Sania Mirza's place - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #46
country flag thelma

thelma has a reputation beyond repute thelma has a reputation beyond repute thelma has a reputation beyond repute thelma has a reputation beyond repute thelma has a reputation beyond repute thelma has a reputation beyond repute thelma has a reputation beyond repute thelma has a reputation beyond repute thelma has a reputation beyond repute thelma has a reputation beyond repute thelma has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...-2-2005_pg2_24

Teenager Mirza bowls over cricket-mad India

NEW DELHI: Hundreds of cheering fans jostled past a bewildered guard into a stadium in India last Saturday for the final of a women’s tennis tournament.

This rare response in the cricket-mad nation was caused by the unprecedented participation of an Indian teenager in the final of a WTA event in the southern Indian city of Hyderabad. Sania Mirza did not disappoint, creating history by becoming the first Indian woman to capture a WTA singles title. In the process she has also cracked the top 100 in the rankings, rising to 99 this week. The landmark victory came 46 years after Ramanathan Krishnan became the first Indian man to win a title, at London’s Queen’s Club.

The Hyderabad-based Mirza, 18, has become the toast of a country starved of sporting heroes with even Prime Minister Manmohan Singh personally congratulating her. The domestic media provided saturation coverage as the unseeded player, braving thigh and ankle injuries, progressed through each round and then upset Ukraine’s Alyona Bondarenko, the ninth seed. Her performance whipped up such frenzy that the regional government is providing her with personal security to avoid her being mobbed by over-enthusiastic fans. The articulate Mirza, who idolises German tennis great Steffi Graf, has also drawn wide attention outside the sporting world by wearing trendy glasses and multiple ear-rings, making her both a teen icon and an advertiser’s dream. She was ranked a modest 134 before the Hyderabad event and now has her sights set on breaking into the top 50.

Captured imagination: “The encouragement we have received...has been tremendous,” her delighted mother Naseema told Reuters. “We were hoping she would reach the top 100 by this year-end. She has done that in two months. If she works hard, she can even touch top 50 this year.” Mirza captured the nation’s imagination last month when she reached the Australian Open third round as a wildcard before losing to eventual winner Serena Williams.

Davis Cup doubles players Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Paes have joined the chorus of praise for her. “It’s a great effort for an 18-year-old girl to do this in India,” said Bhupathi, whose sports management firm manages Mirza. “We can look forward to exciting times from her. Sania’s strong point is she handles pressure very well,” he told Reuters. “If you can do that in professional tennis, half the battle is won. “This victory will spark huge interest in women’s tennis in India.” Previously Indian male players have shone on the tour and in Davis Cup.

Krishnan and Vijay Amritraj were highly rated while Paes and Bhupathi are multiple doubles grand slam winners. By contrast, Nirupama Vaidyanathan reaching the second round at the 1998 Australian Open had been the best effort by an Indian woman. Daughter of a Hyderabad-based builder, Mirza showed early promise after being initiated into tennis as a six-year-old. Her natural forehand and all-out aggression were unusual in Indian women tennis players who have in the past displayed a tendency for soft serves and tame baseline rallies.

Asian bronze: Mirza’s big boost came in 2002 when Paes decided to take her on as his mixed doubles partner at the Asian Games. The duo went on to claim the bronze medal. The rise has been steady since then. She won the Wimbledon girls doubles in 2003 alongside Russian Alisa Kleybanova and stints under respected tennis coach Bob Brett in Italy helped her improve both her game and fitness. She has won 12 titles on the secondary ITF women’s circuit, including five in 2004, before her encouraging Australian Open showing.

Now the Hyderabad victory has attracted many endorsement offers, but her parents are keen to keep the focus on tennis. “We’ve got 20-22 offers but we’ll take up only two or three. We don’t want her wasting too much time doing ads,” Naseema said. Paes wants Mirza to maintain focus on her game and not be weighed down by her country’s rising expectations. “It’s hard work, hard work and even more hard work. That is the only way to maximise her talent,” he said. For the moment, Mirza, nursing an ankle injury, has decided to put her feet up. But not for long. reuters

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:36 PM   #47
country flag ae wowww

ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of ae wowww has much to be proud of
Awesome, sexy nosering Can't wait til I see you in RG Sania. Love ya!
Natasha Khan - Tatiana Perebiynis - Lucie Safarova - Kelly Liggan - Maria Sharapova - Andrea Petkovic - Anna Smith - Jie Zheng - Jelena Dokic - Francesca Schiavone - Kim Clijsters - Tamira Paszek - Iveta Benesova - Cara Black - Jane O'Donoghue - Alicia Molik - Elena Bovina - Emily Webley-Smith - Emma Laine - Casey Dellacqua - Patty Schnyder - Carly Gullickson - Caroline Wozniacki - Jennifer Russell - Jelena Jankovic - Trudi Musgrave - Nicole Vaidisova - Anna Chakvetadze - Pemra Ozgen - Shuai Peng - Bryanne Stewart - Alexandra Stevenson - Abigail Spears - Sania Mirza - Irina Bulykina - Tatiana Golovin - Jill Craybas - Bethanie Mattek

Anastassia Rodionova
ae wowww is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #48
country flag daniela86

daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute
Sania's a very amazing player and i'm so glad she reached top 100 this year I heard she received a WC for Dubai Good luck at Dubai Sania, plz cause some damages there
Bencic~~Voegele~~Jankovic~~Zvonareva~~Karolina and Krystina Pliskova ~~Giorgi
daniela86 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #49
country flag genius

genius is a glorious beacon of light genius is a glorious beacon of light genius is a glorious beacon of light genius is a glorious beacon of light genius is a glorious beacon of light genius is a glorious beacon of light genius is a glorious beacon of light genius is a glorious beacon of light genius is a glorious beacon of light genius is a glorious beacon of light genius is a glorious beacon of light
Boy, so much icons and pics

Its appropriate to make my first post here in show my support for my compatirot Sania mirza,who is promising to break new ground for women's tennis in the country.

She will play in dubai first up against kostanic and possibly kuznetsova inthe second
genius is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #50
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
good luck Sania in Dubai
Plays Kostanic in r1

go Sania go
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is online now View My Blog!  
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #51
country flag Ellery
It's like cool epilepsy.

Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute Ellery has a reputation beyond repute
good luck Sania!
Ellery is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #52
country flag VeeDaQueen

VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute
Kostanic = Easy Victory!
VeeDaQueen is offline View My Blog!  
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #53
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lena_is_the_best
Kostanic = Easy Victory!
you had to come in and spoil Sania's thread

Sania still won 67 64 61
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is online now View My Blog!  
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:35 AM   #54
country flag VeeDaQueen

VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute VeeDaQueen has a reputation beyond repute
first of all, I meant to say, "against Kostanic = easy win for Sania".
VeeDaQueen is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:49 AM   #55
country flag V.Melb

V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute
Eggy. What makes you support Sania Mirza anyway?
You never show real support for asian players... (unless they are playing Kleinova) ... Seems strange for you to support players that aren't russian!
V.Melb is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:41 PM   #56
country flag New

New has a reputation beyond repute New has a reputation beyond repute New has a reputation beyond repute New has a reputation beyond repute New has a reputation beyond repute New has a reputation beyond repute New has a reputation beyond repute New has a reputation beyond repute New has a reputation beyond repute New has a reputation beyond repute New has a reputation beyond repute
I'm getting more and more impressed with her!!! I loved the way she played in the Aus Open... very clean strokes... and I don't see what the fuss about her high ball toss all about... just leave her to play naturally!!!

Anyway, does anyone have her schdule for the year??? Will she go to Miami or Indian Wells?? Will she play on clay??
Don't be deceived by the rankings!! Coria, Mirnyi, Schuettler, Fish, Safin, Henman, Tursunov, Wawrinka, Federer, Serena, Bovina, Li Na, Dementieva, Zvonareva, Sugiyama, Coetzer, Tanasugarn, Kumkhum, Zheng, Dokic and Kournikova are the world's best tennis players!!!

S'PORE'S ONLY JUNIOR, LEE WEI PING
New is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:50 PM   #57
country flag daniela86

daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute daniela86 has a reputation beyond repute
sania won 6/4 6/2 against kuzzie i knew sania had a lot of potential but i couldn't imagine one second she could beat kuzzie that easily big big congrats to mirza a QF in such a strong tournament is awesome! and she played really well i hope she'll keep on playing like that because obviously she can reach top 20 at least i think she'll have more WC in the future, organisators should be impressed by this lil girl Bravissimo sania!
Bencic~~Voegele~~Jankovic~~Zvonareva~~Karolina and Krystina Pliskova ~~Giorgi
daniela86 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:55 PM   #58
country flag alibaby

alibaby has a brilliant future alibaby has a brilliant future alibaby has a brilliant future alibaby has a brilliant future alibaby has a brilliant future alibaby has a brilliant future alibaby has a brilliant future alibaby has a brilliant future alibaby has a brilliant future alibaby has a brilliant future alibaby has a brilliant future
absolutely!!for tennis,its phantastic!!and a friendly hello to serbia!!im from germany!how are you??i hoe,she will get further in dubai!!,and if not:hey,the tour has just been started.she has lots of time,has nt she?
alibaby is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:37 PM   #59
country flag ex hopman

ex hopman has much to be proud of ex hopman has much to be proud of ex hopman has much to be proud of ex hopman has much to be proud of ex hopman has much to be proud of ex hopman has much to be proud of ex hopman has much to be proud of ex hopman has much to be proud of ex hopman has much to be proud of ex hopman has much to be proud of ex hopman has much to be proud of
Whoa!! Looks like a new star is kicking some A!!

Good luck!

ex hopman is offline View My Blog!  
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:38 PM   #60
country flag tom2791

tom2791 is a name known to all tom2791 is a name known to all tom2791 is a name known to all tom2791 is a name known to all tom2791 is a name known to all tom2791 is a name known to all tom2791 is a name known to all tom2791 is a name known to all tom2791 is a name known to all tom2791 is a name known to all tom2791 is a name known to all
Excellent Sania~!
tom2791 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread