Navratilova: "I'm still that d@#! good" - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 1st, 2005, 06:51 PM   #1
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute
Navratilova: "I'm still that d@#! good"

Navratilova: I'm still good enough to compete

Posted: Friday December 31, 2004 1:31AM; Updated: Friday December 31, 2004 1:31AM

Martina Navratilova was eliminated by Gisela Dulko in the second round at Wimbledon last summer.
AP

GOLD COAST, Australia (AP) -- Martina Navratilova said Friday she's still on the tennis circuit because she's good and continues to work hard to improve her game.

The 48-year-old Navratilova, entered in the doubles draw at the Australian hardcourt championships at Royal Pines, also took issue with critics who say her longevity is due to the lack of depth in women's tennis.

"I've been asked that question for the past five years and frankly I consider it an insult," Navratilova said at a news conference. "Women's tennis is really strong and all I can say is I'm that damn good.

"I'm sorry but I really have to blow my own horn here -- I'm still that good. The ball doesn't know how old you are."

Navratilova, winner of 58 Grand Slam titles, accused the media of double standards when reporting on male athletes coming back from retirement and playing well.

"[Ice hockey's] Mario Lemieux came back after two years and started scoring goals and all the reporters were saying, 'wow he's really good,' but when a woman does it, they question the standard of competition she's playing in," said Navratilova, who retired earlier this year.

"You wouldn't ask John McEnroe that question would you?"

She said she has worked hard on her flexibility to keep her game in touch.

"Since 1984 I haven't lost a match from being tired and I might be playing some singles events this season depending on the surface," she said.

"The main problem is movement but I've worked on that and I feel I really have time to hit the ball. I have changed my grip a lot with both shots and worked hard on my flexibility."

Navratilova returns to competition Sunday on the same courts where she teamed with Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova to win the Australian hardcourt doubles title in 2003. It was Navratilova's first appearance in Australia in 14 years.

This year, she is playing with defending tournament singles champion Nathalie Dechy of France.

Elsewhere, Lindsay Davenport of the United States has been replaced by Meghann Shaughnessy in the American team at the Hopman Cup mixed team event at Perth, Australia. Davenport and James Blake, who is returning on the American team, won last year's title.

The Americans play their first match Tuesday against the winner of Saturday's qualifying match between the Netherlands and Zimbabwe.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 1st, 2005, 07:09 PM   #2
country flag Rtael
Team WTAworld

Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute

"You Worry About Your Jump Rope and Yourself!" -Coral on Battle of the Sexes 2

Running for the cliff again...
Rtael is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 07:12 PM   #3
country flag SzavayFi
4 8 15 16 23 42

SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute
Of course she is good enough. Wait youll see she and Dani will win the Aussie Open!
SzavayFi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 08:19 PM   #4
country flag ToeTag

ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
"[Ice hockey's] Mario Lemieux came back after two years and started scoring goals and all the reporters were saying, 'wow he's really good,' but when a woman does it, they question the standard of competition she's playing in," said Navratilova, who retired earlier this year.
I have to agree with this comment.I was watching a men's hockey tournament,and the commentators were marvelling at how a player had made it to a european elite league after playing in a hick league{ever seen the movie SlapShot} in Quebec.The guy is now doing well in this european "elite" league.Neither commentator questioned the level of play in the european league...even though the the guy came from a"slapshot" league.
ToeTag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 08:26 PM   #5
country flag jrm

jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute jrm has a reputation beyond repute
She was never modest
Current crushes: Johannes STRATE Tom BATEMAN Éric BRUNEAU
Simply the best: Ole Einar BJØRNDALEN and JANNE AHONEN
jrm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 08:39 PM   #6
country flag bw2082

bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute bw2082 has a reputation beyond repute
Martina
bw2082 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 09:06 PM   #7
country flag RenaSlam.

RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute
She isn't the most irritating player ever....oh wait, yes she is. You NEED to retire, Martina.
__W00.01.05.07.08__USO00.01__

Step.
RenaSlam. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 09:22 PM   #8
country flag Farina Elia Fan
Team WTAworld

Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaSlam588
You NEED to retire, Martina.

why does she need to retire??? If she can still play tennis, why should we complain?
Farina Elia Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 11:06 PM   #9
country flag Rtael
Team WTAworld

Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
She isn't the most irritating player ever....oh wait, yes she is. You NEED to retire, Martina.
You need to retire from posting.

"You Worry About Your Jump Rope and Yourself!" -Coral on Battle of the Sexes 2

Running for the cliff again...
Rtael is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 11:08 PM   #10
country flag Farina Elia Fan
Team WTAworld

Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute Farina Elia Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtael
You need to retire from posting.

I agree
Farina Elia Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 11:11 PM   #11
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute
I don't mind her playing, I like it... but I remember her saying that 2004 was going to be her absolute last year?

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:41 AM   #12
country flag JenFan75

JenFan75 has a brilliant future JenFan75 has a brilliant future JenFan75 has a brilliant future JenFan75 has a brilliant future JenFan75 has a brilliant future JenFan75 has a brilliant future JenFan75 has a brilliant future JenFan75 has a brilliant future JenFan75 has a brilliant future JenFan75 has a brilliant future JenFan75 has a brilliant future
Why can't she just retire when she says she's going to?
JenFan75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:49 AM   #13
country flag WandaSpa

WandaSpa is on a distinguished road WandaSpa is on a distinguished road WandaSpa is on a distinguished road WandaSpa is on a distinguished road WandaSpa is on a distinguished road WandaSpa is on a distinguished road WandaSpa is on a distinguished road WandaSpa is on a distinguished road WandaSpa is on a distinguished road WandaSpa is on a distinguished road WandaSpa is on a distinguished road
The gal's the closest thing to an intellectual on the tour, and one of the few, truly charismatic players. The game desperately needs her...I almost wept at the stultifying US Open Final last year, contested by two banal uggers; the only high point of that match was seeing Martina N. in the stands.
WandaSpa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 12:52 AM   #14
country flag selking

selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute
I'm so happy that she is playing again. Maybe she will break steffis money record(which she should already have) and win another GS

selking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:03 AM   #15
Sonja
Momomental

Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Why?! She is THAT good!

January, 2004 - W/Paes, as Australian Open mixed doubles defending champions, l. in final to unseeded first-time pair Bovina/Zimonjic

February - With Raymond, as No. 1 doubles seeds at Tokyo [Pan Pacific], upset in SF by eventual champions Black/Stubbs

March - With Raymond, as No. 4 doubles seeds at Miami, l. SF to No. 2 seeds Kuznetsova/Likhovtseva

April - Returned to Charleston and reached doubles final with Raymond as No. 2 seeds, l. to top-seeds and defending champions Ruano Pascual/Suárez; member of US Fed Cup team that d. Slovenia 4-1 in 1r (won doubles rubber w/Raymond)

May - At Vienna, as No. 1 seeds in doubles w/Raymond, won first 2004 doubles title (second as a team) by d. No. 2 seeds and three-time 2004 finalists Black/Stubbs; reached Roland Garros doubles SF w/Raymond as No. 5 seeds, l. to No. 2 seeds Kuznetsova/Likhovtseva

June - Returned to Wimbledon seeded No. 3 in doubles w/Raymond, l. SF to No. 5 seeds Huber/Sugiyama

July - Reached San Diego SF w/Raymond, l. to No. 2 seeds and eventual champions Black/Stubbs

August - At Athens Olympics, the first Olympics competition of her career, competed in doubles w/Raymond, as No. 3 seeds, l. QF to No. 5 seeds Asagoe/Sugiyama of Japan; w/Raymond in New Haven doubles (as No. 3 seeds), eliminated top-seeds Black/Stubbs in SF, but l. to No. 2 seeds Petrova/Shaughnessy in final; w/Paes, as No. 8 seeds in US Open mixed doubles, was upset in SF third-set tie-break by unseeded Molik/Woodbridge

I'd say that's pretty damn good and reason enough to continue playing.
Amélie Mauresmo, 2009 GDF Suez, 2007 Proximus Diamond Games, 2006 World No. 1 ,Wimbledon Champion, Proximus Diamond Games, Gaz, Australian Open, 2005 YEC, Advanta Chamionships, Italian Open, Proximus Diamond Games, 2004 World No. 1, Advanta Championships, Generali Linz, Rogers Cup, Italian Open, German Open, 2003 J&S Cup, Advanta Championships, 2002 Rogers AT&T Cup, Dubai Open, 2001 Gaz, Nice, Amelia Island, and Eurocard Ladies German Open, 2000 Adidas International, and 1999 Bratislava Champion

There's a fine line between love and hate; that line is called family!

No one does things exactly the way I want them to. No one ever has. It’s a problem they have!

AZARENKA!
Sonja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote