The Super Magdalena "Call Me Maggie" Thread - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results:

0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:23 PM   #91
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute
.:* Australian Open 2004 *:.

6-1, 6-0.... very solid performance against reeves! the draw is open because of petrovas´and dementievas´losts....
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!

Last edited by ghosts : Jan 25th, 2004 at 03:32 AM.
crazillo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #92
country flag ghosts
Team WTAworld

ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute

My #1 in tennis
>> Tsvetana Pironkova <<

ghosts is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:21 PM   #93
country flag ghosts
Team WTAworld

ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute
Article: Is this a goodbye to Australia?

WHAT'S in a name? In women's tennis, the answer to that is "plenty" if the name is Williams.

There was a time when the same could be said, if not nearly as loudly, of the moniker Maleeva.

Which is possibly why five photographers, a TV cameraman and a hundred or so spectators found their way yesterday to far-flung court 19 for a women's singles encounter of scant significance in the scheme of things, but which might yet be remembered as the end of an era.

Magdalena -- "call me Maggie" -- Maleeva of Bulgaria, the 24th seed, departed the tournament at the hands of Petra Mandula.

The Hungarian prevailed 6-7 (6-8) 6-2 6-3 in a match littered with so many service breaks and unforced errors that it sometimes resembled a contest to see who could choke first.

Maleeva, 29 in April, revealed afterwards that she would assess her results at the end of the year and decide whether to keep going, or join her celebrated sisters, Manuela, 37, and Katerina, 34, in retirement.

By any standards, they are one of the world's most accomplished sporting families.

At different times, they all reached the top 10; Manuela at No. 3, Maggie at 4 and Katerina at 6. They won 41 titles between them; 19, 10 and 12, respectively.

They have been to Bulgarian tennis roughly what the Chappell brothers have been to Australian cricket.

With the older pair having settled down to raise families, Maggie has been doing it on her own -- even their mum is no longer the constant presence on tour she once was -- for nearly a decade now. And that's exactly how she likes it.

Being the third sister, she said, always meant there was so much to live up to; now there's no such pressure.

She is by no means the oldest player on the tour, but it's been a long, and hard, haul.

She turned professional on her 14th birthday and won the Bulgarian title four months later, breaking Manuela's record as the youngest to do so by three months. So she has been at it for more than half her life.

Given that her best is clearly some way behind her, you have to wonder why. There are two answers, the first of which could have been a Steve Waugh quote. "I have always believed I can improve," she said.

The other is that it's all a bonus now. Four years ago, she was out of the game for a prolonged period after serious shoulder surgery and feared she would never make it back.

She did, and lists that as the biggest achievement of not only her tennis career but her life.

"It was a challenge," she said. "I wanted to have a second career and see how far I could go. I never believed I could come back and get so close to the top 10. (She was ranked 14 at the end of 2002.)

"I had so many injuries that in the end I just told myself I don't want to be injured any more, and since then I haven't been." There's a name for that, too. It's called the power of positive thinking -- and it's kept a famous family flag flying.

My #1 in tennis
>> Tsvetana Pironkova <<

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:33 PM   #94
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute
i really had tears in my eyes after redaing this.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #95
country flag crazillo

Maggie´s next tournaments

Hi all,

this is Maggie´s schedule:

Toray Pan Pacific Open in Tokya, then twio weeks of rest before she´ll play in Dubai and Doha to prepare for Indian Wells and Miami!!!!

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 03:54 PM   #96
country flag ghosts
Team WTAworld

That's right, Sascha

My #1 in tennis
>> Tsvetana Pironkova <<

Old Jan 25th, 2004, 03:33 AM   #97
country flag ghosts
Team WTAworld

Maggie lost in doubles 4-6 4-6 to Husarova/Martinez

My #1 in tennis
>> Tsvetana Pironkova <<

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #98
country flag ghosts
Team WTAworld

Post Questions for Magdalena Maleeva: "Maggie answers!"

They give also a link to wtaworld !

My #1 in tennis
>> Tsvetana Pironkova <<

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #99
country flag crazillo

Maleeva in singles/doubles final of Tokyo

In the doubles sf, she already defeated Lindsay. Hopefully a good sign for tommorow!!!

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #100
calirocks

calirocks is just really nice calirocks is just really nice calirocks is just really nice calirocks is just really nice calirocks is just really nice calirocks is just really nice calirocks is just really nice calirocks is just really nice calirocks is just really nice calirocks is just really nice calirocks is just really nice
Good luck to Magie!!!
calirocks is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 01:22 AM   #101
country flag Rtael
Team WTAworld

Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute
Good job Maggie! We love you!

"You Worry About Your Jump Rope and Yourself!" -Coral on Battle of the Sexes 2

Running for the cliff again...
Rtael is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 08:06 AM   #102
country flag ghosts
Team WTAworld

Despite losing both finals this was Maggie's best tournament since Moscow 2002!!
Well done Maggie and keep the confidence

My #1 in tennis
>> Tsvetana Pironkova <<

Old Feb 8th, 2004, 08:08 AM   #103
country flag ghosts
Team WTAworld

Tokyo pics

there are some here

http://editorial.****************/source/CFW/imageResults.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState|0|15|0|1|2%2 f9%2f2004|2%2f1%2f2004|0|0|0|0|2|Maleeva&p=2

Maggie looks great in this outfit

My #1 in tennis
>> Tsvetana Pironkova <<

Old Feb 8th, 2004, 09:22 AM   #104
country flag crazillo

You know that i like the black one from Australia more.... I am disappointed bc of doubles espacially! I think she blew a chance there.

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #105
country flag ghosts
Team WTAworld

Sorry to get back to you guys this late...

Q You seemed to hit really hard against Davenport who has been playing well this week. What do you think the reason you lost today?

A The biggest difference was serve. Her service was extremely well. The huge difference between her game and mind was the percentage of service. I had a several break chances. Anyhow, the percentage of my 1st serve was not too bad. During the game, I was thinking to get the number up, and I had chances in rally, but I got pressure from her on my second service. She had a few aces in a game. When it was 3-2, I had a few winners, but I made an error on the big point. That wasn't really good. Today, she played some unbelievable tennis.

Q You don't really have bad head-to-heads against her.

A Actually, it's not really good. The last time I defeated her was in Moscow two years ago. When she's good, her service is good and she has deep shots. Today, I attacked first and I tried everything I wanted to, so I don't have any regrets. I did well.

Q We believe your ranking jumped up again after reaching today's final. Do you have any confidence of reaching top 10?

A I don't really care about ranking. It goes up and down. To me, it's more fun to win more games. In that meaning, I am satisfied to reach this final.

Q Your sister has won the tournament here. Any impressions about this tournament?
A Except for the years I was injured, I always come back here. Including the hotel, I am familiar with this area, so I am looking forward to coming back here. Even though I don't play well in Melbourne, I am happy to be here for this tournament.

My #1 in tennis
>> Tsvetana Pironkova <<