Venus thinking positively about ending Major drought - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #1
country flag Denise4925
Her Grace, The Duchess of Williamsburg

Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute
Venus thinking positively about ending Major drought

Venus thinking positively about ending Major drought
Posted: Thursday January 20, 2005 1:45PM; Updated: Thursday January 20, 2005 1:45PM

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- It's been more than three years since Venus Williams won a Grand Slam title. After not even really contending for one in 2004, she's healthier and hoping to go far at the Australian Open.

And she keeps telling herself she can do just that.

"No matter what happens -- whether you played well, whether you played badly, whether you made good decisions or bad ones -- mentally you always have to feel like it's your turn to win," Williams said. "I think that's the best mind-set."

She moved into the third round by beating China's Peng Shuai 6-3, 6-1 Thursday.

Last year, she lost in the third round at Melbourne, setting the tone for her season. She was beaten in the quarterfinals at the French Open, the second round at Wimbledon and the fourth round at the U.S. Open.

The most recent of Williams' four major titles came at the 2001 U.S. Open.

But with defending champion Justine Henin-Hardenne, 2004 runner-up Kim Clijsters and two-time champ Jennifer Capriati out with injuries, Williams figures the title chase is wide open. And she feels she has the answer to winning again: "Just continue the battle -- prepare better, play better, think better, be better."

She had ankle, wrist and leg injuries last season -- and that was after a six-month layoff with a torn abdominal muscle.

"Things happen that you can't control yourself. Sometimes you have to step back," she said.

After a sputtering start Thursday in which Peng broke her serve, Williams took control, breaking back in the next game. She converted six of 13 break-point chances in the match, enough to advance to a match Saturday against Anna Smashnova of Israel.

"You can't expect every match to be perfect," Williams said. "I still had a few errors, and I definitely want to bring those down. But just in general I think my game was very solid. Basically just on the up-and-up."
Denise4925 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #2
country flag jimbo mack

jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute
i hope she wins a slam this year

want to see the old venus back!
jimbo mack is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #3
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mac
i hope she wins a slam this year
She will win all four this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mac
want to see the old venus back!
I hate to disappoint you, but you will see a new, improved and undefeated Venus.

DARRIN BAKER HAS SPOKEN!!
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 08:16 PM   #4
country flag Denise4925

Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute Denise4925 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00
She will win all four this year.

I hate to disappoint you, but you will see a new, improved and undefeated Venus.

DARRIN BAKER HAS SPOKEN!!
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #5
country flag kabuki

kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute
VENUS!
kabuki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #6
Deira

Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice Deira is just really nice
I'm still with ya Venus
Deira is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #7
country flag Denise4925

Bump...see!!
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #8
country flag volta

volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute
YEAH that´s the spirit Vee all ya need is a slam and the old Vee will rise
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #9
country flag Siyasema

Siyasema has a reputation beyond repute Siyasema has a reputation beyond repute Siyasema has a reputation beyond repute Siyasema has a reputation beyond repute Siyasema has a reputation beyond repute Siyasema has a reputation beyond repute Siyasema has a reputation beyond repute Siyasema has a reputation beyond repute Siyasema has a reputation beyond repute Siyasema has a reputation beyond repute Siyasema has a reputation beyond repute

Siyasema is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #10
country flag thelittlestelf

thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute thelittlestelf has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise4925
"No matter what happens -- whether you played well, whether you played badly, whether you made good decisions or bad ones -- mentally you always have to feel like it's your turn to win," Williams said. "I think that's the best mind-set."

LINDSAYDAVENPORT MARTINAHINGIS SERENAWILLIAMS MONICASELES CHANDARUBIN DANIELAHANTUCHOVA JENNIFERCAPRIATI MARYPIERCE JELENADOKIC KIMCLIJSTERS ANNAKOURNIKOVA JILLCRAYBAS
thelittlestelf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote