News from Thai Newspaper - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:46 AM   #1
country flag Vut
Team WTAworld

Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute
News from Thai Newspaper

BANGKOK POST (30 JAN 05)

Hingis to face Weingartner in opener
By Tor Chittinand
Former world number one Martina Hingis of Switzerland will face Germany's Marlene Weingartner on Tuesday in the main draw of the WTA Volvo Women's Open tennis tournament at Dusit Resort, Pattaya.

Hingis, who has been out of the sport for two years, said she has been adjusting to the hot weather in the Kingdom.

``The weather in Thailand is quite hot but I don't think it will be a problem for me,'' said Hingis.

``I will try my best in this tournament and then take it from there.''

In yesterday's qualifying round, two Thais managed to get through to the next stage.

Montinee Tangphong delivered a great performance to beat Australian Montique Adamczak 6-1, 6-2 while Thassaha Vitayaviroj beat Pueto Rican Vilmarie Castellvi Castillo in three thrilling sets of 5-7, 6-1 and 6-4.

Three Thai players were knocked out of the first round.

Nudnida Luangnam was beaten by Russian Julia Vorobieva 6-0 and 6-1, Nungnadda Wannasuk lost 6-2 and 6-1 to Olha Lazarchuk, from Ukraine, and Pichittra Thongdach lost 6-2 and 6-0 to Uzbekistan's Akgul Amanmuradova.

OTHER RESULTS

Anastassia Rodionova (RUS) beat Septi Mende (INA) 6-4, 6-2; Shahar Peer (ISR) beat Ivana Abramovic (CRO) 6-2, 6-3; Angelika Bachmann (GER) beat Kim Grant (RSA) 6-4, 6-4; Tatiana Poutchek (BLR)

beat Nina Bratchikova (RUS) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1; Mandy Minella (LUX) beat Korilina Kosinska (6-0, 6-4)
Advertisement

Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:48 AM   #2
country flag Vut
Team WTAworld

Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute Vut has a reputation beyond repute
Good draw for Hingis, Tammy

Published on January 30, 2005

[TENNIS] Former world No 1 Martina Hingis and Thai ace Tamarine Tanasugarn yesterday were placed in a comfortable section after the draw for the US$170,000 (Bt6.8 million) WTA Tournament in Pattaya yesterday.

Hingis will first face Germany’s Marlene Weingartner in her first competitive match in two years. The Swiss, who has no ranking because of her absence from the tour since 2002, has defeated the German in their two previous meetings back in 1999 and 2002.

The 73rd-ranked Tamarine, a semi-finalist last year, looks forward to gaining revenge over Russia’s Evgenia Linetskaya, who beat her 4-6 6-4 6-0 in Tashkent last year.

Despite Linetskava being 20 places below her in the world rankings, Tamarine said she would not underestimate her opponent, who played a power game in their last meeting.

“I lost to her in that match when she played really good. I need to play smartly and consistently this time,’’ said Tamarine, who was realistic about her chances of making at least the quarter-finals, where she is likely to meet world No 11 and top seed Vera Zvonareva.

“This year’s field is the toughest because there are so many good players. To make it to the final eight is already a challenge for me,’’ said the fully fit Tamarine. She said she had been very strict with her diet recently and has lost a few kilos.

Hingis practised for the second day with rising Thai star Anuwat Dalodom as a hitting partner. The former tennis queen was so stern with her practice that she even threw her racquet at times. In the late afternoon she visited the Father Ray Foundation as part of her charity activities.

Seeded behind Zvonareva are world No 39 Marion Bartoli of France, No 46 Conchita Martinez of Spain and No 52 Mashona Washington of the United States. Other big-names participating this year are former world No 4 Jelena Dokic of Serbia and Montenegro and No 1 doubles player Virginia Ruano Pascual of Spain.

In yesterday’s qualifying round, only two local girls survived the first round. Thai No 4 Monthinee Tangphong staged an impressive performance to trounce Australian Monique Adamczak 6-1 6-2, while Thassha Vittayaviroj scored the biggest win of her career by stunning Puerto Rican world No 144 Vilmarie Castellvi Castillo 5-7 6-1 6-4.

But three other Thais did not make it. Pichittra Thongdach went down to Uzbek Akgul Amanmuradova 6-2 6-0, Nungnadda Wannasuk lost to Olha Lazarchuk of Ukraine 6-2 6-1 and Nudnida Luangnam fell to Julia Vorobieva of Russia 6-06 6-1.

Lerpong Amsa-ngiam

The Nation Pattaya
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 04:53 AM   #3
country flag Vut
Team WTAworld

Hingis !!
Tammy lost a few kilos !!
Thai No.5 Thassha(~550), biggest win of her career over no.144 !

Good Luck Tammy , Montinee , Thassha , Hingis , Vera and Bartoli
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #4
country flag Sadka

Sadka has a reputation beyond repute Sadka has a reputation beyond repute Sadka has a reputation beyond repute Sadka has a reputation beyond repute Sadka has a reputation beyond repute Sadka has a reputation beyond repute Sadka has a reputation beyond repute Sadka has a reputation beyond repute Sadka has a reputation beyond repute Sadka has a reputation beyond repute Sadka has a reputation beyond repute
Tammy !!

Sadka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote