Is China becoming the biggest economic power in Asia? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 16th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #1
country flag Vidan Camille
Banned

Vidan Camille is on a distinguished road Vidan Camille is on a distinguished road Vidan Camille is on a distinguished road Vidan Camille is on a distinguished road Vidan Camille is on a distinguished road Vidan Camille is on a distinguished road Vidan Camille is on a distinguished road Vidan Camille is on a distinguished road Vidan Camille is on a distinguished road Vidan Camille is on a distinguished road Vidan Camille is on a distinguished road
Is China becoming the biggest economic power in Asia?

In my honest opinion China will take it away from Japan in the near future if it continues to grow at this pace.
We obviously have the man power to make it happen!
Vidan Camille is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 16th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #2
country flag Lemonskin.

Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute Lemonskin. has a reputation beyond repute
China is going to be one of (if not THE) biggest economic superpowers in the world in not too distant future.
grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-
nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönedanker-
kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm?
Lemonskin. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #3
country flag XaDavK_Kapri

XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonskin
China is going to be one of (if not THE) biggest economic superpowers in the world in not too distant future.
I agree, and it's scary
XaDavK_Kapri is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #4
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten_Isse_Fan
I agree, and it's scary
I think not. There is much to admire in Chinese culture.

Depending on how you look at it, China is the oldest political entity on the planet. Certainly the oldest constant economic presence. Certainly the oldest continual cultural entity. Taking the long view, China NOT being a dominant economic power is the aberration. Having 18-20% of the world's brainpower is a decided advantage.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 09:58 PM   #5

XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute XaDavK_Kapri has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
I think not. There is much to admire in Chinese culture.

Depending on how you look at it, China is the oldest political entity on the planet. Certainly the oldest constant economic presence. Certainly the oldest continual cultural entity. Taking the long view, China NOT being a dominant economic power is the aberration. Having 18-20% of the world's brainpower is a decided advantage.
There is indeed much to admire in the Chinese culture and I think that the time for new economic power has come. I just think that the way the Chinese treat theirs and other people are scary.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 11:23 PM   #6
jbone_0307

jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of
Hell No, Japan is THE superpower of Asia. Maybe in the future, but for now Japan is making all of the technological advances and becoming more and more modernized.
jbone_0307 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #7
J_Migoe

J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all
china according to some economic experts will supercede America as the most powerful nation in the world in 30 years time. I'm scared!
J_Migoe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #8
country flag Hagar

Hagar has a reputation beyond repute Hagar has a reputation beyond repute Hagar has a reputation beyond repute Hagar has a reputation beyond repute Hagar has a reputation beyond repute Hagar has a reputation beyond repute Hagar has a reputation beyond repute Hagar has a reputation beyond repute Hagar has a reputation beyond repute Hagar has a reputation beyond repute Hagar has a reputation beyond repute
The WTO decided to lift quotas on textiles so the Chinese economy, which was already doing very well, will get an enormous boost.
As such this is a good thing because I believe that integration in international trade is the best way for a country to get integrated in the international political system = build up a democracy, assure civil rights,...
But the West should closely monitor the Chinese record on all this, and also on environmental issues (if the Chinese are producing at the crazy rate they are currently producing, there will be a lot of pollution I think).
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #9
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten_Isse_Fan
There is indeed much to admire in the Chinese culture and I think that the time for new economic power has come. I just think that the way the Chinese treat theirs and other people are scary.
Any scarier than how the UNited States treats other people?
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 11:19 PM   #10

Quote:
No, not really. I am not defending the americans, I'm the first to disagree with most decisions they take. In a humane perspective, though, Chinese have stranger ways of thinking than Americans. Just look at what they're doing to Tibet. They have absolutely no reason to do all the atrocities they do. Neither do the Americans, you'll say and in a way it's true, but at least they have a goal : Oil... What does Tibet have ? What is China looking for ? In my opinion, they are just taking advantage of a poor peaceful territory. It's disgusting.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 11:26 PM   #11
jbone_0307

jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of
Very disgusting. Just look at what happened at Tianament Square, and that was just a protest of government control. The same think with Taiwan, are they jealous that Taiwan is becoming an economic superpower, WITH DEMOCRACY. Taipei is becoming the next Tokyo. At school, we have an exchange student from Taiwan and she said that they hate the chinese and that they have bombs aimed toward them.
jbone_0307 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 11:47 PM   #12
Iroda_Fan

Iroda_Fan is a glorious beacon of light Iroda_Fan is a glorious beacon of light Iroda_Fan is a glorious beacon of light Iroda_Fan is a glorious beacon of light Iroda_Fan is a glorious beacon of light Iroda_Fan is a glorious beacon of light Iroda_Fan is a glorious beacon of light Iroda_Fan is a glorious beacon of light Iroda_Fan is a glorious beacon of light Iroda_Fan is a glorious beacon of light Iroda_Fan is a glorious beacon of light
Most americans prefer to buy from Japan, since the quiality is better and their reputation in products is great. China just makes imitation things.
Iroda_Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 01:15 AM   #13
country flag Veritas

Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute
I think China needs to 'mature-up' before they can be rightfully called a 'superpower'. Having a strong economy and a solid military force just won't do if they want to be on par with the U.S. Right now, there is problems with bad loans and debts in the banking sector, enormous disproportions in distribution of wealth and various human rights violations.

Plus it will be interesting to see if the Chinese government can continue to control their population. A strong capitalist market makes it easier to tap into a lot of wealth and a booming IT industry makes information a lot more difficult to control. The government can't completely control how the Chinese economy develops - it's really up to the population to decide what happens.
Veritas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 01:20 AM   #14
country flag Veritas

Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute Veritas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Not really. The U.S. has a few human rights issues to deal with, but at the very least the country is making progress. What's more, their human rights issues are recognised moreso than China, where even information distributed in the internet is tightly controlled. Look at how biased and singled-voiced the Chinese media is.

I believe the U.S. has several key human rights advantages over China. They allow information to be distributed without the excessive political control and inteference from the Chinese. Plus the U.S. government certainly won't send tanks and military supremos to gun down ordinary citizens who participate in mass demonstrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone_0307
Very disgusting. Just look at what happened at Tianament Square, and that was just a protest of government control.
Tiananmen Square protest was focused more on students and radicalists demanding a more democratic government and political system.

I do not like what happened, especially when many innocent people were killed. But look at it in the government's POV: in the 80s, Deng Xiaopeng's administration was the key to solving all the mass economic problems that Mao's "Cultural Revolution" and "Great Leap Forward" had imposed. The Deng government was responsible for solving the widespread poverty, violence and famine that Mao had left. Because China has such a large population, it is very difficult to make sweeping changes in as less time as possible. So when you are in the middle of reforming your country's economic system, the last thing you need is having to deal with a huge group of protesters that could derail all your efforts.

Of course it was not right to actually kill or even injure the protesters. Most were unarmed and I am guessing that they were asking for what many others in Western democracies have - a wide range of human rights. But it was really the bad timing of the protests that played against them. Democracy in China is nice, but it definately won't happen when the country is in the middle of rapid economic growth and the government is too authoritarian and conservative the let anything get in their way to making the country a superpower.

Last edited by Musashino : Oct 18th, 2004 at 01:28 AM.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 01:31 AM   #15
country flag Veritas

Oh yeah, and I'd much rather prefer U.S. hegemony than a Chinese-Communist one....