Mr Bush is Honoured as the Man of the Year. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #1
country flag "Sluggy"

"Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute
Mr Bush is Honoured as the Man of the Year.

PERSON OF THE YEAR, AGAIN

Email This Story
Print This Story
Dec 19, 2004 9:37 am US/Eastern
(1010 WINS) (NEW YORK) After winning re-election and "reshaping the rules of politics to fit his 10-gallon-hat leadership style," President Bush for the second time was chosen as Time magazine's Person of the Year.

The magazine's editors tapped Bush "for sharpening the debate until the choices bled, for reframing reality to match his design, for gambling his fortunes — and ours — on his faith in the power of leadership."

Time's 2004 Person of the Year package, on newsstands Monday, includes an Oval Office interview with Bush, an interview with his father, former President George H.W. Bush, and a profile of Bush's chief political adviser, Karl Rove.

In an interview with the magazine, Bush attributed his victory over Democratic candidate John Kerry to his foreign policy and the wars he began in Afghanistan and Iraq.

"The election was about the use of American influence," Bush said.

After a grueling campaign, Bush remains a polarizing figure in America and around the world, and that's part of the reason he earned the magazine's honor, said Managing Editor Jim Kelly.

"Many, many Americans deeply wish he had not won," Kelly said in a telephone interview. "And yet he did."

In the Time article, Bush said he relishes that some people dislike him.

"I think the natural instinct for most people in the political world is that they want people to like them," Bush said. "On the other hand, I think sometimes I take kind of a delight in who the critics are."

Bush joins six other presidents who have twice won the magazine's top honor: Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower (first as a general), Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton. Franklin Roosevelt holds the record with three nods from the editors.

Kelly said Bush has changed dramatically since he was named Person of the Year in 2000 after the Supreme Court awarded him the presidency.

"He is not the same man," Kelly said. "He's a much more resolute man. He is personally as charming as ever but I think the kind of face he's shown to the American public is one of much, much greater determination."

The magazine gives the honor to the person who had the greatest impact, good or bad, over the year.

Kelly said other candidates included Michael Moore and Mel Gibson, "because in different ways their movies tapped in to deep cultural streams," and political strategist Rove, who is widely credited with engineering Bush's win. Kelly said choosing Rove alone would have taken away from the credit he said Bush deserves.

This is the first time an individual has won the award since 2001, when then-New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani was celebrated for his response to the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

The American soldier earned the honor last year; in 2002, the magazine tapped Coleen Rowley, the FBI agent who wrote a critical memo on FBI intelligence failures, and Cynthia Cooper and Sherron Watkins, who blew the whistle on scandals at Enron and Worldcom.
"Sluggy" is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #2
country flag bee

bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all bee is a name known to all
why him...???
bee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #3
Hulet

Hulet has disabled reputation
I guess this isn't surprising since there are uncanny similarities with the 1938 winner. http://tinyurl.com/6q3z9
Hulet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #4
country flag turt
Team WTAworld

turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of
http://www.time.com/time/personofthe...vers/1938.html

1938: Adolf Hitler named Times Person of the Year
1939: WWII

2004: George W Bush named Times Person of the Year
2005:
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #5
country flag Halardfan

Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute Halardfan has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think the editors comments amount to a ringing endorsement...

"for sharpening the debate until the choices bled, for reframing reality to match his design, for gambling his fortunes — and ours — on his faith in the power of leadership."

What's that about?! It all sounds like it has a whiff of the ''dark side' about it...

Man of the year candidate? Nicer than GW? I say yes.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #6
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation
No Biggie!! Bin Ladin was man of the year in 2001
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 02:38 PM   #7
country flag Ted of Teds Tennis

Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all
Time's "Man of the Year" award has for as long as I can remember been awarded to the person who most shaped the news for good or bad that year. I don't think that's their exact quote, but it's fairly close. Bush is a perfectly reasonable choice this year, as Bin Laden would have been in 2001, or Ayatollah Khomeini in 1979, or Hitler the year he won.

I didn't vote for Bush (I held my nose and voted Libertarian even though I don't particularly care for the wing of the party that got the nomination this year), but I couldn't help but laugh when I heard a report on Radio Netherlands this morning with some professor in a tizzy about Bush's being named "Man of the Year" by Time. I know there's a lot of hatred for the man, but this is just irrational.
Ted of Teds Tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #8
country flag turt
Team WTAworld

turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti2001
No Biggie!! Bin Ladin was man of the year in 2001
No he wasn't

It was New York City's Mayor Rudolph Giuliani
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #9
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute
Yes I don't think honored is the correct term for this situation....
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #10
country flag Alvarillo

Alvarillo has a reputation beyond repute Alvarillo has a reputation beyond repute Alvarillo has a reputation beyond repute Alvarillo has a reputation beyond repute Alvarillo has a reputation beyond repute Alvarillo has a reputation beyond repute Alvarillo has a reputation beyond repute Alvarillo has a reputation beyond repute Alvarillo has a reputation beyond repute Alvarillo has a reputation beyond repute Alvarillo has a reputation beyond repute
Stupid of the Year instead of Man of the Year !