Day 1 Report/Summary - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #1
country flag V.Melb

V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Day 1 Report/Summary

please ignore my spelling mistakes guys. Otherwise Enjoy!

Na Li def. Laura Granville

Na Li smacks everything, even when on the run, she attempts to put maximum pace on the ball. Laura was VERY pumped today and super impressive; this was EASILY the best match of the day. Laura more then packs a punch herself, her groundies are super strong and her movement around the court was really tested today. During the first set Na Li pumped winenr after winner to the delight of the Chinese crowd (she was 3-0 up with 7 winners!), these are not any type of winners either.. they have Davenport-like pace on them... so often Granville could not even get her racket on the ball despite being close to it. Na Li really has her opponent 'buckled' under the pace of her shots, Laura was behind the baseline scampering and barely coping with the pace in the first set; particularly Na Li's backhand is very powerful and she applies so much pace to the ball even when on a defensive position.
Na Li has a flaw.... her serve is only 'good' not awesome.... also she makes many errors because she tries to pump everything. but otherwise she is the Asian Lindsay.
The second set saw Granville play some of the most steady and consistent tennis i have seen.... she hit hard deep and rather flawless... Na Li started to spray the ball.... but Granville was defending brilliantly and grunting intensly throughout, throwing up some loopy balls to put Na Li off--- it was cat and mouse and the crowd loved it.
Na Li is very intense and very powerfull unlike other passive asian players.... Granville kept her low error game up untill she led 2-0 in the second set. Slowly but surely Na Li pumped a few more ridiculous winners to gain control of the 3rd set.... the quality of tennis was amazing the whole time.... long and very hard hitting rallies. Laura did express some frustration with the Chinese crowd who were very vocal in their support for Na Li, Granville sarcasticly clapped them with her racket after a long point in which Na Li won. Oerall a great match... Granville would have beaten ANYONE outside the top 30 today but not Na Li.
I was very impressed with BOTH girls because Laura Granville really stuck it to her today.

Marta Domachowska def. Ting Li

Ting is a decent player but she had no weapons to hurt Marta today, the only reason this went to 3 sets is because Marta appeared to lose concentration in the 2nd set. Its kind of strange Ting got a set off Marta because once Marta unloaded on a groundstroke it never really looked like Ting was going to win, but she just sucked anough errors out of Marta and moved the ball around nicely enough to take a set... Marta never really looked concerned, seemed like she just raised the tempo a little to take the 3rd easily.
Ting has rather flat shots and a good serve but overall she is not spectacular or anything. Marta Domachowska hits very hard and times the ball beautifully... i can see her ranking really hiking to the top 40 this year because she really is a good all round player (aka. Jankovic). Marta had this one in the bag and the 3rd set score makes that evident. Ting was a good solid player to warm Marta up into the tournament.

Dinara Safina def. Jie Zheng

Well... Dinara wanted this match BAD, and so did Jie... that makes for a very feiry contest. First of all... Dinara is very bitter and not a good sportsperson. The rallies during this match followed the same pattern throughout. Jie Zheng blasting the ball at the lines and scampering about energeticly; and Dinara applying much more topspin to the ball and defending stubbornly. This match looked a little strange because the only thing Dinara did stronger then Jie Zheng was serve! Otherwise Zheng was hitting significantly flatter and going for more. Dinara cunningly calls for an injury time out when Zheng is leading 5-4 in the 1st set.... after receiving treatment to her leg... Dinara comes back onto the court retreiving as good as i have ever seen (Ala. Coetzer) ... it looked like a complete fabrication to me. Anyway... by the 3rd set Zheng's unforced errors were racking up and there were some very intense rallies.
Zheng puts a serve in which appears to be an ace... Jie walks have way to the net as if to question it... but suddenly Dinara cuts in before Zheng can talk "CAN'T YOU SEE IT?!" "ITS OUT!" "RIGHT THERE!" ......The passive Chinese girl looks a little stunned and takes a few steps back without saying anything, she just looked a little shocked. Dinara had an evil glare on her face.
Dinara had the break in the second set and held on to win... but even then Dinara was not finished.... Dinara turned around after Zheng held her serve late in the 3rd set and threw a ball into the chinese crowd. Some members of the crowd replied "Come and find the ball Dinara!!"
A good match overall... it would have been better if Dinara grew up though.

Shinbou Asagoe def. Anca Barna

Some very long rallies early in the peice, Barna was mixing it up throwing in slices and topspin lefty forehands... dropshots as well. Asagoe had much more pace of shot though and she would Barna into defence veru early and take control of many points. Even though the rallies were long, it was Barna who was covering the length of the court. Very entertaining match but Asagoe too good - definently a level above her opponent. I think Barna knew this.

Martina Sucha def. Ai Sugiyama

Well, Ai had the early lead but i felt Martina just needed to pick up her consistency to win. Sucha hit the ball harder with more topspin, Sugiyama played some nice points... but Sucha would tee-off on some backhands and hit very nice winners. For all of Sugiyama's wins in the last few years...she came across as a little bit weaponless today.... Sucha had all the answers and played more solid tennis today. If Sucha works on her serve more she will have a great year 2005 because she has the groundies to go with the best.

Anna-Lena Groenfeld def. Severine Beltrame

Groenfeld... immensly powerfull, big serve, big groundies.... excelent volleys.
Severine had NO answers... slicing the ball passivly into the net, never got her shots going. Groenfeld kneels to the ground, bends her tall frame downwards, twists her arms back and absolutely wallops a backhand winner down the line, so heavy, a lot of topspin... Severine looks right out of her league. Groenfeld really impressed me at Hopman cup... at first i thought she tries to put too much topspin on the ball, but she was just warming up.... she really is a pleasure to watch. Groenfeld also ventured to the net a few times against Beltrame... she was very very confident against Severine and will probably win her next round.

Sania Mirza def. Cindy Watson

Cindy was never really in this, even at 6-3 3-2 up. Sania had much more definitive shots, more power, more accuracy, and much more depth in the court. Watching this match its easy to see the difference between a good all round 'national' player such as Watson, and a true international rising WTA payer such as Mirza. For the first set Watson played her trademark solid, unimpressive, basic tennis... Mirza hitting more errors then anything.
All of a sudden in the 2nd set Mirza lifted a few gears and Watson was not in contention for the match. Sania begun to move Watson easily about the court and paint the lines with well timed winners and powerful groundies.
(Once again, it was the girl with more power off the groundies that won the match!)
Watson is solid, but not Laura Granville Solid, Granville consistently hit the ball hard a few inches of the baseline. Cindy Watson is solid but hits the ball unconvincingly a few inches from the service line with far less pace.
Once Mirza found her range this match was a no contest.

Thats it guys!

Last edited by V.Melb : Jan 17th, 2005 at 09:48 PM.
V.Melb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #2
country flag Mon's boy

Mon's boy is just really nice Mon's boy is just really nice Mon's boy is just really nice Mon's boy is just really nice Mon's boy is just really nice Mon's boy is just really nice Mon's boy is just really nice Mon's boy is just really nice Mon's boy is just really nice Mon's boy is just really nice Mon's boy is just really nice

Well... Dinara wanted this match BAD, and so did Jie... that makes for a very feiry contest. First of all... Dinara is very bitter and not a good sportsperson. The rallies during this match followed the same pattern throughout. Jie Zheng blasting the ball at the lines and scampering about energeticly; and Dinara applying much more topspin to the ball and defending stubbornly. This match looked a little strange because the only thing Dinara did stronger then Jie Zheng was serve! Otherwise Zheng was hitting significantly flatter and going for more. Dinara cunningly calls for an injury time out when Zheng is leading 5-4 in the 1st set.... after receiving treatment to her leg... Dinara comes back onto the court retreiving as good as i have ever seen (Ala. Coetzer) ... it looked like a complete fabrication to me. Anyway... by the 3rd set Zheng's unforced errors were racking up and there were some very intense rallies.
Zheng puts a serve in which appears to be an ace... Jie walks have way to the net as if to question it... but suddenly Dinara cuts in before Zheng can talk "CAN'T YOU SEE IT?!" "ITS OUT!" "RIGHT THERE!" ......The passive Chinese girl looks a little stunned and takes a few steps back without saying anything, she just looked a little shocked. Dinara had an evil glare on her face.
Dinara had the break in the second set and held on to win... but even then Dinara was not finished.... Dinara turned around after Zheng held her serve late in the 3rd set and threw a ball into the chinese crowd. Some members of the crowd replied "Come and find the ball Dinara!!"

i was at this match as well and i think dinara is disgusting, not only did she do all those things you said, but she was also making the devil sign to the chinese supporters, and said 'this is not a war, can i get just a little bit of respect here'. i really dont know what her problem was, they were just being normal, nothing unusual. but the worst was yet to come, after she won the match, a few little chinese kids came up to her for an autograph and she said 'i no sign for chinese!' and just walked away. i couldnt believe my eyes. i will never cheer for her because of this behaviour now. ill talk about this more but i gotta go now 2 day 2, running late

btw, the best match of the day for me was ivanovic/benesova and i feel so priveleged to have finally seen ana play, she is just simply amazing
Mon's boy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #3
country flag rated_next

rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute
thank you so much
rated_next is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #4
country flag Tennisfan-Mtl

Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of Tennisfan-Mtl has much to be proud of
Thanks
Tennisfan-Mtl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #5
country flag beauty_is_pink
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute beauty_is_pink has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon's boy

i was at this match as well and i think dinara is disgusting, not only did she do all those things you said, but she was also making the devil sign to the chinese supporters, and said 'this is not a war, can i get just a little bit of respect here'. i really dont know what her problem was, they were just being normal, nothing unusual. but the worst was yet to come, after she won the match, a few little chinese kids came up to her for an autograph and she said 'i no sign for chinese!' and just walked away. i couldnt believe my eyes. i will never cheer for her because of this behaviour now. ill talk about this more but i gotta go now 2 day 2, running late
OMG are you serious?!
in some ways this is kinda racist...
Dina! no!
why! This is ruining my image of her
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:31 AM   #6
country flag Jakub

Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute Jakub has a reputation beyond repute
thank you

OMG Dinara what a pathetic behavoiur

Monica Seles, Elena Dementieva, Kveta Hrdlickova, Karolina Woźniacki, Aiko Nakamura, Silvija Talaja , Darina Sedenkova
, Liga Dekmeijere, Margit Ruutel

Jakub is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #7
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon's boy
btw, the best match of the day for me was ivanovic/benesova and i feel so priveleged to have finally seen ana play, she is just simply amazing
Report?
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #8
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future
Well I saw both the Na Li match and Jie Zheng matches and I disagree with some of whats been said

Can I say that I found a lot of the Chinese supporters psychotic and obsessive. Especially one at the Na Li match that was yelling very loudly after every point, and yelling very vigourously and aggressively, and then even had nerve to yell at Granville and the umpire at various stages. In fact there were a few Chinese supporters that were abusing the linespeople and the wrongs ones at that too!

Na Li was heartless though, she reduced Granville to tears and to smash a racquet! She played solid she is not even close to Lindsay though, even Sprem has way more power than her! Granville had more power too.

Zheng who has a pathetic serve also played well but she was using Safina's power, and not creating her own! Safina deserved to win the match and yes Dinara made a racist comment to those wanting an autograph but the Chinese crowd were rude and didnt treat her with any respect with their aggressive, obsessive chanting!! And quite frankly kudos to her for really gutsing out the win in front of an appalling crowd that was 99% against her and clapping all her errors and double faults!
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #9
country flag V.Melb

V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute V.Melb has a reputation beyond repute
OMG. You kidding? You and me are opposite AUSBOY. Sorry, but please hear me out coz i cannot understand your logic here, its as if you have watched the matches with a blindfold over you head.

*How in gods name can you say Granville is more powerful then Na Li when Na Li hit MANY more winners?! --- maybe i am wrong, but usually the more powerfull player hits more winners! Any fool could see who was retreiving on that tennis court.... Granville was doing 3 TIMES as much running as Na Li ... ANYONE could see that... You shure you watched the whole match?

* Flat shots generate more pace. Jie hit MUCH flatter.... Safina brushed up the back of the ball... this was clear... very very clear.... I play A LOT of tennis... i could see who was applying all the topspin... Jie was hitting harder and flatter.
I am not saying Jie IS a more powerfull player... Safina is obviously powerfull and CAN generate more pace.... but Jie was definently hitting harder on the day. In FACT... two men sitting in front of me were laughing as they commented on the bigger stronger girl doing all the defensive work on the court whilst Jie hit harder. Once again... Who hit more winners? JIE ZHENG! ...Can't argue with the stats. USUALLY the more aggressive harder hitting player hits more winners.... can't argue with that! Thus i can confidently say that Jie was hitting harder and flatter for most of the match. Unless you can try and convince me that the weak defensive player SOMEHOW managed to blast most of the winners in the match?! ......... i don't think so.

*Of course i could be wrong but from what u are saying i am not convinced you watched more then a few games of either match....
V.Melb is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #10
country flag Grachka

Grachka has a reputation beyond repute Grachka has a reputation beyond repute Grachka has a reputation beyond repute Grachka has a reputation beyond repute Grachka has a reputation beyond repute Grachka has a reputation beyond repute Grachka has a reputation beyond repute Grachka has a reputation beyond repute Grachka has a reputation beyond repute Grachka has a reputation beyond repute Grachka has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the report

As a complete, violent change of conversation from power tennis, did anyone see the Obata vs. Diaz-Oliva match

Saori Obata

Born : April 23rd 1978
Residence: Tokyo, Japan
Height: 5' 5" (1.65m)
Weight: 132 lbs. (60 kg)
Plays: Left handed
Career Prize Money: $652,031
Highest Singles Ranking: 39 (Feb 9th 04')

ITF Titles: Augusta (2005), Gifu (2005), Fukuoka (2003), Port Pirie (2001), Jakarta (1996).
WTA:
Finalist (1): 2003 - Tashkent.
Semifinalist (1): 2003 - Bali.
Quarterfinalist (6): 2004 - Birmingham; 2003 - Memphis, Pattaya City; 2002 - Bali; 2001 - Tokyo [Japan Open]; 2000 - Shanghai.
Grachka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #11
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with you about Dinara, her behaviour was absolutely disgusting, such bad gamesmanship. It wasnt enough for her to fake an injury and take a 10 min time out to break Jie's momentum, she had to yell at Jie and be rude to the crowd too, who were not doing anything, just being normal. Its pretty much all been said about her behaviour, I lost some respect for her that day. About the pace of shot, both hit the ball equally as hard, they were both generating their own pace too. Jie was the better player and should have won in straight sets if not for the gamesmanship.

AUSBOY if you think they were being aggressive you are out of your mind. They were hardly being vocal at all, most of the Asian supporters are very quiet. They only clapped sometimes and chanted about once or twice every set. If you would like to see rude aggressive supporters just take a look at the Croatians and the Greeks. Or even the Swedes and Dutch, although these latter two are not rude. I dont think you really watched those matches if you are saying these things. The reason most of the crowd were for Jie (not only the Chinese but everyone) was because of Dinara's pathetic behaviour.
Granville was doing a Zvonareva, crying on court because Na Li broke her back with great tennis. She really needs to grow up too
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #12
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute
I think Na Li was nervous too, she seemed to not hit the ball as hard after the first 3 games, and looked tentative. She was less aggressive after the first 3 games, but later got it back together towards the end of the match.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 11:08 PM   #13
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSBOY
Well I saw both the Na Li match and Jie Zheng matches and I disagree with some of whats been said

Can I say that I found a lot of the Chinese supporters psychotic and obsessive. Especially one at the Na Li match that was yelling very loudly after every point, and yelling very vigourously and aggressively, and then even had nerve to yell at Granville and the umpire at various stages. In fact there were a few Chinese supporters that were abusing the linespeople and the wrongs ones at that too!

Na Li was heartless though, she reduced Granville to tears and to smash a racquet! She played solid she is not even close to Lindsay though, even Sprem has way more power than her! Granville had more power too.

Zheng who has a pathetic serve also played well but she was using Safina's power, and not creating her own! Safina deserved to win the match and yes Dinara made a racist comment to those wanting an autograph but the Chinese crowd were rude and didnt treat her with any respect with their aggressive, obsessive chanting!! And quite frankly kudos to her for really gutsing out the win in front of an appalling crowd that was 99% against her and clapping all her errors and double faults!
at all of this...

OK...
TS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #14
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future
Just because you hit more winners doesnt mean you have more power. Both Jie and Na have excellent placement of their shots, they constructs the points smartly, but I still believe both Laura and Dinara had more power in their groundstrokes when they were attacking!!

And yes the Croats and Serbs are generally just as bad if not more vocal than the Chinese. On a big court its fine but on the little outside courts that have maybe 100 spectators I think its over the top and they need to crack down on it! What the Serbs did to Benesova was totally unfair.
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #15
Experimentee

I saw the Croats, Serbs and Greeks on the small courts, and I can tell you that the Chinese were nothing compared to these groups. Check out whenever Ancic or Bagdatis is playing and you will see disrespectful crowds. And their opponents did not do anything like what Safina did.