Drysdale: U.S. Open Will Use Instant Replay In 2005 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #1
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
Drysdale: U.S. Open Will Use Instant Replay In 2005

Drysdale: U.S. Open Will Use Instant Replay In 2005

Photo By Bob Strauss By Richard Pagliaro
11/18/2004

Cliff Drysdale has called the shots as ESPNís voice of tennis for the past 25 years and has witnessed the role technology has played in improving tennis telecasts in that time. The former U.S. Open finalist said today the time has come for instant replay to be used as a line-calling tool in major matches and is convinced instant replay will be used to help call lines at the 2005 U.S. Open.

"It will happen by the U.S. Open next year. You can go to the bank on that one, take it to the bank," Drysdale told Tennis Week.. "By the U.S. Open, it will be a line calling-technology that will be used."

Questionable calls contributed to a controversial conclusion in Jennifer Capriati's 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 quarterfinal conquest of Serena Williams at the U.S. Open in September (to read about that match, please click this link: Capriati Stops Serena In Controversial Quarterfinal) . The USTA acknowledged chair umpire Mariana Alvesí overrule against Williams in the opening game of the final set was incorrect in a statement released after the match. In the post-match press conference, Williams said two officials apologized to her in acknowledgement of the questionable calls.

In an effort to prevent future officiating errors, the USTA is researching potential instant replay systems. Though the USTA has not made any official announcement about the potential use of instant replay at the 2005 tournament, Drysdale believes adopting replay at majors is imminent and will be an improvement to the current system. A long-time proponent for the use of ESPNís Emmy-award nominated ShotSpot technology, Drysdale suggested replay could be used as early as the Australian Open.

"Iím hoping that with my certainty on that subject that I can convince or we can convince the Australians that they should be the first. It could happen as soon as Australia and at the latest it will happen at the U.S. Open. Iím thrilled about it because tennis needs it for a variety of reasons, one of which, the main one being the viewing public, the second to that the live audience, and thirdly just because we donít need more repetitions of what weíve seen over the past year with people getting hooked out of matches." Though Drysdale concedes he is speculating about the use of instant replay, the suggestion the U.S. Open will be the first Slam to try it makes sense given the fact that Arlen Kantarian, chief executive of professional tennis for the USTA, is an innovator who was a driving force behind the U.S. Open moving the womenís final to its Saturday night prime-time slot, and a chief architect of the U.S. Open Series that generated a ratings rise for ESPN. The fact that the questionable calls occurred in a nationally-televised match between two American stars put the present line-calling system under a critical spotlight.

Drysdale denied speaking to Kantarian directly on the subject, saying "Iím speculating", (to which his broadcast partner, Patrick McEnroe, replied "Heís speculating with certainty"), but remains convinced replay will be used at the Open.

"I donít know for a fact, but this is my prediction because of what happened at the U.S. Open," Drysdale said. "I think the U.S. Open is more subject to change than any of the other Slams, because I think they understand the public. I think they understand the game better than any other Slam. Thatís why Iím convinced itís going to happen there."

Related Story: Drysdale Celebrates 25th Anniversary As ESPN's Voice Of Tennis
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 19th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #2
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 02:58 PM   #3
country flag xan

xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute xan has a reputation beyond repute
I can't see it being adopted in Wimbledon or RG, and its too late for the Australian.

There would have to be some big screen for the public to see the decision was correct.

Also the problem arisies of who would have the right to ask for a video replay, and how often. Such a thing could become more abused than the toilet break, with out-of-sorts players demanding a replay after every second shot!

Official Hitman of the Maria Mafia
xan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #4
tommyk75

tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future tommyk75 has a brilliant future
Drysdale's an ass... He's the same idiot who wrote an article in Tennis Magazine saying that tennis should have regional tours like the PGA (i.e. Europeans should play on a European tour, Americans play on an American tour, Asian/Australian players play on their own tour, then everybody gets together for the Slams). He also wrote an article saying that they should do away with let serves and then totally contradicted himself on TV, saying that it wasn't necessary at all. He may have an intelligent-sounding accent, but he's full of hot air nonetheless.
tommyk75 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #5
country flag WTAaddict

WTAaddict is infamous around these parts WTAaddict is infamous around these parts WTAaddict is infamous around these parts WTAaddict is infamous around these parts WTAaddict is infamous around these parts WTAaddict is infamous around these parts WTAaddict is infamous around these parts WTAaddict is infamous around these parts WTAaddict is infamous around these parts WTAaddict is infamous around these parts WTAaddict is infamous around these parts
i dont agree with this if ever this happens. Its just so ridiculous to happen.
WTAaddict is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 07:52 PM   #6
country flag fammmmedspin

fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future
Either a player can question any ball or the umpire will check the balls they think are questionable or the players would have to be given a quota of checks. You can't look at every ball or the mens matches will be 8 hours long.

In the first case it will make the toilet break dodges look like a minor diversion - balls will be checked at length every time a player hits a keypoint or one is coming up or anyone tires.

In the second the umpires will not check where they made the decision - as in Serena's case at the USO - you don't check if you know you were right which is the reason to over-rule anyway. If you check every over -rule it would seem unfair not to check when the umpire didn't over-rule as you are admitting the umpire is fallible anyway.

In the third case you will have players worrying when to query and thinking about it into the rest of the match. Imagine if Serena had used up her quota before the umpire called that ball - it would look silly to query 5 calls and lose and then not be able to query the real error..
fammmmedspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 09:18 PM   #7
country flag Jaime Bahena

Jaime Bahena is just really nice Jaime Bahena is just really nice Jaime Bahena is just really nice Jaime Bahena is just really nice Jaime Bahena is just really nice Jaime Bahena is just really nice Jaime Bahena is just really nice Jaime Bahena is just really nice Jaime Bahena is just really nice Jaime Bahena is just really nice Jaime Bahena is just really nice
Couple of questions: What options does a player get whenever he or she receives a questionable call? Can he or she stop play, and request a review? How many reviews can a player request during a game or match? The questions are endless!!!
Jaime Bahena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 09:19 PM   #8
country flag Pengwin

Pengwin has a reputation beyond repute Pengwin has a reputation beyond repute Pengwin has a reputation beyond repute Pengwin has a reputation beyond repute Pengwin has a reputation beyond repute Pengwin has a reputation beyond repute Pengwin has a reputation beyond repute Pengwin has a reputation beyond repute Pengwin has a reputation beyond repute Pengwin has a reputation beyond repute Pengwin has a reputation beyond repute
Why not use hawkeye?
Pengwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 09:24 PM   #9
cool bird

cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road cool bird is on a distinguished road
Haweye is not 100% correct.

" IF YOU SCARE A MOUSE WHAT HAPPENS IT RUNS AWAY. IF YOU SCARE A LION IT WILL STAY AND FIGHT"

VENUS AND SERENA THE LIONS
OF THE WTA

Americans are not DUMB.... oh wait Bush WON
cool bird is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 09:43 PM   #10
country flag Martian Willow
Team WTAworld

Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute
Replays aren't 100% correct either.
Martian Willow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 12:05 AM   #11
country flag tennischick

tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all tennischick is a name known to all
terrific idea as long as it is controlled. the other tournies will copy this if it turns out to be successful. can't wait to see it in action!
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #12
country flag volta

volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute
IT`S ABOUT TIME. iīm not seeing Wimbledon using it but if all the other slams use it soon or later Wimbledon will allow it 2.

YEAH no more unfair points. great.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 08:58 AM   #13
country flag deep bass

deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of deep bass has much to be proud of
I think it's a good idea. Maybe a small number of queries allowed per set to stop it from getting silly.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
Angelina Jolie

Go Bepa Z Williams X 2 Danka Masha Nastya Ana Bally
deep bass is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #14
country flag Doraemon

Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts
Just because the shit happened to Serena Willams doesn't mean they can do whatever they want to.
Doraemon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #15
country flag xr6turbo
Veelieve.

xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute xr6turbo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Seiya
Just because the shit happened to Serena Willams doesn't mean they can do whatever they want to.
Oh boo hoo...

I think its a good idea.

"I want to do things on my own terms, I can't have anything take me out.
I have never given up and it's important for me to prove to myself that I can do this, and to prove to me that i'm a champion.
If I were just to sit down, lay down and give in, then I wouldn't have any respect for myself."
VW
xr6turbo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote