Did Mauresmo Choke? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:12 AM   #1
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
Did Mauresmo Choke?

again against Serena? second time this year she was up a set and a break against Serena.
tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:14 AM   #2
country flag AjdeNate!
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.

AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute AjdeNate! has a reputation beyond repute
Serena really stepped up, but Momax did help out with UE after UE and a complete inability to win 1 of her 5684974 break chances.
AjdeNate! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:57 AM   #3
country flag katrientje

katrientje is a name known to all katrientje is a name known to all katrientje is a name known to all katrientje is a name known to all katrientje is a name known to all katrientje is a name known to all katrientje is a name known to all katrientje is a name known to all katrientje is a name known to all katrientje is a name known to all katrientje is a name known to all
No I saw the match. Just when everyone thought Serena would lose, she lifted her game to an amazing level. Amélie played very well, but Serena was just a little better

Good luck to K-lina Sprem, Venus, Tati Golovin, Daniela, and Lena D
katrientje is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:59 AM   #4
country flag Navratilove

Navratilove is a jewel in the rough Navratilove is a jewel in the rough Navratilove is a jewel in the rough Navratilove is a jewel in the rough Navratilove is a jewel in the rough Navratilove is a jewel in the rough Navratilove is a jewel in the rough Navratilove is a jewel in the rough Navratilove is a jewel in the rough Navratilove is a jewel in the rough Navratilove is a jewel in the rough
I have a feelin that Mauremo will never ever beat Serena again.
I don't know if she choked but I'm sure she thought about it.
I'm happy she didn't get to the no.1 and she wouldn't have deserved it anyways.
Of course I'm not too happy about this result cuz Serena is totally not my favorite and I wished both would lose. But she will be out shined by Maria Sharapova.
Navratilove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #5
All4Williams

All4Williams is just really nice All4Williams is just really nice All4Williams is just really nice All4Williams is just really nice All4Williams is just really nice All4Williams is just really nice All4Williams is just really nice All4Williams is just really nice All4Williams is just really nice All4Williams is just really nice All4Williams is just really nice
Serena won 38 / 54 at the the net. She took the net away from Maurosemo. Serena served and Volleyed like a regular. Serena simply outplayed Mauresmo. I remember Mauresmo laughing at Serena at Wimby when Serena hit a Volley long. Yesterday Serena was magnificent at the net. She has cracked Mauresmo's game. Mauresmo will have to come up with another game to beat Serena or rely on Serena's bad days!
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #6
country flag XaDavK_Kapri

XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's a bit of choking and a lot of Serena playing better. I remember ONE point where Mauresmo really choked. On one break point in the marathon game, she hit an easy forehand (maybe backhand) wide. This would've changed the match and she knows it. When she saw the opportunity to finish the point and the game right there, she completely missed her shot... On other opportunities, Serena may have lifted her game, but Mauresmo choked on many easy points... So, a bit of both.

You may be right about the fact that she'll never beat Williams again, but then again, what do we know about the future, right ? One thing's for sure, Amélie can't start thinking this. If she still has pride, desire to win, she won't have trouble finding the motivation. She may be crushed for a few days, but after that, it's back to work.
XaDavK_Kapri is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #7
country flag MinnyGophers

MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute
i don't think that Mauresmo choked, just that Serena played better and improved her game to match Momo's at the net. Don't take credit off Serena! She won the game beautifully, and I'm sure that these two will give us magnificent display of tennis again.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: "Amélie, you know it doesn't really matter at this point. I mean, I'd love to, I mean, Amélie is No. 1 in the world. She's playing great tennis. You know, I love that challenge of going out there and competing against the best in the world."
You'd love to what, Maria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler
This Amelie bashing gets more ludicrous by the day! What do you want her to do, crawl back to the chair???? For heavens sake who gives a toss how she gets back to the chair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Marie

Amelie FINALLY won two slams I mean let the woman RUN to her fucking chair.
MinnyGophers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 02:30 PM   #8
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute
Yes and no. There were some breakpoints where Momo just completely went away (remember the slice thingie when Pam said, "It is as if she was thinking of coming in, then changed her mind at the last moment." ) But Serena was so determined that she would have won regardless.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #9
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation
No, of course she played some suspect points-- but Serena became possessed from about 4-4 in the 2nd set. I had a feeling she would do her darndest to win this match
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #10
country flag Sharapower

Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future Sharapower has a brilliant future
Mauresmo choked, definitely.
Sharapower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #11
victory1

victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of victory1 has much to be proud of
A lot of people are saying Mauresmo choked, but Serena was also nervous, that marathon game Mauresmo only had 4 breakpoint chances while Serena had 12 game chances before converting. Yes Mauresmo had 14 chances to break in the 3rd, but they came in 3 games (1 game was when she started at 0-40 on Serena serve, she had 7 chances in that game). Serena also had a 0-40 lead in the 3rd set on Mauresmo serve, Mauresmo also managed to hold.

"Prejudice is a labor saving device-it enables you to form an opinion without having to dig up the facts"
"Just because we are equal, Does not mean we are the same"
victory1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 03:11 PM   #12
country flag JCF

JCF is a glorious beacon of light JCF is a glorious beacon of light JCF is a glorious beacon of light JCF is a glorious beacon of light JCF is a glorious beacon of light JCF is a glorious beacon of light JCF is a glorious beacon of light JCF is a glorious beacon of light JCF is a glorious beacon of light JCF is a glorious beacon of light JCF is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimodo
As usual, why are we even surprised. This is why I'm so relieved she is not no1!

Congrats Lindsay

Venus Williams
2000 Wimbledon, US Open
2001 Wimbledon, US Open
2005 Wimbledon

Nastya Myskina
2004 RG Champion
JCF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 04:41 PM   #13
country flag MinnyGophers

MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute MinnyGophers has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimodo
before being a smartass, check out the word "choke" in a dictionnary ( and no i am not talking about your "Meaning of Words Twisted Around Dictionnary by Yu Gutabekiddinme")
Nastya vs Justine in Olympics was a choke.
Here, the Serena won because she played better. OR is it to you that if someone loses a game they automatically choke?
You going around hating on her makes you only look like an idiot, nothing else.
I actually respect those who dislike her but don't bash, which does not include you.
oh and by the way, if you can't find a dictionnary, there was a nice interesting article in tennis magazine that talked about the misconceptions of the word "choke". I thought I saw your picture there.
MARIA SHARAPOVA: "Amélie, you know it doesn't really matter at this point. I mean, I'd love to, I mean, Amélie is No. 1 in the world. She's playing great tennis. You know, I love that challenge of going out there and competing against the best in the world."
You'd love to what, Maria?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler
This Amelie bashing gets more ludicrous by the day! What do you want her to do, crawl back to the chair???? For heavens sake who gives a toss how she gets back to the chair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Marie

Amelie FINALLY won two slams I mean let the woman RUN to her fucking chair.
MinnyGophers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 04:47 PM   #14
country flag DEETHELICK

DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute DEETHELICK has a reputation beyond repute
On BP, Serena hit a lot of great shots, however some of those great shots were a result of Momo putting in a shot that was attackable or the wrong shot, period.

I'd say Amelie's choking was pretty key. She had so many 2nd serves on BP in THAT game. Most players would have crushed the ball, Amelie just did the wrong thing a few times.

Serena definitely raised her level, she was playing as well as she could IMO to fend Amelie off.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #15
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEETHELICK
On BP, Serena hit a lot of great shots, however some of those great shots were a result of Momo putting in a shot that was attackable or the wrong shot, period.

I'd say Amelie's choking was pretty key. She had so many 2nd serves on BP in THAT game. Most players would have crushed the ball, Amelie just did the wrong thing a few times.

Serena definitely raised her level, she was playing as well as she could IMO to fend Amelie off.
Oh please, you act as Serena was trying to serve to stay in the match on that long game. Serena had already broken Momo, and Momo was desperately tryig to break Serena back and get level at 4-all in the third. She tried her damndest, but even with nothing but second serves, Serena placed them well and fought her off.

It was no choke. Serena vs. Clijsters, 2003 AO SF or Myskina v. Henin-Hardenne at the Olympics this year, those are chokes. It was a hard fought battle that Serena gutted out, plain and simple. Give the woman her credit, please!

Up a set and a break against Serena Williams is NOTHING!

█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote