Another no. 1 who can not consistently beat VENUS and SERENA? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 10:43 PM   #1
TeeRexx

TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice
Another no. 1 who can not consistently beat VENUS and SERENA?

Capriati is continuing a tradition that seems to have started almost three years ago.
Being ranked no. 1 and losing on a regular basis to VENUS and SERENA WILLIAMS.

First Hingis, then Davenport and now Capriati.

It has got to be tough for these players to feel comfortable calling themselves No. 1 when there are two players beating them, who many consider the top two players on the tour.

Hopefully, the Williams will get the official #1 and 2 rankings that will put the tour in the proper perspective.
TeeRexx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 10:45 PM   #2
GoDominiqu
Team WTAworld

GoDominiqu is an unknown quantity at this point GoDominiqu is an unknown quantity at this point GoDominiqu is an unknown quantity at this point
If Jennifer had played Venus here she would have trounced her 6-2 6-2 just like Serena.

Not Jennifer's fault that Venus is playing too badly to reach the final ...
GoDominiqu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2002, 10:48 PM   #3
country flag AjdeNate!
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.

AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute
Jen | Serena head to head is 4:4, right?
AjdeNate! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2002, 10:49 PM   #4
country flag Berlin_Calling

Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute Berlin_Calling has a reputation beyond repute
Teerex, what your saying is true BUT Venus and Serena are two different players. There are players that can beat Venus often and some that can sometimes beat Serena. What your saying is just like saying that Venus was not a good number 1 because she can't beat Martina consistently but she can defeat other players like Davenport consistently. Even world #1's have their share of losses to top players. Even Steffi Graf had some trouble with Coetzer when They played, but that doesn't mean that Steffi (Stefanie) didn't deserve to be #1. In a way, your going against your own word.

mary pierce - forever #1
vaidisova - kournikova - golovin - henin
the boys - federer - gasquet - del potro - haase - nishikori
Berlin_Calling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2002, 10:49 PM   #5
cheeky

cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice cheeky is just really nice
i very much doubt that!!!!
i'm just happy that Serena was able to win and keep this trophy in the family
cheeky is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2002, 10:49 PM   #6
RockSteady

RockSteady has a little shameless behaviour in the past
When Hingis was #1 on tour, she always beat the Williams sisters. She's 0-2 against Serena when she hasn't been #1. So that would make her 10-7 against Venus + 6-5 against Serena at #1 for a winning record total of 16-12.

And Venus and Serena will never be #1 & 2, because when they start to play more tournaments in a row, they get tired physically and mentally, as Venus has proven so far this year. It is very easy to come into a tournament fresh as a daisy and beat players like Martina and Monica who just reached their 5th final in 5 weeks in 5 different countries. I'd like to see either sister do that and still win the tournaments they do.

I understand, TeeRexx, that you live off both of these two players and spend hours at a time, every day, reminding us how wonderful they are, but would it hurt you to look at things from a different point of view? Or will you forever have those glasses with the Williams tint?
RockSteady is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2002, 10:50 PM   #7
TeeRexx

TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice
GoDom

I think that VENUS' record against Cap is 4:0.
Unless, of course, they played a few matches in secret.
Old Mar 30th, 2002, 10:55 PM   #8
TeeRexx

For RockSteady and others who may be reading impaired:

What I wrote:
--------------
Capriati is continuing a tradition that seems to have started almost three years ago.
--------------

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 10:57 PM   #9
country flag AjdeNate!
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.

AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute
True, Venus did sometimes beat herself when she was #1.... And NEVER EVER EVER beat Serena then....
J/K
AjdeNate! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2002, 10:59 PM   #10
GoDominiqu
Team WTAworld

GoDominiqu is an unknown quantity at this point GoDominiqu is an unknown quantity at this point GoDominiqu is an unknown quantity at this point
And why did you mention Serena as well in the topic ?

Looking at Grand Slam results which are the most important after all, Jen leads Serena 2-0. Now she has lost, and on Serena's favourite surface. If she can beat Serena on clay and greass, I think she will be happy.
Same for the 0-4 against Venus. These matches were ALL on hard-courts, and I completely agree that Serena and Venus are the dominant players on hardcourts, no doubt about that.
Let them play Jennifer on clay and we will see.

And it's not fair to talk about Serena and Venus as if they were one person. They battled out who should be the one to challenge Jennifer and Serena won easily. But she beat Jennifer only by an inch. So what does that tell ? Jennifer would have beaten Venus here.
GoDominiqu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2002, 11:00 PM   #11
RockSteady

RockSteady has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I'm amazed how easy you find it to chop off half of the matches Hingis plays against them, just so the record is in the Williams favor. A losing record is a losing record, any way you look at it.

Inspired by you, my next thread:

STEFFI HASN'T BEATEN MARTINA IN FOUR YEARS!

(Insert obnoxious pictures)
(Insert paragraphs on how Steffi has lost her touch)
(Insert annoying smiley faces)
(Insult anyone that disagrees with me)
RockSteady is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2002, 11:04 PM   #12
babsi

babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future
Since Jen became #1 in October 2001 she has played:

Venus 0 times
Serena 2 times and lost

I think that the title is VERY misleading

babsi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2002, 11:12 PM   #13
TeeRexx

How true, Babsi!

To GoDom:
---------
But she beat Jennifer only by an inch. So what does that tell ?
--------

We are playing tennis, not horse shoes or hand grenades.
Old Mar 30th, 2002, 11:16 PM   #14
venusfan

venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of venusfan has much to be proud of
OKAY... Venus,Capriati and Serena are the top 3 players in the world. no offense Hingis fans..

Cant wait to see the final today
"I told her, `You don't want to get into a hitting battle with Sharapova, because it would be uneven for Sharapova, because Sharapova only has one good side and that's her backhand,"'. "`You don't want to get into that for the simple reason you would win. So try to hit some balls to her strong side, to her backhand, and that would help you with your match for tomorrow

Sir Richard Williams
venusfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2002, 02:20 AM   #15
country flag Williams Rulez
Team WTAworld

Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute
Red face

Rocksteady, get your facts right if you wanna post anything...

Martina-Venus: 10-8
Martina-Serena: 6-7

Overall: 16-15

But... Serena won last 3 meetings, Venus won last 5 of 7 meetings.

So you can see the trend ...

Mary : Monica : Svetlana : Sania : Jennifer : Amelie
Roddick : Grosjean : David : Djokovic
Williams Rulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote