The Shikha Uberoi Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #1
country flag Bероника
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute
The Shikha Uberoi Thread

She has already one in team USA but since she's playing for India now,she should have her own place on Assian Assault.What do you think?

Shikha is playing Indian Wells tourney this week.She started in a good way!!!

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #2
country flag Bероника

Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute Bероника has a reputation beyond repute

Shikha Uberoi, of Japan, returns a shot to Akiko Morigami during the first round of the Pacific Life Open, Thursday, March 10, 2005, in Indian Wells, Calif.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #3
country flag Bероника

Shikha advances at Pacific Life Open

March 11, 2005 15:27 IST

Shikha Uberoi advanced to the second round of the Pacific Life Open tennis tournament in Indian Wells, on Thursday night, beating Japan's Akiko Morigami.

Uberoi maintained her stupendous form that had seen her come through the tough qualifying rounds of the 2.1 million-dollar event sanctioned by both the ATP and WTA Tours to thrash world no. 81 Morigami 6-4, 7-5 in the first round encounter.

Uberoi, ranked 147, next faces 27th seed and world number 41 Meghan Shaughnessy of the US.

Uberoi had earlier beat another Japanese, Saori Obata 6-3, 6-1, and Russia's 146th ranked Ekaterina Bychkova 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 in the qualifiers.

The Indian Wells event is a Tier-1 event and includes the world's top-ranked players including world number one Lindsay Davenport, Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo, Russia's Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova and Elena Dementieva.

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #4
country flag pcrtennis

pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future pcrtennis has a brilliant future
Are yuo sure she's playing for India now?
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #5
country flag Bероника

She is according to many articles published in the last months.Here's one of them:

Playing for India is my motivation: Shikha

By Vijay Parthasarathy

Despite cynicism Shikha Uberoi takes pride in playing for India. - Photo: P.V. Sivakumar

HYDERABAD, FEB. 10. Such is the hype surrounding Sania Mirza in her hometown that she's had to turn as elusive as the Scarlet Pimpernel. The invisible barrier which springs up inevitably between the famous and the hoi polloi is, in her case, already as impenetrable as a poker player's gaze. She actually has — you shudder at the term — a fan-following.

Meanwhile, her doubles partner Shikha Uberoi faces no such trouble as she coolly reclines against her seat, in the top-tier of the stands, just as Sania's singles match begins.

Five months before Sania got the public tripping on tennis with her performance against Serena Williams, the Indian-American girl made the main draw of the 2004 U.S. Open and then, in the first round, clinically took apart Japan's Saori Obata, who was, at that point, ranked number 56 in the world.

In the next match — against Serena's sister Venus — the 21-year-old Shikha took an early 4-1 lead and gave the former World No. 1 a scare before eventually losing in straight sets.

By that time Shikha had already expressed her desire to play for India. Yet, any hype was muted and, as a society, we passed up the opportunity to bask in the reflected glory. That she was Vivek Oberoi's cousin barely received mention. There were no bright ideas of an ad with the Bollywood star either. Shocking, given that in the past we have often dwelt at length on the achievements of individuals whose Indian connections were more or less intangible.

Shikha, whose father is from Hyderabad, has won three ITF titles to date; she had decent results to show in 2004 and the match against Venus was something of a highpoint. "I knew I could beat Venus and I guess the pressure began to build a little after I got the lead," Shikha says, shaking her head, the twang not as pronounced as you might have expected.

"I didn't put away a couple of volleys fast enough and, well, there's a big difference between the top-10 in the world and the next 200."

Extended break

She was supposed to graduate with the Princeton class of '04, but attended only a year of college and has, since, been on an extended break to allow her to concentrate on tennis.

"You have so many more tennis players in the U.S. who are good, so the competition is tough," Shikha says. "Training with Rick Macey (Venus's former coach) in Florida obviously helps my game, but in the end it's about how tough you are mentally on court."

Shikha has since confirmed that she will play for India this year in the Federation Cup. The decision to switch loyalties has been questioned. As a top-ranked player in India, Shikha would cut far more lucrative sponsorship deals and get treated better; but she seems to take offence at that.

"Yes, it's easier to land sponsorships but it wasn't an issue with me," she says. "I would have been hankering after endorsements and ads, and that's definitely not the case. Besides, in the U.S., I had tons of private sponsors approaching me.

"More importantly, here I can play in the Fed Cup, the Asian Games and represent India at the Olympics."

Shikha agrees that in a highly individualistic sport like tennis issues like patriotism matter more to the crowds than the players themselves. However, she maintains that her primary motivation is to represent the country.

A study in contrast

Shikha and Sania are playing doubles together at the Hyderabad Open and their styles appear as contrasting as their personalities. Shikha has built a decent all-round game, she is equally comfortable volleying as she is hitting balls from the baseline. Sania can volley if pushed, but the 18-year-old prefers to dictate terms from behind the baseline in her singles matches. Shikha's two-fisted backhand has more variety, while Sania's forehand is arguably world-class.

Sania is flamboyant to the point of sounding brash; Shikha looks more circumspect. Of course, she's three years older than Sania. Together, they complement each other's game, and Shikha says they get along extremely well.

Shikha is currently ranked 148 in singles and would have been India's top-ranked woman tennis player, except that Sania's third round show in Melbourne propelled her to number 132 in the WTA rankings.

"There's no rivalry there," she smiles. "I want what's best for the country, and it's silly to let something like that come in the way of doubles partners. Sania has been wonderful for tennis in India and I think the sport can actually compete with cricket on equal terms. "Females here don't play enough sport. The idea is to be an inspiration to young girls. Back in the U.S., Indian parents would randomly walk up to me, saying how proud they were of me. Imagine what I could do here."
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM   #6
country flag Bероника

And here's another one:

Uberoi cleared to play for India

February 03, 2005 19:42 IST
Last Updated: February 03, 2005 20:15 IST

Shikha Uberoi's dream of representing India has come true with the International Tennis Federation clearing her change of nationality.

Shikha, who has been representing the United States of America, her country of residence, was cleared to play for India in professional and organised team events at a meeting of the ITF Board of Directors on the sidelines of Australian Open in Melbourne last week.

The ITF's decision means that the Indians will have two to tango at the $140,000 WTA Hyderabad Open next week where Shikha and teen star Sania Mirza will be wild card entrants.

In fact, Shikha, cousin of Bollywood actor Vivek Oberoi, had played her first event under the tricolour at the $170,000 Volvo Open in Thailand this week where she lost to Spaniard Conchita Martinez in the first round.

Twenty-two-year old Shikha is ranked 148 on the WTA Tour, 17 places below Sania, and has won three ITF titles so far. Her younger sister Neha too is looking for a switch to Indian passport.

Shikha has also confirmed her participation at the WTA Hyderabad Open 2005, to be held in the city from February 7 to 12. She has been steadily rising in world rankings since 2004 and has qualified herself for the tournament's main draw.

She was number 2 on the qualifying list and has moved up after certain players dropped out from the main draw acceptance list.

Over a short span of time Shikha has received acclaim from fans and experts alike.

In her Grand Slam debut as world No.275 qualifier at US Open 2004, she signalled her arrival by defeating world No 56 Saori Obata and leading 4-1 over Venus Williams in the second round before going down 7-5, 6-1.

In September last she broke into Top 200 at No.182.

Shikha is trained by Venus Williams' former coach Rick Macey.

Mahesh Bhupathi, Managing Director of Globosport, organisers of the Hyderabad Open, said, "Shikha has a strong connection with Hyderabad and playing here would naturally inspire her to excel. We are sure Hyderabad would inspire her performance to soar. She would be yet another player to watch out at the contest."
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #7
country flag Ellery
It's like cool epilepsy.

Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute
Go Shikha!
Ellery is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #8
country flag Bероника

(27) Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) d. (Q) Shikha Uberoi (USA) 75 61

Shikha couldn't get past Shaughnessy.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #9
country flag Bероника

Shikha out of Pacific Life Open

March 13, 2005 16:43 IST

Qualifier Shikha Uberoi failed to keep her momentum going and went down to Meghann Shaughnessy of the US in the second round of the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells, California, on Saturday.

Shikha was outclassed in straight sets, 5-7, 1-6, by world no. 41 Shaughnessy.

The world no. 148, who will play for India in next month's Fed Cup against Australia, had upset world no. 81 Akiko Morigami of Japan 6-4, 7-5 in the first round.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 03:29 AM   #10
country flag Kunal

Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute
i dont think currently she is playing for India..
But if im not mistaken she intends to play for india in the future...
Most probably represent India in the Fed Cup...whenever that is
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 10:51 PM   #11
country flag sherlock02

sherlock02 is an unknown quantity at this point
She lost her qualifier match at the Nasdaq 100 open
sherlock02 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 11:06 PM   #12
country flag Ellery
It's like cool epilepsy.

Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute
Shikha, you shouldn't have lost to Nakamura!
Ellery is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #13
country flag Bероника

Sania missing but Shikha, team are up for challenge

NEW DELHI, APRIL 15: When India actually take to the court in the Fed Cup beginning Monday, they will be hoping for some divine help. For, the Indians have a tough task ahead.

With an unfit Sania Mirza almost ruled out of the national duty, the focus will be firmly on the Florida-based Shikha Uberoi. But the youngster herself is not worried about all the hype. ‘‘I know it would definitely be tough but overall it will be a great learning experience. I am thrilled to realise a long-held dream,’’ she said talking to the media here today.

admitting that playing for the country would be a ‘‘different feeling’’ than being on the Tour, Shikha tended to look at the positives from the experience.

‘‘I was 10 when I first thought of turning pro. At 13 I was playing in tournaments representing the US, but at 15, when things turned serious and I was asked which country I would like to play, I was sure it was going to be India. The situation would be different, of course. It is something I have never experienced before in my life, but I am sure the team is up to it,’’ she added.

And her team certainly seems to be up to the challenge. Asked whether the absence of Sania would make a difference in team plans, there was an agreement that losing out on country’s best player was certainly disappointing. ‘‘But then it is a team event and I’m sure we’ll all do our best,’’ said Shikha.

Besides Shikha, the other main player for India would be Delhi girl Ankita Bhambri who came up winners last year. ‘‘To be very honest, I never expected to play any match last year with Sania and Rushmi in the team. I was surprised but then I decided to give my best and this year I am hopeful of doing better,’’ she said. She also counted Australia and China as the toughest opponents in Group I. Non-playing captain Enrico Piperno may still be keeping his options on Sania open (I might take the gamble of keeping her in the team for the tough matches in the later stages, he said) but in her absence, the rest of the field is game for action.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:10 AM   #14
country flag Bероника

vendredi avril 22, 15h44

Indian tennis player Shikha Uberoi plays a shot during the second game of the Fed Cup Asia-Oceania Group I match against India in New Delhi, 22 April 2205. Uberoi lost 6-1,6-2 to China's Na Li.
Old May 1st, 2005, 12:34 PM   #15
country flag Bероника

Grand Prix S.A.R. La Princesse Lalla Meryem

Shikha Uberoi vs. Camille Pin

Go Shikha!!!! Best of luck!!!