Why don't female players play 5 set tennis? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:20 PM   #1
country flag deep bass

deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of
Why don't female players play 5 set tennis?

Just wondering, seems a little odd. Though I guess it would bugger up the scheduling at GS and the like.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
Angelina Jolie

Go Bepa Z Williams X 2 Danka Masha Nastya Ana Bally
deep bass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #2
country flag Dementinator
Captain of the SS Dementieva

Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute Dementinator has a reputation beyond repute
prob cos the organisers think the poor little girlies couldnt cop playing five sets ,which as a guy ,i think is total BOLLOCKS of course they can!! hell with some of the rallies in womans match they are almost as long anyways ,the girls these days are all very powerful and fit they can manage it!
TO be honest tho , 5 setters can be soooooooo boring! so why no 4 sets with a tie breaj to decide if 2 sets all??

Once a Lena fan always a Lena fan
Dementinator is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #3
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute
Because they don't have to.
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #4
country flag Martian Willow
Team WTAworld

Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute
So the men don't have to wait around too long for their match.
Martian Willow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #5
country flag deep bass

deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow
So the men don't have to wait around too long for their match.
Oooh, meeooowwww! Retract those claws before you do yourself a damage!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
Angelina Jolie

Go Bepa Z Williams X 2 Danka Masha Nastya Ana Bally
deep bass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:44 PM   #6
Team WTAworld

Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep bass
Oooh, meeooowwww! Retract those claws before you do yourself a damage!
I believe that was the original reason.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #7
Team WTAworld

I read it somewhere.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:48 PM   #8
country flag jonny84

jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute
They used to play a 5 set match at the finale of the YEC but that is now scrapped. Maybe do 5 sets in the finals of main tour events?
jonny84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #9
country flag Joana

Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute
It sure would be exciting to watch Henin-Hardenne vs Craybas or Serena Williams vs Foretz playing best-of-5-sets.
Joana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #10
country flag Calimero377

Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold Calimero377 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep bass
Just wondering, seems a little odd. Though I guess it would bugger up the scheduling at GS and the like.

Because only Graf could play and win 5-setters.
And Seles before she gained weight ....
Calimero377 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #11
country flag manu32

manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future
you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimero377
and i remembered her victory (ies) in 5..sets....she was the first and the one to do do that.....
manu32 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #12
country flag Doc

Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future
The main reason is historical

100 years ago when the rules were set, women were considered too feeble and fragile to play 5 sets, or run long races, or do a lot of other athletic things.

Nowadays women run Marathons, pole-Vault and a lot of other things that weren't allowed years ago.

However tennis has stuck with three sets for women. Why?

Probably because 5 setters for women would make the slams hard to schedule. 5 setters are probably a better test, because a 3 setter can slip away so quickly, but most people seem satisfied with three sets, and they are easier on the players.

I'm glad the awful idea of reducing Mixed doubles to 2 sets and a Tie break seems to have been abandoned. That was so unfair, and there was no need to reduce these popular matches below 3 sets.

Victoria Azarenka, Dinara Safina, Maria Kirilenko

Nadia Petrova, Samantha Stosur, Ana Ivanovic.

0026..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl .... Official Political Advisor to the Maria Mafia.
Doc is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #13
country flag darren cahill

darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimero377
this is exactly true...didnt they finally scrape the best of 5 there cause someone complained that only Graf was fit enough to ever win best of 5 matches? seems the WTA did a lot of changing of formats when Graf was around...didnt they also change the ranking calculations to hurt her # 1 status as well?

by the way, my 2 cents is, the women dont play best of 5 now cause most of them cant even get on the tour anymore to play a tournament let alone a 5 set match. they need to get to the point where 1/2 the top isnt injured all the time before anyone can play best of 5

its a one time thing,
it just happens, a lot
darren cahill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #14
country flag WorldWar24

WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future WorldWar24 has a brilliant future
Look at the top players today! Half of them had serious injuries the last couple of years and are coming back

Clijsters, Henin - injured
Dementieva had a shoulder injury that caused her to serve like this
Myskina had a wrist injury a few years ago that almost made her quit
Serena still has a knee injury
Davenport almost had to quit in 2002
Hingis and Kournikova quit at the age of 22
Venus spent most of 2003 injured, and is still not playing well
Mauresmo is injured week in week out
Petrova had a career threatening injury in 2002

Need I go on? They DON'T NEED 5sets!
I'd rather have done it with you

You don't have to hate your opponents to beat them - Kim Clijsters
WorldWar24 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 11:24 PM   #15
country flag MinnyGophers

MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute
and most importantly, 5 setters are extremely boring... some 3 setters between women can go up to 3 hours, so imagine 5 setters....
and since they are so used to 3 setters now, they can't just change it like that.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: "Amélie, you know it doesn't really matter at this point. I mean, I'd love to, I mean, Amélie is No. 1 in the world. She's playing great tennis. You know, I love that challenge of going out there and competing against the best in the world."
You'd love to what, Maria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler
This Amelie bashing gets more ludicrous by the day! What do you want her to do, crawl back to the chair???? For heavens sake who gives a toss how she gets back to the chair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Marie

Amelie FINALLY won two slams I mean let the woman RUN to her fucking chair.
MinnyGophers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote