Come On Be Honest. Why Is Maria Praised For Ball Bashing? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:47 AM   #1
country flag Lolo8

Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of
Come On Be Honest. Why Is Maria Praised For Ball Bashing?

It's not about starting another Anti Maria thread, its a very fair question. Maria is all about POWER. It's called big babe tennis. You can put Davenport, Serena and Venus in that category. But why were the Williams cruxcified for years for their power tennis causing alot to say that the Williams are bad for tennis and that they are the downfall of womens tennis yet Maria is considered a genuis for it? It's a fair question. Maria is like Andy Roddick. Just bash the ball to death to make it impossible that your opponent can't return the ball. If Maria is down, we get to hear endlessy from the commentators how she 'fights' back, but all she does is turn up the power when she's down and out and bashes the ball real hard back to her opponent. Maria is the female Andy Roddick. I notice when they talk about Venus and Serena's game they always mention the word power. I don't hear the word power mentioned in Maria's game. Suggesting that Venus and serena are just simply to brutes just slugging it out and Maria has variety.

Last edited by Lolo8 : Mar 27th, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
Lolo8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:50 AM   #2
country flag @m@nd@

@m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute
umm...no...actually...she has power, control, and variety....which is good.
@m@nd@ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:51 AM   #3
country flag Greenout

Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute
As in real life and hailing for cabs; a pretty face can get you a little
bit further than others.

"I hung onto tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years.
It is something that is in me, it is me." - JH
Greenout is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:51 AM   #4
country flag Lolo8

Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of Lolo8 has much to be proud of
What variety? I have yet to see it.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:52 AM   #5
country flag Jakeev

Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute
People seem to think that just because Maria won Wimbledon last year, she should be this extroardinary player day in and day out.

HOGWASH!!!!!!!

She is barely 18 for crying out loud and still developing as a player.

Now if Maria is still around when she is 24 and has let the world passed her by because she still plays the way when she was 17, than please by all means start a thread then and bemoan her.

But give it a rest already.......
Jakeev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM   #6
country flag Lolo8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeev
People seem to think that just because Maria won Wimbledon last year, she should be this extroardinary player day in and day out.

HOGWASH!!!!!!!

She is barely 18 for crying out loud and still developing as a player.

Now if Maria is still around when she is 24 and has let the world passed her by because she still plays the way when she was 17, than please by all means start a thread then and bemoan her.

But give it a rest already.......
Give it a rest? It's a fair question that no one talks about.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:59 AM   #7
country flag @m@nd@

@m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute @m@nd@ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo8
What variety? I have yet to see it.
well she does hit dropshots and tries to go to net more often but unfortunately is not very good at volleying
@m@nd@ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:00 AM   #8
country flag Jakeev

Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Give it a rest? It's a fair question that no one talks about.
I just answered your question in my last post.........so I say again.......give it a rest.......
Jakeev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:10 AM   #9
country flag margaret_gn

margaret_gn is a glorious beacon of light margaret_gn is a glorious beacon of light margaret_gn is a glorious beacon of light margaret_gn is a glorious beacon of light margaret_gn is a glorious beacon of light margaret_gn is a glorious beacon of light margaret_gn is a glorious beacon of light margaret_gn is a glorious beacon of light margaret_gn is a glorious beacon of light margaret_gn is a glorious beacon of light margaret_gn is a glorious beacon of light
I wouldn't call Maria's game 'power'...'power' is Serena, Alicia Molik etc but what I've noticed about Maria's game is her accuracy. In Wimbledon last year she hit lots of really good angled shots. From the Aus Open (in sydney we don't get the privilege of watching indian wells/miami...only the matches i taped from the aussie tourneys ) she didn't play that well, nothing memorable and I've been trying to figure out how she got as far as the semis, and again, accuracy...cos she didn't get that many unforced errors...(and her winners stats weren't that high either).

So yeah, I don't think her game's that powerful at all. If she wants to be put in that same category as Roddick she needs to put on some weight and commentators aren't raving about her power either, only for the fact that she's young, blonde, has won wimbly etc etc...
jelena jankovic ~ ana ivanovic ~ maria sharapova ~ daniela hantuchova ~ lucie safarova ~ agnieszka radwanska ~ maria kirilenko ~ michaella krajicek ~ gisela dulko ~ smantha stosur ~ alicia molik ~ caroline wozniacki ~ sofia arvidsson
tennis photos from 2008 ~ tennis photos pre 2008 ~ tennis reports
margaret_gn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:13 AM   #10
country flag Dinkie

Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of Dinkie has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenout
As in real life and hailing for cabs; a pretty face can get you a little
bit further than others.
So true, I agree.

And please don't call her the female Andy Roddick, at least Roddick got game.
Dinkie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:16 AM   #11
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute
Maria does hit with a lot of power but she is very accurate and consistant. She wins by pushing her opponents back with deep heavy balls. I dont see whats wrong how is winning with spins and finese any different to winning with power
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:23 AM   #12
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
It's not about starting another Anti Maria thread, its a very fair question. Maria is all about POWER. It's called big babe tennis. You can put Davenport, Serena and Venus in that category. But why were the Williams cruxcified for years for their power tennis causing alot to say that the Williams are bad for tennis and that they are the downfall of womens tennis yet Maria is considered a genuis for it? It's a fair question. Maria is like Andy Roddick. Just bash the ball to death to make it impossible that your opponent can't return the ball. If Maria is down, we get to hear endlessy from the commentators how she 'fights' back, but all she does is turn up the power when she's down and out and bashes the ball real hard back to her opponent. Maria is the female Andy Roddick. I notice when they talk about Venus and Serena's game they always mention the word power. I don't hear the word power mentioned in Maria's game. Suggesting that Venus and serena are just simply to brutes just slugging it out and Maria has variety.
Your just another Hater, all the things you have said so far on this forum where about Maria in a bad way, get a life !!

And she does a lot more then just power, people who think that haven't seen her play or just don't wanna see anything !!

Wimbledon 04 US Open 06
Australian Open 08 Roland Garros 2012
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:25 AM   #13
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
whatever !!

Wimbledon 04 US Open 06
Australian Open 08 Roland Garros 2012
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:30 AM   #14
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaret_gn
I wouldn't call Maria's game 'power'...'power' is Serena, Alicia Molik etc but what I've noticed about Maria's game is her accuracy. In Wimbledon last year she hit lots of really good angled shots. From the Aus Open (in sydney we don't get the privilege of watching indian wells/miami...only the matches i taped from the aussie tourneys ) she didn't play that well, nothing memorable and I've been trying to figure out how she got as far as the semis, and again, accuracy...cos she didn't get that many unforced errors...(and her winners stats weren't that high either).

So yeah, I don't think her game's that powerful at all. If she wants to be put in that same category as Roddick she needs to put on some weight and commentators aren't raving about her power either, only for the fact that she's young, blonde, has won wimbly etc etc...
So you say accuracy?? Interesting!!
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:33 AM   #15
country flag hablo

hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute hablo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkie
So true, I agree.

And please don't call her the female Andy Roddick, at least Roddick got game.
I'm sorry I just don't like Andy!!

And to think that people like MacEnroe were dissing Goran saying all he had was a serve and then drooling all over Roddick is just too much for me!! (this has nothing to do with your post, just ranting and raving!! ) . . . Mind you, Roddick is supposed to also possess a fantastic forehand!!
hablo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote