Aryna Sabalenka - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:42 PM   #1
country flag Potapovushina
Belarusian Roulette

Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Aryna Sabalenka

How about a new thread for a promising young player to celebrate my awaited return from the dead in glorious style?

Arisha from Minsk turned 17 a couple weeks ago (born May 5, 1998), and she's been having a rather promising start to the year, making it twice to the quarters as a qualifier at 10K Antalya-Belconti in March, and reaching the SFs at 10K Heraklion a month ago - from the qualies as well. She notably beat Kudermetova in straights (3 & 3) in A-B. (though I'm seeing that Nichka also was straighsetted by Kerimbayeva the week before... )

So she has a WTA ranking now thanks to these results, she's at a CHR of 919 this week.

I've been following her results for a few years now, it looks like she has a pleasant game and I was happy when I checked her results of these last two months, hope she keeps improving and can push for more in the 2nd part of the year!
Vera ZvonarevaAlona BondarenkoYoulia FedossovaNicole VaidisovaAnna ChakvetadzeMona BarthelAna Konjuh ♥ Azarenka Pliskovas Halep Ivanovic Kvitova Kerber Bencic Allertova Smitkova Putintseva Govortsova Dodin Diatchenko Vekic Kudermetova Kichenoks

Potapova Pervushina Rybakina Blinkova
Yastremska Zavatska MiniMak Hatouka Danilovic Frayman Trescheva Lansere Koval Kostyuk
Bellis Kilnarova Paigina Stashenkova Detiuc Grib Shytkouskaya Nazarova
Potapovushina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2015, 11:04 PM   #2
Belarusian Roulette

Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aryna Sabalenka

Vera ZvonarevaAlona BondarenkoYoulia FedossovaNicole VaidisovaAnna ChakvetadzeMona BarthelAna Konjuh ♥ Azarenka Pliskovas Halep Ivanovic Kvitova Kerber Bencic Allertova Smitkova Putintseva Govortsova Dodin Diatchenko Vekic Kudermetova Kichenoks

Yastremska Zavatska MiniMak Hatouka Danilovic Frayman Trescheva Lansere Koval Kostyuk
Old May 26th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #3
country flag Spiritof42

Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute

Belarusian cutie with a name ending in -enka. How can I not like her?
Old May 26th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #4
Belarusian Roulette

Actually -enka names are very common in Belarus, they're the Belarusian equivalent of -enko names in Ukraine (in Belarusian, the unstressed "o"s are automatically retranscripted as "a"s to fit with how they're actually pronounced, unlike in Russian and Ukrainian, for instance Govortsova in Belarusian is Havartsova)

Old May 28th, 2015, 04:09 AM   #5
country flag Spiritof42

Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute Spiritof42 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know. These spelling peculiarities tend to confuse people ("Who the hell is Volha Havartsova?" ). To make things even more confusing, the Belarusian spelling is Вольга Гаварцова, but since the г is pronounced like a voiced aspiration (like in Ukrainian) and not like a hard "gamma" (as in Russian), it's transliterated as an "h".

This g -> h phonetic shift has affected other Slavic languages as well, in which the "g" has actually been replaced with an "h" in writing. So for example, in Czech and Slovak, град (modern Russian: город) has become hrad. The meaning has changed as well ("town, city" -> "castle"), although the two concepts are obviously related since medieval towns were usually fortified (the original meaning of proto-Slavic *gordъ is "an area enclosed by a fence or a wall"). So Lucie Hradecká is called Градецкая in Russian (and if she were French, her name would be something like Lucie Châtelain )

Sorry if my long-winded, off-topic ramblings are boring you. But it seems you've been studying Slavic languages (), so I thought I might indulge a bit.
Old May 29th, 2015, 05:00 PM   #6
Belarusian Roulette

No problem, it's interesting. I just love how odd Belarusian looks as compared to Russian, actually I'd say Belarusian and Ukrainian look closer to Polish than to Russian. I did know about the г peculiarity in both languages but I hadn't paid much attention to Czech. Do you have a Slavic language as one of your mother tongues?

Old Jun 1st, 2015, 04:56 AM   #7
country flag Spiritof42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potapovushina View Post
I just love how odd Belarusian looks as compared to Russian, actually I'd say Belarusian and Ukrainian look closer to Polish than to Russian.
Well, they're not closer according to linguists, but from what I've seen there are indeed some features that set them apart from Russian. I'm no expert, but this Western Slavic influence can probably be traced back to the Early Modern era (16th-17th c.), when modern-day Belarus and most of modern-day Ukraine were part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth and were subjected to a "Polonization" policy for a time.

Quote:
Do you have a Slavic language as one of your mother tongues?
No. It all started when I developed an interest in World War II as a teenager, and as my curiosity for Russia's culture and history grew I decided I had to learn its language (same thing happened with Germany and Italy). In more recent years, the influx of Eastern European players on the WTA tour has motivated me to broaden my linguistic interests to include other Slavic languages as well (although I wouldn't claim to be fluent in any of them).
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 01:07 AM   #8
Belarusian Roulette

Arysha received a MDWC at 25K Minsk next week! GL to her :hearts

Old Jun 9th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #9
Belarusian Roulette

Quote:
Arysha received a MDWC at 25K Minsk next week! GL to her :hearts
Destroyed fellow MDWC Alina Zubkova, 0 & 2 in R1 yesterday

Old Jun 11th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #10
Belarusian Roulette

Wow, Arisha beat Olga Ianchuk (#272, who defeated the top seed Anastasiya Vasylyeva in straights in R1), 6-4 3-6 6-4 Didn't expect her to win this match, big congrats!

QF vs. Lidziya Marozava (who is out of the Top 500, CHR of 497 "only")

Old Jun 12th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #11
Belarusian Roulette

Omg, she lost her QF match, 4-6 6-1 6-7(5) SO CLOSE...

I can really be arsed to check, but I wouldn't be surprised if she won more points than Lida overall.

Well, it's been an excellent week, hopefully she builds on this!

Old Jun 13th, 2015, 07:18 AM   #12
country flag Spiritof42

Quote:
I can really be arsed to check, but I wouldn't be surprised if she won more points than Lida overall.
She did (99 to 94).

But she showed that she deserved that WC.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #13
Belarusian Roulette

Arisha got another MDWC at the 2nd Minsk 25K this week, but was rather unfortunate to draw last week's finalist Ganna Poznikhirenko in R1, lost a close match to her, 4-6 6-3 4-6.

Pretty promising showing at 25K level these last two weeks, hope she drew experience from these matches and builds on this experience!

Old Jun 19th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #14
Belarusian Roulette

Arisha with my fave Sadaf Tolibova in Minsk a couple weeks ago

Old Aug 7th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #15
Belarusian Roulette

Belarus won the silver medal at U18 Summer Cup finals this week!

R1

(2)Belarus def. Netherlands 3-0
Iryna Shymanovich d. Liza Lebedzeva 7-6(9) 6-2
Vera Lapko d. Nina Kruijer 6-2 6-4
Aryna Sabalenka/Shymanovich d. Kruijer/Anastasiya Mulder-Syrovatskaia 6-2 6-2

SF

(2)Belarus def. (3)Czech Republic 2-0
Iryna Shymanovich d. Tereza Kolarova 7-5 6-2
Vera Lapko d. Miriam Kolodziejova 6-1 2-1 Ret

F

Russia d. Belarus 3-0
Anna Kalinskaya d. Iryna Shymanovich 4-6 6-2 6-4
Anna Blinkova d. Vera Lapko 6-3 6-2
Kalinskaya/Pospelova d. Sabalenka/Shymanovich 7-5 4-6 10-5