Why do the William's sisters have a hard time holding serve? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 01:41 AM   #1
country flag Oneofakind0490

Oneofakind0490 has a reputation beyond repute Oneofakind0490 has a reputation beyond repute Oneofakind0490 has a reputation beyond repute Oneofakind0490 has a reputation beyond repute Oneofakind0490 has a reputation beyond repute Oneofakind0490 has a reputation beyond repute Oneofakind0490 has a reputation beyond repute Oneofakind0490 has a reputation beyond repute Oneofakind0490 has a reputation beyond repute Oneofakind0490 has a reputation beyond repute Oneofakind0490 has a reputation beyond repute
Why do the William's sisters have a hard time holding serve?

Is it me or does anyone else notice this? They both have two of the biggest serves in tennis and they still have plenty of trouble to hold serve. I know both of them did have stomach problems and are trying not to re-injure themselves. Serena is currently is haveing plenty of trouble against Sivia Farina Elia holding serve.

+Serena Williams+Mary Pierce+Christina McHale+
Oneofakind0490 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 01:44 AM   #2
country flag kabuki

kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute
It's not just the WS. It's the whole WTA.
kabuki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 02:02 AM   #3
country flag kosmikgroove

kosmikgroove has a reputation beyond repute kosmikgroove has a reputation beyond repute kosmikgroove has a reputation beyond repute kosmikgroove has a reputation beyond repute kosmikgroove has a reputation beyond repute kosmikgroove has a reputation beyond repute kosmikgroove has a reputation beyond repute kosmikgroove has a reputation beyond repute kosmikgroove has a reputation beyond repute kosmikgroove has a reputation beyond repute kosmikgroove has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuki
breaks of serve are so common the WTA... i remember in the second set of the FO Semi with Dementieva vs. Suarez, the first hold of serve happened in something like the 9th game... that's insane!
kosmikgroove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 02:05 AM   #4
country flag fammmmedspin

fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future
They raised the bar on serving. Other people couldn't return. Then the tour learnt to deal with it. The serve were left with their technical weaknesses exposed and/or the serve helped injure them so they couldn't do it as well. You end up with an unreliable returnable serve matched by others for speed and a game built around it being a dominating weapon when its no longer as dominating.

Take out Davenport (except sometimes in key situations) Momo (except when it matters) and Kim and Alicia (on a good day) and Maria (most days) and most of the top 20 are in the same boat - though they don't have the memory of something better to worry about and many certainly don't expect their serves to do big things for them..
fammmmedspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 02:09 AM   #5
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
struggling? Hmm..now against Silvia Serena's a bit off....but against Mary only lost serve once and had like 13 aces....what r we talking about?

Yeah....of course we have seen Serena's days of truly dominating with her serve....but even today it is by no means bad.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 02:09 AM   #6
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future
Quote:
Precisely!!!
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #7
country flag Paialii

Paialii has much to be proud of Paialii has much to be proud of Paialii has much to be proud of Paialii has much to be proud of Paialii has much to be proud of Paialii has much to be proud of Paialii has much to be proud of Paialii has much to be proud of Paialii has much to be proud of Paialii has much to be proud of Paialii has much to be proud of
Not sure why breaks of serves are so common on the WTA side of things. On the men's side, if your serve is broken in a set, you can pretty much kiss that set goodbye; atleast when you're playing the top dogs. In women's tennis, a break means nothing.

The Williams' don't have any more trouble than anyone else on the WTA holding serve, but they tend to get lazy on their service games. As someone else stated, their serve used to be a huge weapon. I remember the 2001 Semifinals against Hingis when Serena had a 100% serving percentage in the second set... just amazing serving. Their serve has gone downhill extremely bad, and until they stop worrying about the power and start worrying about what's wrong technically with their (referring to the Williams') serves, nothing will change.

A better question... why hasn't Serena broken 130mph yet?

Serena Williams
Martina Navratilova
Steffi Graf
Paialii is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 02:13 AM   #8
country flag slydevil6142

slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of slydevil6142 has much to be proud of
All women tenni splayers are going to have this problem simply b/c your not going to see any player on the wta tour to hit serves in the 130's or high and lets face it anyone in the top 100 can handel a serve from 110-100... thats why power alone wont cut it. All the top players are going to hold more easily b/c thats why they are top players but Venus nor Serena lose serve anymore than the other top players.
Queen of Grass: Venus Williams
7 time grand slam champion, Olympic Champion,
The Tour Standard! .... still haha!
slydevil6142 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 02:43 AM   #9
country flag VeeReeDavJCap81

VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly, it's more Venus that has trouble holding than Serena.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 03:06 AM   #10
country flag Julia1968

Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all
Quote:
No its not
Julia1968 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 03:11 AM   #11

VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute VeeReeDavJCap81 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I couldn't have said it better myself.
LMAO!!!! So clever.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 03:29 AM   #12
country flag Julia1968

Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all Julia1968 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeReeDavJCap81
LMAO!!!! So clever.
It just did IT in another thread. No longer clever or original.
Julia1968 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 03:34 AM   #13
country flag kabuki

kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia1968
I wish I had a life.
We know, Julia. Have a nice day!!!
kabuki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 03:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia1968
It just did IT in another thread. No longer clever or original.
Aw come on Julia. You were starting to be nice and post objectively. Now you're back to your old tricks.
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #15
country flag Stamp Paid
Sir Camaraderie

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeReeDavJCap81
Aw come on Julia. You were starting to be nice and post objectively. Now you're back to your old tricks.
LOL, when we lie down with dogs, we get fleas.

We shall never repeat these mistakes, shall we?

Example: You see how "Julia's" initial bait was ignored and she came back to the thread like a desperate dog in heat, hoping and prodding for more provocation? "Julia" NEEDS us, dont you know that we OWN her? Without us, she is NON-EXISTENT!

"Julia" is best when ignored, then she no longer serves a function and fades into mediocrity and insignificance, just like all other pathetic Bovina fans. (Just for you, "Jules" ).

Lets try that, VeeRee.

██████████████████ʘ
Ashe. Gibson. Williams. Williams.
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote