The unorthodox Francoise Durr picture thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 03:53 AM   #1
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
The unorthodox Francoise Durr picture thread

OK I am going to try and post my first Frankie Durr pictures that I scanned today - just bought the scanner today. So here goes...

There is one here with one of her favourite doubles partners - Betty Stove. Together they won the French and US Open Doubles as well as numerous other titles worldwide. They became one of the great pairs in the 70s, along with King-Casals and Court-Wade.

Check out that incredible backhand of Frankie's and look at how low down she squats to deliver it! Amazing. And such a limp wrist! LOL. Can you imagine her facing a booming serve from Venus with that sort of grip - she would break her wrist surely. Don't you just love her style.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg durr1.jpg (38.9 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by tennisvideos : Aug 13th, 2005 at 02:28 PM.
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 04:36 AM   #2
tennisvideos

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Gotta love that camp dress!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg durr2.jpg (34.8 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by tennisvideos : Aug 13th, 2005 at 02:31 PM.
Old Mar 27th, 2002, 04:57 AM   #3
tennisvideos

Some more Durr backhands, including a marvellously camp volley at Roland Garros when she was playing la belle Goolagong. Plus a forehand volley with the famous frypan grip.

Also a pic of the infamous Virginia Slims logo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg durr3.jpg (57.6 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by tennisvideos : Aug 13th, 2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old Mar 27th, 2002, 04:59 AM   #4
tennisvideos

Durr forehand in an outrageous Tinling dress

Fantastic !!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg durr forehand.jpg (38.7 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by tennisvideos : Aug 13th, 2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old Mar 27th, 2002, 05:48 AM   #5
tennisvideos

Durr with Dog carrying racket

Here you go - some pics including Frankie's dog "Topspin" carrying her rackets onto court! Plus some others of her including some more funn fashion and collecting the Wimbledon Mixed Doubles trophy with Tony Roche in 1976.

Even if no one looks at these pics, at least I have a shrine for Frankie on the internet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg durr dog.jpg (66.5 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by tennisvideos : Aug 13th, 2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:04 AM   #6
tennisvideos

Check out this fashion & the forehand style!

Here are two great pics. In the right hand pic Frankie is wearing a very cutting edge Tinling outfit - this would have been in the early-mid 70s.

As the caption says " Franciose Durr looks good enough to smoke in her Teddy Tinling outfit "

On the left hand side is a brilliant pic of her unorthodox forehand. Look at that leg.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg durr slims outfit.jpg (52.1 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by tennisvideos : Aug 13th, 2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old Mar 27th, 2002, 06:10 AM   #7
tennisvideos

Wimbledon pics I took a few years ago

Here are a couple of Wimbledon pics I took about a dozen years ago (or had taken). The first one is when I met Frankie for the first time and she is signing and autograph a picture for me after one of her veteran's matches. The next one is a pic of Gail Chanfreau, Lesley Turner (Bowrey) and Betty Stove who I got to meet through Frankie. We were all sitting there cheering on Frankie in one of her matches. Frankie's husband was on my other side so he's not in this pic although I do have some of him as well. Betty & Gail were very friendly, Lesley was a little reserved which was what I was expecting....

The final pic is of Betty and Rosie - we were having lunch in the players lounge thanks to Frankie giving me her 'last 8' tix at Wimbledon which give you access to the players lounge.

Just thought I would share a small part of the Durr photo library with any of you who were interested in one of the most unorthodox players to have ever played the game.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wimbledon pics.jpg (45.9 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by tennisvideos : Aug 14th, 2005 at 04:24 AM.
Old Mar 27th, 2002, 07:23 PM   #8
country flag Brian Stewart
Plainclothes Division

Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute
Great pics, Tennisvideos! How far up do they go? Into the 80's?

I'm interested in Maria Bueno pics. She was one of the more "colorful" players of her day.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chandarubin
Brian Stewart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:41 AM   #9
tennisvideos

Hi Brian

Yeah, I have heaps of pics from every era. Many are from old magazines (I have 1000s of mags from the 50s onwards) and from the hundreds of books in my library. Just call me a tennis junkie. LOL.

I have some beauties of the legendary Maria Bueno so I will post some of them over the Easter break for you. I even have two pics of myself with Maria at Wimbledon but I will spare you from those!
Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:24 AM   #10
country flag Martian KC

Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute
Hey tennisvideos, thanks for introduing me to her! I am really relating to her. Can you give me more info on her like, family background and how well she did on the tour?
[Svetlana Kuznetsova] [Ai Sugiyama] [Su-Wei Hsieh] [Gisela Dulko]

[Maja Matezvic] [Karolina Sprem] [Eleni Daniilidou] [Maria Kirilenko] [Jelena Jankovic]
[Tathiana Garbin] [Timea Bacsinszky] [Kaia Kanepi] [Na Li] [Vera Douchevina]

The Pompous Member Of The Justine Philistines' Society™
Martian 4 Life
Martian KC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2002, 11:11 PM   #11
tennisvideos

Hi KC

Love to share some information about her. She was born in 1942 Algiers. She won the French Open singles in 1967 beating Maria Bueno in the Quarters and Lesley Turner in the Final. She won 26 Singles titles in alll and she was ranked Number 3 in the world in 1967. She was in the top 10 between 1965 abd 1976. She was voted one of Tennis Magazine's most outstanding 20 players between 1965 - 1985. Was #2 in Prizemoney in 1971 - only behind Billie-Jean King. During this year she beat the newly crowned Wimbledon and French Champion (Goolagong) in straight sets to win the Canadian Open.

She won 60 Doubles titles including 11 Grand Slam Doubles titles. This included winning 5 french Open Doubles in succession! And with 3 different partners! She was runner up in 6 Wimbledon Womens Doubles Finals (several in 3 sets to King-Casals). She won the 1976 Wimbledon Mixed Final with Tony Roche - her only Wimbledon title. She made the Wimbledon Singles Semis in 1970, losing to King, and was a quarter finalist many times at Wimbledon, and a Semi Finalist at the French on several occasions, losing to Evert and Goolagong in two of them.

Frankie had many wins over all the top players - except Evert. She never beat Chris, although she had many wins over King, Goolagong, Wade, Court, Bueno etc. In 1976, when she was 34 and nearing the end of her career she scored a stunning 6-1 6-1 victory over Martina Navratilova in the Semis if the Colgate Inaugural tournament, losing to Evert in the Final.

She was the captain of the French Fed Cup team for many years and until recently was the director of French Womens Tennis, part of the great resurgence in French tennis.

Personally, she is very funny and a sweet lady. I met her in the early 90s and have been friends ever since. I have even played with her during the Aussie Open on a practise court. She actually hits harder than she looked on TV - and I play high level mens comp in Sydney so I can guage her pace. She had her first and only child at the age of 46!!!! INCREDIBLE!!!!

She now lives outside of Paris and is still married to Boyd Browning. They used to live in Phoenix, Arizona USA and they might consider moving back to the states one day but they are still in France. She comes to the Aussie Open most years and I usually catch up and usually have dinner and see a movie.

That's about it for now. If you want to know any more about her just let me know.
Old Mar 29th, 2002, 02:36 AM   #12
country flag Martian KC

Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute
It seems she has been very successful! Glad to hear that! Thank you so much, tennisvideos!
[Svetlana Kuznetsova] [Ai Sugiyama] [Su-Wei Hsieh] [Gisela Dulko]

[Maja Matezvic] [Karolina Sprem] [Eleni Daniilidou] [Maria Kirilenko] [Jelena Jankovic]
[Tathiana Garbin] [Timea Bacsinszky] [Kaia Kanepi] [Na Li] [Vera Douchevina]

The Pompous Member Of The Justine Philistines' Society™
Martian 4 Life
Martian KC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:40 AM   #13
tennisvideos

I just thought I would give this thread a bump so more people might be able to share some of the marvellous Francoise Durr story and pictures. Check out the one wear she is wearing shorts and long coloured "football" type socks up to her knees! She beat Serena to this fashion statement by about 30 years !!! Gotta love her!

Frankie has been nominated for induction into the Hall of Fame this coming year, so it's appropriate to give her thread a rebirthing. I am saying a prayer that she is finally voted in, we have nominated her 3 times previously and she is still to be voted in! She is up against Nancy Richey in the Masters division, and I am hoping they are both voted in as they both deserve it.

Go Nancy & Frankie
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:52 AM   #14
country flag way

way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts way is infamous around these parts
More, please.
Also greats, i don't have that many pics of 80s legends.
way is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 12:00 PM   #15
tennisvideos

Hello Way

I will have to get our scanner connected again. There are so many great pics of the past players but I need the scanner first. And then sometimes when i scan them the file size is too large to post them here! I have some beautiful pics of Ginny and Maria for example but everytime I tried to post them it said "file to large". Not sure how to fix that problem....

Craig
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..