Loudmouth Gadusek says, "I will beat Chris Evert"...prior to being promptly bageled. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #1
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Loudmouth Gadusek says, "I will beat Chris Evert"...prior to being promptly bageled.

Don't know if anyone was aware of, or remembers, that before the 1984 thrashing Chris handed Hana Mandlikova at Wimbledon after some interpreted comments about beating Chris, and the subsequent thrashing by Chris of Pamela Howard Shriver in 1985 at Newport after similarly interpreted comments about being able to beat Chris, that there was a CLEAR FORERUNNER to these events!

In 1983, in Deerpark Florida, none other than Bonnie "The Animal" Gadusek showed up in the finals wearing matching fake-leopard-skin belt & hat-visor. She boldly told the press she would beat Chris Evert, and that she had no doubt about it. This was going much further than Hana or Pam. And unlike Pam or Hana, Bonnie wasnt top 5 when she said it...or top ten, for that matter.

When reminded that Chris does not lose in Florida on clay, with her ravenous hometown support, Gadusek said, "Yes, I will beat her in front of all those who love her most, on her home court"!!!!

hahahahaha...

I had no idea she was such an animal. And a furry little rascal she was, like a squirrel being shot at by a canon.

"Bonnie wants what Chris has," Mary Carillo said, "and what can I say, she obviously thinks she is going to win today."

After Chris closed out the first set 6-0 in about 25 minutes, Ms. Gadusek looked much more sheepish than leopard. Carillo sensed by the 3rd game, "I am taking this to mean that Chris means to categorically dismantle Gadusek in front of this crowd."

At 3-3 in the 2nd, she seemed to be getting her footing (of course, she would never be able to show her face at a pro event again if she didn't!), but Carillo was no less impressed than in the first set, saying, "Chris has missed a couple of shots in this set, but she is still hitting the ball firmly all over the court, hitting every single line, I think to give Bonnie an idea of just how this sport can be played."

But Gadusek did fight valliantly at 3-5 in the second to save a series of match points, and credit should be given there. Her 4-6 second set showing was admirable considering the circumstances.

Afterwards, Evert said, "Her attitude is good: no one should go out there believing they are going to lose. But if you're ranked number 20 in the world, you might want to give the top players a little more respect. Sometimes you have to let your racquet do your talking."

Last edited by daze11 : Aug 15th, 2010 at 10:00 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #2
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
I love Bud Collins' description of the Evert versus Gadusek US Open quarters in 1982:

"Surprisingly Chrissie's stiffest test came from unseeded 19-year-old Bonnie Gadusek in a 4-6 6-1 6-0 quarter-final. Gadusek rallied cleverly with Evert Lloyd to take the first set and the first game of the second, only to tire and slide beneath a 12-game Evert Lloyd avalanche"
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Great story Daze. I might have watched this (was it a night match? for some reason I'm thinking night match) but forgotten the part about Bonnie opening her mouth.

Chrissie must have figured if Gadusek was hungry she needed to feed her a bagel! LOL@Evert
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #4
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Great story Daze. I might have watched this (was it a night match? for some reason I'm thinking night match) but forgotten the part about Bonnie opening her mouth.

Chrissie must have figured if Gadusek was hungry she needed to feed her a bagel! LOL@Evert
good recollection, Rollo, it WAS a 'nightfall' match; almost night...and the sun was going down on miss bonnie! reading it, doesnt it sound like i just made it up?? its so funny and surreal, it seems like a story we would write in BFTP just to crack each other up with. and yet, reality is stranger than fiction!

at the end of the match, mary carillo puts her arm around chrissie and points over at bonnie, "you see?! you brought this upon yourSELF!" in a thug-like gangster way. it was very funny, but you could tell, not EVERYONE (BG)... necessarily thought it was funny.

Last edited by daze11 : Apr 8th, 2005 at 03:20 AM.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 02:51 AM   #5
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Hahhaaha! Bonnie Gadusek was such a skank-o-rama.
A true boar...er, bore.
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #6
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
I saw the last two matches on tv. Evert beat Anne Smith who had come out of a short retirement and then Gadusek.

BTW, the tournament was a hard court tournament.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #7
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherfan
I saw the last two matches on tv. Evert beat Anne Smith who had come out of a short retirement and then Gadusek.

BTW, the tournament was a hard court tournament.
you're right!! since it was dusk, the court looked so dark it seemed like hartru. thanks for the correction. the comment they made was about chris' unbeatability in that deerpark tournament, where she had won it the first 3 years.

Last edited by daze11 : Apr 8th, 2005 at 03:31 AM.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #8
country flag daze11

heres a part i forgot, worth mentioning: taking a page out of muhammed ali's textbook, bonnie gadusek said, "I play one of two ways: very good and great." fiesty, i will give her that.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #9
country flag Pamela Shriver

Pamela Shriver has a reputation beyond repute Pamela Shriver has a reputation beyond repute Pamela Shriver has a reputation beyond repute Pamela Shriver has a reputation beyond repute Pamela Shriver has a reputation beyond repute Pamela Shriver has a reputation beyond repute Pamela Shriver has a reputation beyond repute Pamela Shriver has a reputation beyond repute Pamela Shriver has a reputation beyond repute Pamela Shriver has a reputation beyond repute Pamela Shriver has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
and the subsequent thrashing by Chris of Pamela Howard Shriver in 1985 at Newport
Ahh...I'd only just erased this memory from my nightmares. Back to the therapist I go...
~I Loves My George but not that skanky Lazenby granddad~This game has gone to DOOSE~~I won the Olympic Gold~~The BEST commentator~~My vowels rulez the air~~ Ping-Pong Pam~~Style Guru: The Pamfro, Voted Hairstyle of the Yr 1983~~Click here to see my fantastic web site created by my adoring 'fan'
Pamela Shriver is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #10
country flag daze11

i had to bump this for anyone who hasnt read it. everytime i see gadusek's name on something, i think, "the ANIMAL gadusek'!!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 04:56 AM   #11
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of
Oh Bonnie! The first tennis pro that I ever saw live. VS of Chicago semis 1985! She throttled Wendy Turnbull. I was at once intrigued by her tight spiral perm and signature visor. I rooted for her to win because she was the prettier of the two. Bonnie went on to take the title and play approximately seven more professional matches before retiring in '87.

The former gymnast who gained fame for falling off the parrallel bars and landing at Harry Hopman's had one of the strangest most injury plagued careers in history. I believe she played for approx. 4 years and in that time played 3 GS tournaments and 78 clay court events in South Florida. Never without her knee brace or her "eye of the tiger". Bonnie was the epitome of the '80's tennis pro. Very Flashdance.
PamShriver is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #12
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute
Bonnie made the top 10 in a time when the only tennis you got on UK television was basically Wimbledon and the Eastbourne final. I only saw her play once and was excited to do so as her's was a name you always saw doing pretty well in the newspaper results sections. The match I saw her play was against Anne Hobbs, where Bonnie won a dour 3 setter in the Wightman Cup and I remembering wondering how she'd got as far as the top 10. I guess she must have had more to offer than she showed that day.
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #13
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute

The story is hilarious. And everyone in GM thinks today's girls are brash divas.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #14
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingis-seles

The story is hilarious. And everyone in GM thinks today's girls are brash divas.

If I may borrow a line from Delores Claiborne played by the wonderful Ms. Kathy Bates, womens tennis in the 80's was, "three square meals of pure b*tchery."