"The Idiot's Guide to Running a Professional Tennis Tour" by Larry Scott - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 02:06 AM   #1
country flag JennyS

JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute
"The Idiot's Guide to Running a Professional Tennis Tour" by Larry Scott

This new book written by WTA Tour chief Larry Scott will soon hit the shelves. In the book he gives the following tips to aspiring tennis tour CEO's:

-Never, EVER attempt to promote the sport. Make the players do it themselves. Oh yeah, and have them wear stupid pink t-shirts to promote girl power.
-Make sure to keep entry lists HIDDEN from the public, so they might won't be frightened away from buying tickets to tournaments if a player they dislike is in the draw.
-If a player is not American or a tall blonde Russian, ignore her completely.
-Do NOTHING to address player injuries and blame everything on THEM!
-Try to get the top players to play as many tournaments a year as possible and don't give a shit about their longevity because quite frankly, you will not be CEO longer than 5 years, so who gives a damn?!
-Schedule 10 tournaments a year in Southern California and at least five in Los Angeles.
-Don't give a shit about TV ratings and focus more on making money by scheduling as many tournaments as you possibly can.
-If a player complains about the season being too long, tell them to shut up or retire.
-If a player pulls out of a tournament and does not have a valid medical report signed by a doctor, a nurse AND the tour medical advisor, fine them $100,000 and suspend them for two months.
-If a player plays fewer than 25 tournaments, they do not get any of the tour's bonus pool.
-Discourage players from participating in Fed Cup, Davis Cup and exhibitions so they can play as many tour events as possible

and finally
-Sit back in your office, make a ton of money and do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and make a six figure salary a year!
Advertisement

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 02:37 AM   #2
country flag Rtael
Team WTAworld

Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute
So when do I get my turn to be a Larry Scott?

"You Worry About Your Jump Rope and Yourself!" -Coral on Battle of the Sexes 2

Running for the cliff again...
Rtael is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 05:15 AM   #3
pav

pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute
Well done JennyS !
pav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 05:29 AM   #4
country flag Greenout

Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyS
This new book written by WTA Tour chief Larry Scott will soon hit the shelves. In the book he gives the following tips to aspiring tennis tour CEO's:

-Never, EVER attempt to promote the sport. Make the players do it themselves. Oh yeah, and have them wear stupid pink t-shirts to promote girl power.
-Make sure to keep entry lists HIDDEN from the public, so they might won't be frightened away from buying tickets to tournaments if a player they dislike is in the draw.
-Try to get the top players to play as many tournaments a year as possible and don't give a shit about their longevity because quite frankly, you will not be CEO longer than 5 years, so who gives a damn?!
-Schedule 10 tournaments a year in Southern California and at least five in Los Angeles.
-Don't give a shit about TV ratings and focus more on making money by scheduling as many tournaments as you possibly can.
-If a player complains about the season being too long, tell them to shut up or retire.
-If a player pulls out of a tournament and does not have a valid medical report signed by a doctor, a nurse AND the tour medical advisor, fine them $100,000 and suspend them for two months.
-If a player plays fewer than 25 tournaments, they do not get any of the tour's bonus pool.
-Discourage players from participating in Fed Cup, Davis Cup and exhibitions so they can play as many tour events as possible

and finally
-Sit back in your office, make a ton of money and do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and make a six figure salary a year!

Bravo!

"I hung onto tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years.
It is something that is in me, it is me." - JH
Greenout is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 11:04 AM   #5
country flag ~|Naomi|~

~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute ~|Naomi|~ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

I think this one should be still fine them even if they have a very valid medical reason.

Quote:
Do NOTHING to address player injuries and blame everything on THEM!

Quote:

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #6
pigam

pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute pigam has a reputation beyond repute
Nice thread. Is this Carlos speaking ?

Justine: feb. 5, 2007:

"I hung on to tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years. It is something that is in me, it is me."
pigam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 01:15 PM   #7
country flag JennyS

JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute
I'm glad you enjoyed this thread.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #8
country flag Caz

Caz has much to be proud of Caz has much to be proud of Caz has much to be proud of Caz has much to be proud of Caz has much to be proud of Caz has much to be proud of Caz has much to be proud of Caz has much to be proud of Caz has much to be proud of Caz has much to be proud of Caz has much to be proud of

JOIN THE CHURCH OF PAM ~
Worship the comedy that is tennis!
Caz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #9
country flag doby

doby is infamous around these parts doby is infamous around these parts doby is infamous around these parts doby is infamous around these parts doby is infamous around these parts doby is infamous around these parts doby is infamous around these parts doby is infamous around these parts doby is infamous around these parts doby is infamous around these parts doby is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Never, EVER attempt to promote the sport. Make the players do it themselves. Oh yeah, and have them wear stupid pink t-shirts to promote girl power.
The worst ad campaign ever..those obnoxious pink shirts,and those assinine print ads.
doby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 12:58 AM   #10
country flag Fingon

Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyS
I wonder if he could put together a full sentence
Quote:
Might I add that you are making the hardest effort to keep heterosexuals males away from the sport, "get in touch with your feminine side" whatever.
Quote:
exactly, what are the fans after all? who cares about them?
Quote:
yep
Quote:
after all it's not the WTA's problem
Quote:
5 years? if he were working in a real company he would be fired in 5 minutes.
Quote:
don't forget to schedule two tournaments in Thailand, two in India, One in Ubezkistan, and none in Spain or the Czech Republic.
Quote:
and our intelligent CEO knows how to make money really, in all sports tv rights are more important than tickets, I guess in Larry Scott's world it's different.
Quote:
the players should shut down the wta, it's getting to a point of no return.
Quote:
and don't forget to fine the player even if she does have a valid medical report, but only half the amoutn.
Quote:
I guess Dokic is their role model.
Quote:
well the ITF is doing a good job at that.
Quote:
and finally
well, who is to blame for that? who choose a complete moron to run the tour?

the players should remember why the wta was created in the first place, it was to defend the players , not to be against them. Since the WTA is not only not fitting that function but it's actually doing the opposite, the players should think not of replacing Larry Scott, but the WTA itself. It's bad having a moron as CEO, but it's worse that such a moron is elected to be a CEO, they need not only to fire him, but the entire board of directors, if they can choose someone like Scott they don't deserve to be there.

I think the top players should get together, realize the WTA is exploiting them, and create a new association, without the tournament directors, just the players. Serena, Justine, Lindsay, even Martina Navratilova, if they realize they ARE the tour, then Larry Scott and his troup of morons can start looking for a new job (maybe Larry Scott can be a ballboy)
Fingon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #11
country flag JennyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingon
I wonder if he could put together a full sentence

Might I add that you are making the hardest effort to keep heterosexuals males away from the sport, "get in touch with your feminine side" whatever.
exactly, what are the fans after all? who cares about them?
yep

after all it's not the WTA's problem
5 years? if he were working in a real company he would be fired in 5 minutes.
don't forget to schedule two tournaments in Thailand, two in India, One in Ubezkistan, and none in Spain or the Czech Republic.

and our intelligent CEO knows how to make money really, in all sports tv rights are more important than tickets, I guess in Larry Scott's world it's different.
the players should shut down the wta, it's getting to a point of no return.
and don't forget to fine the player even if she does have a valid medical report, but only half the amoutn.
I guess Dokic is their role model.

well the ITF is doing a good job at that.

well, who is to blame for that? who choose a complete moron to run the tour?

the players should remember why the wta was created in the first place, it was to defend the players , not to be against them. Since the WTA is not only not fitting that function but it's actually doing the opposite, the players should think not of replacing Larry Scott, but the WTA itself. It's bad having a moron as CEO, but it's worse that such a moron is elected to be a CEO, they need not only to fire him, but the entire board of directors, if they can choose someone like Scott they don't deserve to be there.

I think the top players should get together, realize the WTA is exploiting them, and create a new association, without the tournament directors, just the players. Serena, Justine, Lindsay, even Martina Navratilova, if they realize they ARE the tour, then Larry Scott and his troup of morons can start looking for a new job (maybe Larry Scott can be a ballboy)
Good post! I agree with you that the players need their own union.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #12
country flag Chunchun
Team WTAworld

Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute Chunchun has a reputation beyond repute

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #13
country flag In The Zone
it's serena, bitch.

In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute In The Zone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "The Idiot's Guide to Running a Professional Tennis Tour" by Larry Scott

:bump:
In The Zone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #14
country flag Yasmine
Somewhere over the rainbow.

Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute

good to see this thread is still completely accurate
Yasmine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #15
country flag Destiny

Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute

The accuracy of the thread is till true till now sad!!!

TWITTER NAME : https://twitter.com/Mozzawalks
Destiny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote