Last year of this tournament? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:31 PM   #1
country flag Alek

Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute
Last year of this tournament?

I was reading an article in ESTO newspaper and it said it could be the last year since a 5 year contracted has expired...

Jeleno Benesovo do you know anything?

Vamos Melissa tomorrow, play the match of your life and win the whole thing.
Alek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:00 PM   #2
country flag Jeleno Benesovo

Jeleno Benesovo has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alek
I was reading an article in ESTO newspaper and it said it could be the last year since a 5 year contracted has expired...

Jeleno Benesovo do you know anything?

Vamos Melissa tomorrow, play the match of your life and win the whole thing.
Yes it's a rumour. The oganizer of Acapulco tournament: Raúl Zurutuza, said that due the few interest of the crowd and media for the ladies tournament it "might" be cancelled next year, he said for example that there is more people watching a men's doubles match than a ladies singles match, and it could be true but IMO is because the ladies tournament is just a Tier III and the men's tournament is an IGS, the stars are in the men's draw.

But the cancellation is not yet confirmed. and probably won't be.

I see two options in order to call the attention of the crowd and media: breaking the rule of the organization paying a lot of money to top players (women) uin order to bring them to Acapulco "regardless if they loses in 1rd" like when they 'hired' Kournikova or Dementieva some years ago (who BTW at least reached semis and then the women's tournament was a complete success). The other option IMHO would be to hold WTA and ATP tournaments on different weeks or even months of the year.

If you ask me I think the tournament will continue one year more "at least".

Jelena Dokic

Martina Hingis

Last edited by Jeleno Benesovo : Feb 22nd, 2005 at 10:13 PM.
Jeleno Benesovo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:33 PM   #3
country flag Alek

Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute Alek has a reputation beyond repute
Gracias
Too bad Melissa Torres got a bad draw, since she's really popular even though people don't follow the ladies

Hopefully it will continue, but yes would be nice they would pay some money to someone to come .
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:23 PM   #4
selesfan1

selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future selesfan1 has a brilliant future
I hope it doesn't get cancelled beasue it seems like a great event.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:32 AM   #5
country flag Alek

From Olga de la Fuente:

Si es cierto, <mextenis hizo un contrato con la WTA por solo 3 anos y este es el ultimo.

Saludos
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:17 AM   #6

Quote:
From Olga de la Fuente:

Si es cierto, <mextenis hizo un contrato con la WTA por solo 3 anos y este es el ultimo.

Saludos
Los contratos se pueden renovar fácilmente si a ambas partes les interesa. Dudo en absoluto que la WTA tenga objeciones sobre continuar con el torneo de Acapulco.
Entonces todo queda en las manos de Mextenis. Ellos decidirán si continúan o no. Espero que decidan continuar con el evento de damas aunque sea en otra fecha o hasta en otra ciudad.

Jelena Dokic

Martina Hingis

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #7
country flag Chunchun
Team WTAworld

Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute
Last year iveta won it a great time
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #8
country flag Mathijs

Mathijs has a reputation beyond repute Mathijs has a reputation beyond repute Mathijs has a reputation beyond repute Mathijs has a reputation beyond repute Mathijs has a reputation beyond repute Mathijs has a reputation beyond repute Mathijs has a reputation beyond repute Mathijs has a reputation beyond repute Mathijs has a reputation beyond repute Mathijs has a reputation beyond repute Mathijs has a reputation beyond repute
I don't hope Acapulco will dissapear,becuz Acapulco is a great tournament, and one of my fav. tourneys...

It'll be a big loss and a terrible shame if México loses his one and only WTA tourney

Once a Lena fan, always a Lena fan!
Chief Officer of the new SS Dementieva
Admirer of the sky and all its stars and constellations at night
FC Groningen, olé olé olé, Groningen olé Groningen olé FC Groningen olé olé olé
Mathijs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #9
country flag Tripp

Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute Tripp has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't like this tournament to dissappear, trust me. But this may put Argentina closer to having a tournament. Let's face it, people in Mexico don't care about women's tennis and they don't have any good up-and-coming players (I'm sorry, really, but none of this girls will ever make it to the top 100, I believe you already know that).
There should be more tournaments in Latin America, it wouldn't be fair if this tournament gets cancelled.
Tripp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #10
country flag Alek

Hope Meghann wins the tournament so she comes back next year if there is tournament

And about girls in top 100... Well Melissa Torres has chances to be at least top 150... if she continues working and since she has many to win this year and little to lose. Vamos Melissa , Maria Jose Lopez less chance than Melissa... and the biggest hope on Valeria Pulido...

Anyways probably all will depend on the next months on how the ladies do maybe if they notice they continue improving they'll continue with the tournament.

As I said, hopefully Meghann will win the tournament, considering she will probably make top 20 again and they could convince her somehow to comeback next year
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextSabatini
I wouldn't like this tournament to dissappear, trust me. But this may put Argentina closer to having a tournament. Let's face it, people in Mexico don't care about women's tennis and they don't have any good up-and-coming players (I'm sorry, really, but none of this girls will ever make it to the top 100, I believe you already know that).
There should be more tournaments in Latin America, it wouldn't be fair if this tournament gets cancelled.
seems you haven't any clue about what cares or not mexican crowd. Here Tennis is a very popular sport and women's tennis as well.
What happens is that women's tournament is overshadowed by the men's tournament.
There haven't been any attractive "stars" at the women's field last two years. That's why the crowd wasn't as interested in the women's tournament as it is in the men's tournament. It's very understandable.
When this tournament attracted "tennis stars" like Arantxa Sánchez Vicario, Amanda Coetzer, Anna Kournikova, Elena Dementieva, etc. the women's tournament was a complete success, but lately even the defending champions (Benesova) doesn't comes because they earn more money by just entering the tournaments in the middle east.
Bring just one or two stars to the women's field and you will see the courts full. I saw that when Kournikova and Arantxa came to Acapulco. But players like Jidkova or Salerni or Krauth aren't well known here nor in most countries of the world except for the die hard tennis fans.

I don't think is nice to desire that Acapulco tournament dissapears in order to bring them to Buenos Aires. Besides I think it's not logical nor possible in the short term. your ATP tournament was almost cancelled this year and now you want to have a WTA tournament?
I don't think Argentina economy is stable enough to handle this kind of tournaments. 1st organize better your own ATP tournament and re-built the ancient Buenos Aires Tennis Club and later think about having a WTA tournament.

Acapulco even with all that problems will be a much better option at the eyes of WTA than Buenos Aires, that's for granted.
But the organizers are losing money and this is basically a bussiness. Anyway I think the organizers can find new ways to promote the women's tournament. I mentioned a couple of them before.

Jelena Dokic

Martina Hingis

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #12
country flag Alek

Do we agree that t.v. doesn't help much though?
Not even one women's match in 4 days LOL... I mean, the coverage could be easily 4 hours (insted of showing a movie) and could have 1 ATP & WTA... But as I said... The Mexican ladies will have to help too... I'm sure that a good result in fed cup, and some good results will maybe help for something
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Do we agree that t.v. doesn't help much though?
Not even one women's match in 4 days LOL... I mean, the coverage could be easily 4 hours (insted of showing a movie) and could have 1 ATP & WTA... But as I said... The Mexican ladies will have to help too... I'm sure that a good result in fed cup, and some good results will maybe help for something
Well if you have MVS (Multivisión) you could have seen almost all the matches played in the stadium. Their coverage starts at 5 pm and ends with the last match of the night session.
But not many ppl has Multivisión, and the free TV makes better "bussines" transmiting other kind of shows.
I wouldn't blame the TV. They are basically a "bussines" not a institution to promote some sport in particular. The organizers could sell the TV rights to some Channel with a wider coverage though.

Jelena Dokic

Martina Hingis

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #14
country flag Alek

Mulitivision was great when I had it I remember they showed more tennis appart of ACAPULCO

BUT NOW..

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #15
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextSabatini
You want Argentina to have a WTA tournament when they barely have $10k events and not even a $25k?

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote