Billie Jean King Admiration Thread! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 07:25 PM   #1
country flag Barrie_Dude

Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Billie Jean King Admiration Thread!

Billie Jean has done so much for tennis and I idolize her! She is my all time favorite! I am hoping that she has some other fans here!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:20 AM   #2
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Barrie

I adore BJK as well. I have dealt with her over recent years and she has always been wonderful and has sent me a few classic gifts (including one of her original Teddy Tinling outfits and a wooden racket) in appreciation for videos I have provided her from her past matches.

Anyway, I have some great pics of her that I will try to post soon, trouble is most of my photos exceed the file size allowed on this site. Does anyone know how to reduce the file size of photos?

Funny, I used to dislike her back in the 70s when she was playing, but when she made a few comebacks and did so well at Wimbledon in 82 and 83 it really made me look at her in a different light. Since then, I have idolised her and love watching re-runs of her matches in the 60s and 70s on video. You just know she was giving it her all, and more.

Long live Billie-Jean!

Last edited by tennisvideos : Apr 2nd, 2002 at 03:45 AM.
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:33 AM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Funny how views change isn't it Tennisvideos? By the time I found tennis King was past her prime, so I always cheered for her. Her upset of Tracy Austin at Wimbledon in 1982 was a feast of contrasts in age and palying style, the type we don't see today. Then she went on and almost beat Chris Evert in the semis!

My all-time LOL quote about Billie Jean comes from Pam Shriver's 'Passing Shots".
Quote:
What a competitor. What an inspiration. What a bitch
Love her or hate her-King has been the most influential tennis personality EVER
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:05 AM   #4
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Rollo

LMAO at Austin's quote - what a classic.

Yes, it is interesting how time can change one's perception of a player. I guess it also helps if they have been through adversity or are on the comeback trail..

Anyone who can play competitively as King did in her late 30s deserves kudos. And yes, that King v Austin QF was a classic of the highest order, and as you mentioned, Kind almost stole the SF against Evert. She just lost the first set TB before rolling Evert in the 2nd set. Another wonderful match.
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2002, 03:56 PM   #5
country flag Barrie_Dude

Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute Barrie_Dude has a reputation beyond repute
Billie Jean is something else all together! She was the one that hooked me on tennis back in 73 when she had the match with Bobby Riggs!
Old Jan 1st, 2003, 03:56 AM   #6
country flag Barrie_Dude

What?!?!? No BJK Fans?
Old Jan 1st, 2003, 04:44 AM   #7
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Whoops! Look at her skirt!

BJK at Orange (a warmup for the US Open) on grass in 1962

She was still known as "little Miss Moffitt" in those days.

62 again. Gosh she was an exhibitionist even then

At Forest Hills in 1963-she had glorious form on the backhand

Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 02:16 PM   #8
country flag way

way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts
Just popping in to say I just watched her 74 Forest Hils final vs Goolagong.
What tennis!
God bless her.
What a donkey I am to bandwagon the silly trend to put these real pioneers and heroes in out back garden!
way is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 04:08 AM   #9
Zummi

Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold Zummi is a splendid one to behold
Billie Jean King is truly one of the greatest women in history. Period.
Zummi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:30 AM   #10
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
The Court/King frosty relationship is well known, and it is well known that Marg disapproved of Kings Women's Lib thing. King had the last word in this I feel saying 'Court is Women's Lib in action. She is earning the money whilst Barry is minding the kids'!!!
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 12:21 PM   #11
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
Finally picked up BJK auto for $5 at a 2nd hand store.

Should be something worth reading....
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:28 AM   #12
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Bump from a new Billie Jean King admirer!
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 11:23 PM   #13
billie_jean_king

billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice billie_jean_king is just really nice
Now this is more like it! A thread to worship me!

I love you all.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 01:04 AM   #14
country flag Ann Jones

Ann Jones is just really nice Ann Jones is just really nice Ann Jones is just really nice Ann Jones is just really nice Ann Jones is just really nice Ann Jones is just really nice Ann Jones is just really nice Ann Jones is just really nice Ann Jones is just really nice Ann Jones is just really nice Ann Jones is just really nice
I don't love you Billie.
Ann Jones is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:04 PM   #15
country flag R&J

R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Funny how views change isn't it Tennisvideos? By the time I found tennis King was past her prime, so I always cheered for her. Her upset of Tracy Austin at Wimbledon in 1982 was a feast of contrasts in age and palying style, the type we don't see today. Then she went on and almost beat Chris Evert in the semis!

My all-time LOL quote about Billie Jean comes from Pam Shriver's 'Passing Shots".

Love her or hate her-King has been the most influential tennis personality EVER
She has done sooo much for Womens tennis/tennis in general. She definately gets a CHEER FROM US!
Check out the Photo Gallery to view thousands of photos from Monica's career.

R&J is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote