GOAT-level ESPN writing - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 27th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #1
country flag QuitYerWhining

QuitYerWhining has much to be proud of QuitYerWhining has much to be proud of QuitYerWhining has much to be proud of QuitYerWhining has much to be proud of QuitYerWhining has much to be proud of QuitYerWhining has much to be proud of QuitYerWhining has much to be proud of QuitYerWhining has much to be proud of QuitYerWhining has much to be proud of QuitYerWhining has much to be proud of QuitYerWhining has much to be proud of
GOAT-level ESPN writing

http://espn.go.com/tennis/usopen14/s...pen-women-play

Scroll about halfway down.

"The boring truth is that what we know now is that Simona Halep and Eugenie Bouchard sometimes rises to the occasion and sometimes does not, Louisa Thomas writes."

Poor Louisa Thomas, she actually looks like she wrote a decent article.

Seven faves. Zero slams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayRulz View Post
When will your fave's uterus?
QuitYerWhining is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 27th, 2014, 12:43 AM   #2
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: GOAT-level ESPN writing

Do they have copy editors over there?
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 12:45 AM   #3
country flag Vespertine69

Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute Vespertine69 has a reputation beyond repute

My eyes! Did they write it in another language and then use Google translate?!
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #4
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the link to the actual article.

My attention span is quite short at the end of the day, then I'm told how beautiful and marketable is Genie, and I'm done. Sick of it. Let the woman win something big.

Quote:
“I don’t think the tennis tour is the place to have friends. For me it’s all competition,” Bouchard said at Roland Garros. Few players have very good friends on tour, but Bouchard takes it to a greater extreme. “She’s never speaking with anyone,” Halep said. “No hello, no anything.” Part of her image is her fierce independence, and what that means, in a day-to-day sense, is that time on tour can be lonely. She spends much of her time with her mother, Julie Leclair, who travels with her, and her coach. Leclair told The New York Times Magazine’s Susan Dominus that Saviano is “almost like a second father.” Bouchard teases him in press conferences and argues with him in practice, chaffing as a teenage daughter might. Bouchard’s real father is an investment banker; her parents are divorced. When she was 9, her father and two partners started a limited partnership to invest in her future earnings. This summer, he lost a four-year battle in Canadian courts to claim his investment in his daughter’s development as a tax write-off. Bouchard is close to her fraternal twin, Beatrice (all the Bouchard children were named after British royals), who insisted there was no jealousy between them. Still, familial affection can have sharp edges. Bouchard’s siblings call Genie, in an homage to Harry Potter, “The Chosen One.”

The article is better written than ESPN's description of it, but...too many words. Let them win something big.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #5
country flag HalepFan

HalepFan is a glorious beacon of light HalepFan is a glorious beacon of light HalepFan is a glorious beacon of light HalepFan is a glorious beacon of light HalepFan is a glorious beacon of light HalepFan is a glorious beacon of light HalepFan is a glorious beacon of light HalepFan is a glorious beacon of light HalepFan is a glorious beacon of light HalepFan is a glorious beacon of light HalepFan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
Here's the link to the actual article.

My attention span is quite short at the end of the day, then I'm told how beautiful and marketable is Genie, and I'm done. Sick of it. Let the woman win something big.

The article is better written than ESPN's description of it, but...too many words. Let them win something big.
I think you are not getting the gist of the article. The article is trying to draw the comparison between two of the WTA rising stars who will be defining face of women tennis in future. It wants to show despite both Halep and Bouchard achieving great and similar success at Slams this year, their different personalities makes it more interesting to follow who'll have an upper hand in future. Would it be Halep's "beautiful game" or Bouchard's determined aggression to succeed?

And ESPN is only providing a link to the article. Louisa Thomas writes for Grantland and her profile of Halep during French Open impressively outlined how Halep mentally pulled herself out of the doldrums of wilderness to become a major contender.

Never once in the article is Louisa trying to promote either of them. She is simply stating how differently these two players have adapted to their fame and success.
It's a beautiful article just like most are from Thomas.
HalepFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #6
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold

So a woman who makes grammatical errors that a 4th grader would not make is qualified to write for one of the largest sports media organizations in the world?
SERVivor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote