Nasdaq-100 adds junior event - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 03:16 PM   #1
country flag Martian KC

Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute
Nasdaq-100 adds junior event

Nasdaq-100 adds junior event

By Charles Bricker
Staff Writer
Posted March 17 2002

KEY BISCAYNE For the first time since its inception in 1985, the tennis world's unofficial fifth Grand Slam will put on a junior event the second week of the tournament on Key Biscayne.

"We needed some more excitement that second week, some new matches," said Cliff Buchholz, director of the Nasdaq-100, which begins Wednesday at Crandon Park.

Putting many of the world's top juniors on display in the first Target Cup is something Buchholz and his brother, tournament chairman Butch Buchholz, have talked about for years. This year they are making it happen, even if it is on a small scale and not on the regular calendar for the ITF, which runs the juniors rankings.

Nasdaq has invited 12 top boys and girls, including several players living or training in South Florida. The top four seeds will receive byes into the second round.

The top seeds probably will be Luka Gregorc of Slovenia in the boys' tournament, and No. 11 Ashley Harkleroad of Wesley Chapel in the girls' event.

Other South Florida-based players participating: No. 26 Josh Cohen of Westin; No. 382 Brendan Evans of Boca Raton; No. 38 Ally Baker of Boca Raton; No. 56 Shadisha Robinson of Boca Raton; No. 166 Bethanie Mattek of Boca Raton; and unranked Katia Afinogenova of Pompano Beach.

"The quality of junior tennis today ... it's just so good we thought it would be entertaining," Cliff Buchholz said.

Buchholz says the Nasdaq-100 feels no pressure to turn this into a full-scale 64-draw junior event with doubles to emulate the four Slams.

"But if it does grow, we'd be fine with that," Buchholz said.

It's another step in the continued growth of the tournament that began as the Lipton, changed to the Ericsson and which now has its third name.

It expanded to 12 days last year and a few years earlier added a wheelchair tournament in the second week.

The juniors will be using the same locker rooms as the ATP and WTA pros.

"It's not so much chatting with the pros as watching them and learning how they prepare for matches that will help these young players," Buchholz said. "Just being in the same environment with them and getting the same treatment. How to schedule massage therapy. How to prepare in the locker room before a match."

And, of course, there is always the possibility that a young American will get a chance to pick up some advice from Venus and Serena Williams, Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi or Jennifer Capriati.

Other players participating include: No. 11 Brian Baker of Nashville; No. 19 Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic; No. 21 Franco Ferreiro of Brazil; No. 24 Robert Yim of Glendale, Calif.; No. 68 Horia Tecau of Romania; unseeded Alexandre Scripko of Belarus; No. 13 Gisela Dulko of Argentina; No. 15 Maria Sherapova of Bradenton; No. 27 Tatiana Golovin of France; No. 34 Salome Devidze of Georgia; No. 36 Cory-Ann Avants of Gastonia, N.C.; No. 61 Jamea Jackson of Bradenton; and No. 69 Carly Gullickson of Brentwood, Tenn.

Gullickson is the daughter of former major league pitcher Bill Gullickson. Afinogenova is the sister of Buffalo Sabres winger Maxim Afinogenov.
[Svetlana Kuznetsova] [Ai Sugiyama] [Su-Wei Hsieh] [Gisela Dulko]

[Maja Matezvic] [Karolina Sprem] [Eleni Daniilidou] [Maria Kirilenko] [Jelena Jankovic]
[Tathiana Garbin] [Timea Bacsinszky] [Kaia Kanepi] [Na Li] [Vera Douchevina]

The Pompous Member Of The Justine Philistines' Society
Martian 4 Life
Martian KC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 04:54 PM   #2
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
Exhibition event for juniors not a bad idea

they already host the Orange Bowl there in December, but they can't move that.
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2002, 07:31 PM   #3
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Great idea! I look forward to it!
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:27 PM   #4
country flag ptkten

ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, all my favorite junior players are here.
Good luck Ashley, Cory Ann, Carly, Jamea, Bethanie, Ally, and Shadisha, all the Americans

McHale-Stephens-Watson-Robson-Townsend

Brodsky-Muhammed-Hampton-Keys-Crawford-Andrews-Hardebeck
ptkten is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2002, 09:45 PM   #5
country flag bluepastures

bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light bluepastures is a glorious beacon of light
Good idea, it make for more matches on the outer courts, where sometimes the last few days of a tournament are pretty empty.
bluepastures is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2002, 10:15 PM   #6
country flag ~SunFlower~

~SunFlower~ has a brilliant future ~SunFlower~ has a brilliant future ~SunFlower~ has a brilliant future ~SunFlower~ has a brilliant future ~SunFlower~ has a brilliant future ~SunFlower~ has a brilliant future ~SunFlower~ has a brilliant future ~SunFlower~ has a brilliant future ~SunFlower~ has a brilliant future ~SunFlower~ has a brilliant future ~SunFlower~ has a brilliant future
Go my girl, Maria SHARAPOVA! Thanks for the news!! At least I know that Maria will be in Miami during that week.
~SunFlower~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:52 PM   #7
country flag Steveg
Team WTAworld

Steveg has disabled reputation
Thanks for the news KC

(and if you check your PMs from time to time, it's even better ).
Steveg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:44 AM   #8
Habsudovafan

Habsudovafan is just really nice Habsudovafan is just really nice Habsudovafan is just really nice Habsudovafan is just really nice Habsudovafan is just really nice Habsudovafan is just really nice Habsudovafan is just really nice Habsudovafan is just really nice Habsudovafan is just really nice Habsudovafan is just really nice Habsudovafan is just really nice
Yes Salome will be there!! Interesting field!
Habsudovafan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2002, 01:20 PM   #9
country flag kj-

kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future kj- has a brilliant future
Thumbs up

Wow That's Cool....
kj- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:08 PM   #10
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Let's be real. If Maria Sharapova wasn't playing. This junior event wouldn't be taking place.

Is this an exhibition?
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:46 AM   #11
country flag mn73

mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold mn73 is a splendid one to behold
Any news on this then?

Jelena Jankovic : US Open finalist 2008 and World No. 1

Jennifer Capriati : 3 Grand Slams, Olympic Gold and World No.1

[center]Rafael Nadal : 10 Grand Slams, Olympic Gold and World No.1 [/center]
mn73 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2002, 09:09 PM   #12
country flag Martian KC

Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute
Mark, it will start this Wednesay. The first 4 seeds will each have byes.
[Svetlana Kuznetsova] [Ai Sugiyama] [Su-Wei Hsieh] [Gisela Dulko]

[Maja Matezvic] [Karolina Sprem] [Eleni Daniilidou] [Maria Kirilenko] [Jelena Jankovic]
[Tathiana Garbin] [Timea Bacsinszky] [Kaia Kanepi] [Na Li] [Vera Douchevina]

The Pompous Member Of The Justine Philistines' Society
Martian 4 Life
Martian KC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2002, 03:14 PM   #13
Gus

Gus is an unknown quantity at this point Gus is an unknown quantity at this point Gus is an unknown quantity at this point
The cat obviously doesn't know much about Junior tennis... Gisela... and TATIANA.
For SHE is the real champion-to-be, the youngest top 25 junior, and probably the most talented young player of the moment.

... I think my friend TBE will agree !
Amelie Mauresmo, Marion Bartoli, Nathalie Dechy, Tatiana Golovin, Celine Beigbeder, Virginie Razzano, Emilie Loit, Stephanie Foretz, Camille Pin, Elodie LeBescond ... and the other beautiful French girls...
Gus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2002, 03:40 PM   #14
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Gus, don't get personal!

Tatiana leads Maria Sharapova 4-2 in the first set. Udachi Maria! But I like Tatiana as well.

Gus, don't be to sure that TBE will agree with you.
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2002, 03:51 PM   #15
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
Tatiana is very good but Maria at this stage is one step better

Masha from 0-4 to 5-4 up
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote