Russians Will Struggle With Expectation in '05 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #1
country flag UDiTY

UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of
Russians Will Struggle With Expectation in '05

It's already affected Myskina and Dementieva. And I have a feeling it'll get to Svetlana and Maria next, although they seem to handle pressure better than the other Russians.

Last year they were the up and comers who took the slams by storm and surprise. I think things will be a lot different this year with them having to defend their titles.

UDiTY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #2
country flag jonny84

jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute
We'll see - the russians were slow starting last year remember. The first Russian to win one last year was Vera in Memphis - late February. After that the Russians then won the majority of the titles. Just give them time.
jonny84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #3
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute
the year has only just begun !!

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #4
country flag smarties

smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future smarties has a brilliant future
I think that both losses are more a question of not being 100% healthy for both these players and doesn't have much to do with pressure to achieve the same performances as last year.

You might as well smile, you might as well smile cause tomorrow, you just don't know...
- Beth Orton
smarties is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #5
country flag Gowza

Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of
4th round at a slam is not a terrible result tho, myskina's best here is QF and she was only one round short of that. elena's best was 4th round i think but the last 3 years she has lost 1st round and this year she got to the 4th round and lead in that match. i dont think either of them are particularly fond of playing in australia compared to the rest of the season so i wouldnt say the pressure has got to them already.

petrova got her best result here this year which is 4th round, previously only got to the 3rd. sveta and maria have done their best results here. douchevina, linetskaya have done their best here (4th round both of them). zvonareva is the only one to really disappoint but she was in bad form coming into the open and got beaten by douchevina who reached the 4th round anyway.

so considering that most russians either improved or equaled their best result at the australian open i would say they've actually done pretty well the expectations on them.

also good luck to: azarenka, lucic, sprem, vakulenko, vaidisova, safarova, ivanovic, groenefeld, mirza, krajicek, kvitkova, larcher de brito, lisicki.
Gowza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:08 PM   #6
country flag 741852

741852 is infamous around these parts 741852 is infamous around these parts 741852 is infamous around these parts 741852 is infamous around these parts 741852 is infamous around these parts 741852 is infamous around these parts 741852 is infamous around these parts 741852 is infamous around these parts 741852 is infamous around these parts 741852 is infamous around these parts 741852 is infamous around these parts
I think it's just a matter of Elena and Myskina being more up-setable b/c of Elena's serve and Myskina's whole game (built around court-awareness)
741852 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #7
country flag Shonami Slam

Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute Shonami Slam has a reputation beyond repute
i think that they are just so good in the grass, clay and hardcourt circuits, that it seems as though they are playing badly right now...
just you wait.
but i do think that we are going to see som early round exits from the GS title holders.
ahm ahm sharapova ahm.
if you have nothing important to say, please do so in non-tennis forum. if you have something you think is important, but is actually rubbish regarding anything other than tennis - please do so in the non-tennis forum. if you have something tennis related to say, but it's actually "OMG, X player is so h0t!1" or "who has the biggest boobs on the wtatour" please do so in menstennisforum, under "wta forum". if you have something important, tennis-related and interesting to say please do so. No one in the world can understand how much tennis means to someone, except another fan.
Shonami Slam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:18 PM   #8
vogus

vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute
i don't think they will struggle with expectation that much. There's so many of them than they can't all win all the time, so it's not a big deal unless they all start crashing out in the first round.
vogus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:31 PM   #9
country flag Gowza

Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of Gowza has much to be proud of
something i forgot in my earlier post, sharapova and kuznetsova also have both gone further than they ever have at the AO.

also good luck to: azarenka, lucic, sprem, vakulenko, vaidisova, safarova, ivanovic, groenefeld, mirza, krajicek, kvitkova, larcher de brito, lisicki.
Gowza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:20 AM   #10
country flag Prizeidiot

Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute Prizeidiot has a reputation beyond repute
It hasn't really got to them yet... most of them have had best ever performances. And yeah, Myskina and Dementieva are probably the most inconsistent players in the top 10. So losing to lower ranked opponents in their fourth round matches isn't a huge deal.
Prizeidiot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:45 AM   #11
country flag 10nisfanofruz

10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all 10nisfanofruz is a name known to all
I don't think that the russians care much about the expectation.
Last year was a very good year for the russians. It might tempt other russians to do well this year. Having 7 russians of the last 16 in AO proved that. Even though Myskina and Dementieva lost, it had nothing to do with the expectation at all. They lost becase they didn't play well and their opppents just played better. We all expect them to do well this year again and we might be disappointed when they lose. That's the way it is.
10nisfanofruz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:49 AM   #12
country flag Lemonskin.

Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute
Somehow I think that Maria and Sveta are gonna be high top-ten for a long time... they're the future of Russian tennis.
grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-
nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönedanker-
kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm?
Lemonskin. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:50 AM   #13
country flag selking

selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute
one thingis for sure. None of them will win a slam. USA is back and kicking, and just wait til the belgians come back.

selking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 09:15 AM   #14
country flag JohnBoy

JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all JohnBoy is a name known to all
You are right the Russians will struggle this year.. They had a fab year in ' 04 but were slightly over hyped in my opinion apart from Kuznetsova & Sharapova.. Those two will shine whil the rest will drop off.. I think Myskina has had her moment in the sun with winning the French. She will remain top ten, but i don't expect another grand slam.
JohnBoy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote