/Medina Garrigues match was still going on on the grandstand. We decided to take a peek. Katerina was serving in the second set up 5-2. She was quickly broken by solid play from her opponents. In the next game Anna-Lena served great (she never hit a second serve) but Shinobu and Katerina were to strong. Ther game featured great rally's but Shinobu was like an animal at net and ATTACKED everything comming her way. They ended it on a great rally and a Shinobu volley that was unreturnable. After this match we made our way to the stadium to get ready to see Lindsay play. On the way we passed the practice courts and saw Stewart (whom I hit with last year ), Stosur, and Molik all warming up for doubles matches that day. We stayed long enough to watch for a few minutes and then left. So up next was Lindsay!!! She came out on FIRE! I have seen her play in person now many times and she has never played this well! There was nothing Nadia could do today. There is really nothing to say about the first set because it was over so quickly. The only thing I remember about the second set is that at 3-3 30-40 Lindsay smacked a forehand winner DTL for the break. After that, I knew she had it in the bag. She served beautifully in the next game and broke convincingly to take the match. All around GREAT match from Lindsay (props to Nadia for making a set out of it though). Up next was Silvia and Virginie. This was a very interesting match. You could tell during the warm-up that Virginie was nervous. She was very tentative at the outset of the match as well. Silvia was very solid throughout the parts of the match I saw. At 3-0 in the first set we decided to see what was going on in the grandstand. There was a lot of noise comming from over there and we didnt think there was a match scheduled so we decided to check it out. We walked up to see Lisa and Rennae battling Samantha and Bryanne in a second set tiebreak. I HAD to stay (since Bryanne was the only player I have hit with left in the tourney). I watched and cheered the whole rest of the match. The grandstand was packed as well, it was great to see that many people interested in doubles. The match was great with a lot of entertaining rallys. When it finally got to a third-set TB the stands were rocking. It was a wonderful atmosphere! In the TB Rennae fell apart! Samantha and Bryanne went up 6-0 because of 6 straight unforced errors by Rennae...very uncharacteristic. She was FURIOUS! She said the f-word quite a lot and hit three balls over the fence. After she framed a volley about 6 feet wide it was over and Bryanne and Sam had the upset Kudos to Lisa for fighting while her partner gave up though...she seemed embarassed almost to be playing with her. Hopefully Rennae can get it together. To our surprise, when the doubles was over, Singles was too...lol! Silvia had finished off Virginie and was already off court. Virginie was very gracious though and signed for everyone! She seemed very nice and was proud of her result this week. Congrats to her Next up was Martina and Alicia against Patty and Kveta. Easily the best match of the tourney (that I saw). You can't tell it on TV but Patty's touch is INCREDIBLE! She hit a dropshot volley winner that Martina and Alicia wouldn't have gotten to on rollerskates Kveta was ripping the ball in the first set and hit a ton of winners. They didn't seem to be scared of Alicia's serve either. They were going after all of their returns and it paid off. Alicia and Martina were a little flat but after 5 games got it together. Unfortunately it was a little late to save the first set. In the second set Martina and Alicia started slow but Alicia finally picked up her game. Patty and Kveta leveled off a bit and couldn't get a passing shot by Martina and Alicia. They won the set pretty easily. The third set was GREAT! I have never seen so many great rally's in my life. They were lobbing, slicing, ripping, and everything else you can do to a ball, they were doing it. In the end, it came down to the fact that Martina had to serve when they were down 5-6 in the third and her serve just isn't strong enough. It never should have been that close though as Martina and Alicia were up 4-2 in the third. After that was Bryanne/Sam against Shinobu/Katerina. We could tell after just a few games that Bryanne and Sam were going to dominate so we decided to leave. On the way out we heard some great news....Martina was signing autographs at the humane society booth! We stood in line, got autographs and pictures with Martina! She was very nice...i'll post the pictures later On the way out we passed Silvia and told her good luck (even though I was cheering for Lindsay ) When I got home my dad told me that he had seen Venus and Serena on the Amelia golf course. Read about that in general messages. There is a pic that I'll have later.

Sunday.....Well we arrived and the grounds were PACKED. Patty and Kveta were warming up so I decided to watch that for a little while. They were serving and returning, then playing out the point to one side. Rainer was there and was wearing jeans that were the same length as the Rafael Nadal pants . Then, who do we see on the grandstand playing doubles with her friends....? Martina! She had stayed in town to watch some of the matches. She was playing a friendly mixed doubles match with some friends who didn't look like pros. They were good but she was better . She was funny, at one point yelling when she missed an overhead "oh that wasn't even close"!. After watching we decided to go get ready for Lindsay. We stood by the locker room door so that they would walk right past us (which they did) and got some great pics. We then made our way into the stands. In the begining of the match, Lindsay looked great! Hitting solidly and moving Silvia around. She broke and held and I was begining to think this would be another match like the one against Nadia. WRONG! Silva turned it on when she needed to. I had no idea she was so fast! Lindsay was broken to 2-2, broke for 3-2, was broken again for 3-3. The set stayed neck and neck the rest of the way. Even though Lindsay wasn't playing her best, she was still winning which was great. When she won the set I thought she might run away with the second set but Silvia had other plans. She broke right away which was highly disturbing. At this point, for those of you watching ESPN 2, you probably heard me yelling for Lindsay...lol Silvia was getting everything back and forcing Lindsay into errors. Lindsay kept getting more and more frustrated but was hanging in there as best she could. At 4-3 Silvia was up 40-0 and I really thought we were about to see a third set. But in classic Lindsay style she hit 3 winners to get it back to deuce and finally break back...only to be broken again! The woman next to me said "now she has to win 3 games in a row". That Lindsay did. The next few games were sort of routine but the last game was fun. As I am sure you all saw, Silvia saved the first match point with a great slice down the line off of Lindsay's drop shot. In the next point Lindsay hit a beautiful forehand to draw and error from Silvia prompting a fist pump from Lindsay. In the next point both were blasting the ball. When Lindsay finally got a short ball she went after it and painted the corner with her last winner of the match She punctuated the point with a fist pump and a quiet but emphatic "c'mon". She was very gracious in the trophy presentation and seemed THRILLED to have won. After her speech she was running around the court high-fiving workers, volunteers, anyone who was there. At this point, the announcer from the tournament brought the oldest ball boy at the tourney to the court. He turns 63 Monday. He said it was his dream to be a ball boy so they let him do it at this tourney When Lindsay heard this, she put her trophy down, told the photographers to wait, and ran over to the man and the announcer. She hugged the man, took a pic with him, grabbed the mic from the announcer and said "I just wanted to say that the other day while I was playing Venus, I was sitting in my chair and heard Venus say 'Ball boy....ball boy....Ball Boy....MAN come here I need something". The entire stadium cracked up as did the man. Lindsay told him that she though it was great that he was there and she admired him and hoped he had a great time. Lindsay was VERY nice today. She then signed for everyone as well. GREAT WEEK FROM LINDSAY! We stayed for the first set of doubles and it was very routine for Sam and Bryanne. Patty and Kveta were flat and couldn't do much today. Congrats to my girls in that win

Overall I had a great time! It was one of the best years I've gone to this tourney I recommend going if you ever get a chance. Sorry this is so long but I just wanted to do it all at once! B&L pictures later this week

www.tiffanydabek.com
www.saraevans.com

Last edited by PatM04 : Apr 11th, 2005 at 05:22 AM.
PatM04 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #2
country flag Farina Elia Fan
Team WTAworld

Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute
thats like you had a great time
Farina Elia Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote