What should Jelena do now? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 12:14 AM   #1
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute andrewbroad has a reputation beyond repute
What should Jelena do now?

I don't think things can get much worse for Jelena right now, except that her losing streak might get longer. She's just got to tell herself that the only way is up.

I think Jelena needs to do one of two things now:

1. Take the rest of this year off from competition, and hopefully return to form in 2005. If she doesn't defend her points from Zurich 2003 then she could drop out of the top 100 on 18th October, but ranking should be the least of her worries right now.

2. Play some ITF tournaments ("challengers") to get some wins, confidence and match-play. These one-and-dones on the WTA Tour are just knocking her confidence lower and lower, to the point where even a $10k ITF just to get some easy wins would be worthwhile. Even former Grand Slam champions such as Iva Majoli, Andre Agassi and Michael Chang have used challengers to get out of slumps, so it's nothing Jelena should be ashamed of.

Either way, I think Jelena could benefit from seeing a sports psychologist, as (by her own admission) it's her head that determines how she plays.

I have created a poll at the jeldani Yahoo! Group:
>>>
What should Jelena Dokic do with the rest of 2004?

o Continue playing on the WTA Tour, and try to defend her points from Zurich 2003
o Drop down to the ITF circuit to regain her confidence against much weaker opponents
o Take a break from competitive tennis, and start preparing for 2005

To vote, please visit the following web page:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldan...ys?id=11888177
(have to join the Group before you can vote)
<<<

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/
http://www.geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/dokic/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jelena...ers_Lounge_II/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/
andrewbroad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 02:03 AM   #2
country flag shannonannafan

shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold
1. She needs to stay away from dad
2. She needs to find a really good coach (who is willing to travel and take care of her)
3. She needs consistentcy in her life
4. She needs to keep her head up and feel good about herself
5. She needs to take the rest of the year off and find herself and the perfect coach
ITF tournements might not be the answer, Jelena's confidence is down so low, that loosing an ITF match would be devastating to her.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:40 AM   #3
country flag vutt
Team WTAworld

vutt has disabled reputation
She had rather long summer brake. It did not help!
And I don't think dropping to ITF level this year with same people around her will lead somewhere.
But new faces in her life could do the trick. She needs outside help!
vutt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:24 AM   #4
country flag Tenisci

Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute Tenisci has a reputation beyond repute
Jelena Should Play In Itf Till The Season Ends
Tenisci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:02 PM   #5
country flag Pablo Martinez

Pablo Martinez is an unknown quantity at this point
Andrew

I'm certainly not in a position to say what's the best thing for her because I do not know her, therefore haven't spoken to her about this. I think the key question here is whether she's still happy playing tennis and having this (tough) way of life.

If the answer to that question is yes, then some of your recipes could help (particularly seeing a sports psychologist) plus some genuine leadership which I think is a total lack at the moment.

Pablo M.
Pablo Martinez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:20 PM   #6
country flag AK-DH Fan

AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonannafan
1. She needs to stay away from dad
2. She needs to find a really good coach (who is willing to travel and take care of her)
3. She needs consistentcy in her life
4. She needs to keep her head up and feel good about herself
5. She needs to take the rest of the year off and find herself and the perfect coach
ITF tournements might not be the answer, Jelena's confidence is down so low, that loosing an ITF match would be devastating to her.
I totally agree
AK-DH Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 01:25 PM   #7
country flag SzavayFi
4 8 15 16 23 42

SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute SzavayFi has a reputation beyond repute
why does this happen to my faves, Jelena and Dani, please come back soon!
SzavayFi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #8
country flag AK-DH Fan

AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future AK-DH Fan has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodely
why does this happen to my faves, Jelena and Dani, please come back soon!
I know. it's the same with me except(noodley)add Anna K to that list. All have underachieved. All have tremendous talent. Unfortunately all have mental issues on the court. I just wish I could see all of these things change. All of them playing well, but that's a lot to ask for. Considering one has horrible problems offcourt(Jelena D), one hasn't played in more than a year(and seems to be enjoying her life to much offcourt/ AnnaK), and the other failing to improve, recently. Hope fully are luck will change Noodley.

Comeback strong Jelena!!!!!!!!! she's not playing Linz?? Is she finishing up this year? Still confused about her schedule for this and next year.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 03:31 AM   #9
country flag KoOlMaNsEaN
Team WTAworld

KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute
i just hope she can regain motivation to play and play well and put everything bad behind her.

Ana Ivanovic, Sabine Lisicki, Serena Williams, Eugenie Bouchard

Official Psychologist of Don't Knock the Dok!
KoOlMaNsEaN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 04:35 AM   #10
country flag SM

SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute
she just needs time away and she made the right choide. simple as that! in tennis they dont get much of a break and im sure lots of players could do with it

so rest up jelena and i hope things get patched up at home
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 04:42 AM   #11
country flag SM

SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute
she just needs time away and she made the right choide. simple as that! in tennis they dont get much of a break and im sure lots of players could do with it

so rest up jelena and i hope things get patched up at home
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 01:59 PM   #12
country flag AnaIvanovicFan

AnaIvanovicFan is infamous around these parts AnaIvanovicFan is infamous around these parts AnaIvanovicFan is infamous around these parts AnaIvanovicFan is infamous around these parts AnaIvanovicFan is infamous around these parts AnaIvanovicFan is infamous around these parts AnaIvanovicFan is infamous around these parts AnaIvanovicFan is infamous around these parts AnaIvanovicFan is infamous around these parts AnaIvanovicFan is infamous around these parts AnaIvanovicFan is infamous around these parts
Jelena is lovely i wish her the best
AnaIvanovicFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 07:16 PM   #13
country flag AK-DH Fan

Well, now that she's gone back to Damir, hopefully she'll show the form that she did when they were together last time. GOOD LUCK Jelena