Is Maria an overachiever or an underachiever? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #1
country flag Sharapower

Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future
Is Maria an overachiever or an underachiever?

There seems to be valid arguments for both:

- overachiever, because she's not a "natural talent" like, say, Serena, Hingis, Henin or Vika in terms of strokes, "weapons", movement etc. Yet she made career slam and just won her 5th GS.

- underachiever, because her thunderous 2004 seemed to promise a record-breaking career in the tennis hall of fame...

So which one is it, so far, in your opinion?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Sharapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #2
country flag Pimp_Me_Pova

Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold Pimp_Me_Pova is a splendid one to behold
Underachiever...
If shoulder didn't bother her... who knows..
But this situations are all, what if...
Well i wouldn't she that she doesn't have natural talent, if she doesn't she would won major at 17

Maria Sharapova, Kim Aussie Clijsters, Roger Fedex Federer, Petra Kvitova, JMDP, Sabine Lisicki
Pimp_Me_Pova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #3
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Maria an overachiever or an underachiever?

I feel like she should've cleared up more titles in her younger years. I mean I am super proud of her achievements, but she should be closing in on 40 titles not just passing the periphery of 30. That being said she more than likely can get there to challenge Hingis
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #4
Rogue.

Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold

I think she's underachieved, but that can certainly change in the next couple of years.

Her career trajectory is starting to remind me a lot of Agassi. Both were stars early on before being knocked down by injuries that slowed them for years. Both returned in their mid-to-late 20s fitter than ever and challenged for slams. Hell, they both won their first four majors in the same order.
Rogue. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #5
country flag Sharapower

Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue. View Post
I think she's underachieved, but that can certainly change in the next couple of years.

Her career trajectory is starting to remind me a lot of Agassi. Both were stars early on before being knocked down by injuries that slowed them for years. Both returned in their mid-to-late 20s fitter than ever and challenged for slams. Hell, they both won their first four majors in the same order.
Wow! Kudos for bringing attention to those similarity factoids between Agassi and Maria. Most interesting.

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #6
country flag Sharakim
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future

Quote:

If this similarity in career trajectory holds up, I will be so happy to see her contend for majors well into her 30s. Imagine Maria with a 20 year career? Amazing! For me, I think she has also underachieved up to this point. The shoulder injury did set her back a bit, but it's actually a blessing in disguise because it did two things. It allowed her time to improve her movement, conditioning, and return game. It also extended her playing career by a few years because she might be burned out by now if she'd played non stop from her teens (like Henin did). She realized during her time off how much passion for tennis she really has, and it helped her become the career-slammer she is now. Hopefully, she can bag a few more slams (frenchie's and wimby please! ) and raise her greatness. Oh, and I'd love to see her take gold in Rio, on CLAY!
Sharakim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #7
country flag Sharapower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp_Me_Pova View Post
Well i wouldn't she that she doesn't have natural talent, if she doesn't she would won major at 17

Yeah I know, I used "natural talent" for lack of a better term.

Anyway "talent" in itself is a weird, somewhat nebulous concept. My point is that there often seems to be some awkwardness in the way she moves or hits the ball, and there is a wide palette of shots that she's not really versed in.

It's such fun to see so-called tennis-purists being irked that Maria wins big without meeting their standards of aesthetics and variety.

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #8
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future

Definitely under-achieved. Barring the obvious time lost due to the shoulder injuries, she really should've won a few of those close nailbiters that she lost in her teenpova years, even some slams
domon17th is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #9
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhat of an underachiever, but through no fault of her own. On the other hand, overachiever because you're not supposed to come back from such injuries as strong as she has (or even at all).

Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #10
country flag Sharapower

Quote:
Originally Posted by domon17th View Post
Definitely under-achieved. Barring the obvious time lost due to the shoulder injuries, she really should've won a few of those close nailbiters that she lost in her teenpova years, even some slams

Ahhh... The old days of Semipova...

Old Jun 10th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #11
country flag DoublefaultPova

DoublefaultPova is a name known to all DoublefaultPova is a name known to all DoublefaultPova is a name known to all DoublefaultPova is a name known to all DoublefaultPova is a name known to all DoublefaultPova is a name known to all DoublefaultPova is a name known to all DoublefaultPova is a name known to all DoublefaultPova is a name known to all DoublefaultPova is a name known to all DoublefaultPova is a name known to all

I know it was Kim's destiny to win the 2005 USO, but I really think Maria woud've won against Pierce in the final had she won the 3rd set in the semi against Kim.

AO 2005 is another one... But that one hurts too much. That match has had such an impact on the rest of her career.

Last edited by DoublefaultPova : Jun 10th, 2014 at 09:19 PM.
DoublefaultPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #12
Rogue.

Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold Rogue. is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by domon17th View Post
She was so young then that it's hard for me to hold those against her. The only one that really stung was the AO semi against Serena, but even if she had won that there was no guarantee she would have beat Davenport in the final.

That Wimbledon final against Kvitova is The One That Got Away for me, because it was a golden opportunity against a slam final rookie. The 2011 French Open loss to Li Na also bothered me for ages, but now that she's won the French twice I don't really care. And the way she came out totally flat against Li at the Aussie Open last year was excruciating.
Rogue. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #13
country flag Sharakim
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future

Quote:
She was so young then that it's hard for me to hold those against her. The only one that really stung was the AO semi against Serena, but even if she had won that there was no guarantee she would have beat Davenport in the final.

That Wimbledon final against Kvitova is The One That Got Away for me, because it was a golden opportunity against a slam final rookie. The 2011 French Open loss to Li Na also bothered me for ages, but now that she's won the French twice I don't really care. And the way she came out totally flat against Li at the Aussie Open last year was excruciating.
I was in serious pain during that Li AO semi. I'm chinese but I will never support Li Na after what she has done to Maria at FO11 and AO13. That Roland Garros 2011 semi-final loss hurts me to this day because I firmly believe that had she made it to the final, she could've beaten Fran, and it's likely we'd be looking at a 3 time FO champ today. Still, she still has some time to get more titles. I fancy her chances at this years wimbledon and US. She has almost nothing to defend, and not as much pressure after the french. If her health and conditioning holds up, she could come away with a second slam before years end.

Don't forget that she was still developing in her teens, and she didn't really start to have the powerful body she does today until age 20. So I'm not as upset about the early losses. However, if she'd beaten Henin at AO06, I think she could've beaten Momo in the final that year.
Sharakim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #14
country flag fed_up

fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future fed_up has a brilliant future

Neither. What you achieves is what defines you. Unless she beat someone or was beating by cheating, she got what she had been able to get.
fed_up is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #15
country flag malarkist

malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute malarkist has a reputation beyond repute

i still feel that she's an underachiever. should've converted more slam final wins
malarkist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote