Bittersweet Symphony: First title for the "fully Hofmannized" version of Patty... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:07 AM   #1
vogus

vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute
Bittersweet Symphony: First title for the "fully Hofmannized" version of Patty...

I'm happy that Patty finally won a title but it's a different and less exciting feeling for me than in the past, because Patty has become a completely different person than she was before. The only thing about her that is left from when i became a fan of her years ago, is her tennis game. Patty's temper tantrums and rude behavior, her posturing and boasting to the press, the glitzy, cheesy homepage that screams for attention, have all caused me to more or less lose interest in Patty as a person. Even though she was with Hofmann for a long time previously, the overt changes only really happened in the past two years, since Hofmann's criminal history became public. I believe these changes in Patty are a reflection of Rainer Hofmann's personality - and IMO he is just not a likable guy. I'm not saying that Patty is now a bad person, i'm just noting that the traits - open-ness, modesty, generosity, sincerity - which had originally attracted me to Patty, are no longer visible to much degree in her. The new Patty has a vanity, superficiality and arrogance about her that is rather suggestive of Serena Williams or Anna Kournikova - which in itself isn't all bad i suppose, considering how many fans those women have all around the world.

The only problem is, i was never a fan of Serena Williams or Anna Kournikova. I was a fan of Patty Schnyder.

Anyway, congratulations to the new Patty Schnyder on her first title, which was long-awaited and well-deserved. Hopefully there will be many more.
vogus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 02:06 AM   #2
country flag Purple_Llama

Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all
Nicely said Vogus & I agree with a lot of what you have said too
Purple_Llama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 03:08 AM   #3
vogus

vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute vogus has a reputation beyond repute
thanx Llama, good to see you back on the board, man
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #4
country flag urklerlay

urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future urklerlay has a brilliant future
wow...I saw patty play for the first time last year...talk about smooth. I saw her only play doubles and at that time she was already out of the singles draw, but at least on that day she was on her best behavior.

who is Rainer Hofmann, her coach?

Twitter
2013 US OPEN
Flickr
urklerlay is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #5

Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all Purple_Llama is a name known to all
No probs Vogus I've been here on & off,just quietly really THanks for the welcome back tho

And Rainer is both Patty's coach & husband urklerlay
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #6
country flag switz

switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute
i agree on principle about hofmann etc but i have to say that i think you exaggerate how much patty has changed and when the changes occured. i'm not going to write a thesis on this because to be honest i really don't care enough. all i know is that i personally rarely see actions or read comments that support this huge change in patty that you believe to have occured. i'm not going to pretend to think i knew her well enough before her problems to know what was she was really like then or that i know her well enough now to make the sweeping judgements on her personality that have been made here.
switz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #7

Hmm,I've like Patty since about 98 & there is subtle changes that have happened which is probably normal as she was 19 before where's now a 26 year old woman with a lot of experience & a husband now.
But I don't like Hoffman & never have either. I looked on her German website the other day & came across from photos & I couldn't believe how much Rainer was featured in them. Corny pics (at least to me) of the two on the beach laying in the waves etc. Who's the site supposed to be about. Patty or Patty & Rainer? That's a big turn off. And I don't see her being as sweet & grounded as she once was either. I get the impression that her life is very much taken over by Rainer which on the one hand is normal since shes married to him,but I think her opinions are often his,& she is a puppet of sorts for him.
In saying that,I do see the old Patty in there as well & I've loved seeing her playing these last few weeks as game wise,she has reminded me of the "old" Patty.
Anyway I wish her luck & will continue to watch her game with interest.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 02:08 AM   #8
country flag switz

switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute switz has a reputation beyond repute
i'm not silly enough to think that patty hasn't changed and i am far from a fan of hofmann. i just think patty has had a lot of things to deal with and i don't accept the analysis that everything was roses in the schnyder family until patty got brainwashed by a self styled guru and then fell in love the private investigator/criminal that "rescued" her. that doesn't happen to many normal people. i think a lot of damage was inflicted on patty in her formative years for all these strange life "choices" to be made.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 02:20 AM   #9
vogus

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz
i agree on principle about hofmann etc but i have to say that i think you exaggerate how much patty has changed and when the changes occured. i'm not going to write a thesis on this because to be honest i really don't care enough. all i know is that i personally rarely see actions or read comments that support this huge change in patty that you believe to have occured. i'm not going to pretend to think i knew her well enough before her problems to know what was she was really like then or that i know her well enough now to make the sweeping judgements on her personality that have been made here.
Patty is not merely entertainment, she is also a human being. Whether or not you personally choose to take an interest in her as a human being, or prefer to simply follow her tennis results, is entirely your prerogative. I'll just say that in my view, Patty's story is an interesting one that is worth digging around in to find the truth. Maybe you're right, and nothing strange has happened to Patty at all during the last six years. But the whole thing is just very suspicious when you look at it in a broad context.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 02:43 AM   #10
country flag switz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogus
Patty is not merely entertainment, she is also a human being. Whether or not you personally choose to take an interest in her as a human being, or prefer to simply follow her tennis results, is entirely your prerogative. I'll just say that in my view, Patty's story is an interesting one that is worth digging around in to find the truth. Maybe you're right, and nothing strange has happened to Patty at all during the last six years. But the whole thing is just very suspicious when you look at it in a broad context.
i love your tendency to simplify everything i say. i don't remember saying "nothing strange has happened to patty in the last six years". quite the opposite - i maintain that something strange has happened to patty the last 26 years and you're choosing to focus on this period you don't like in isolation to everything else.

i just don't agree that patty is a particularly like a description you gave of her in another thread (the hantuchova has gone bad one from memory) - i think it was "arrogant, nasty, little princess".

i've said it before but's it my belief that patty clings onto these older/weird men because she has serious father figure issues.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 03:11 AM   #11
vogus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Llama
I looked on her German website the other day & came across from photos & I couldn't believe how much Rainer was featured in them. Corny pics (at least to me) of the two on the beach laying in the waves etc. Who's the site supposed to be about? .
I agree - the German website is, for me, Exhibit A showing that Rainer Hofmann is a wanna-be celebrity and control freak who will say or do anything to try and inflate his own importance. And so having that opinion about him, i can't help but believe that the claims of Patty's parents against Hofmann (that he brainwashed their daughter) may have credibility.

On the other hand i also agree with what you said switzy, that a girl who has had a balanced and nurturing family life growing up, does not run off with two different crazy freaks (maybe one, but not two ). I'm guessing that Patty's parents had a rather cold, un-demonstrative relationship with her, which led her to seek out other sources of attention.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #12
country flag switz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogus
I agree - the German website is, for me, Exhibit A showing that Rainer Hofmann is a wanna-be celebrity and control freak who will say or do anything to try and inflate his own importance. And so having that opinion about him, i can't help but believe that the claims of Patty's parents against Hofmann (that he brainwashed their daughter) may have credibility.

On the other hand i also agree with what you said switzy, that a girl who has had a balanced and nurturing family life growing up, does not run off with two different crazy freaks (maybe one, but not two ). I'm guessing that Patty's parents had a rather cold, un-demonstrative relationship with her, which led her to seek out other sources of attention.
ok that's a nice common ground. i thought you were like JR who thought willy and iris were the salt of the earth
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #13
country flag LefandePatty

LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Patty, you are the best, forever !!!
I love(like) you