Question about Australian Universities! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #1
mackiec4

mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road
Question about Australian Universities!

there seems to be a lot of ppl here from Australia, so I need to ask you guys for some advice...

I am going to study abroad in australia for a semester next year, and i need help deciding between University of Adelaide, and University of Newcastle. any information about either of those schools or the cities that they are in would be great!
i'm trying to find info in the internet, but its not that helpful...and of course the school's websites make both sound amazing lol.

thanks!
mackiec4 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 02:05 AM   #2
country flag Mattographer
Also known as AlexSydney

Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not a student in university but I could say that Adelaide is a friendly place with friendly people. Newcastle also known as "Steel City" There are nothing much to do, I afraid. By the way, I live in western surburbs of Sydney so, Newcastle is a 3 hours away from here.

This is my signature. Pretty neat, isn't it?
Mattographer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 03:13 AM   #3
Also known as AlexSydney

Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute Mattographer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla.Y.
Sydney however tromps Adelaide
Sydney rock!

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 01:10 PM   #4
country flag SM

SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute SM has a reputation beyond repute
if u want a uni set in a leafy, relaxed area come to UOW !

we have the best beaches in NSW :P and its just an hour south of sydney..

www.uow.edu.au

it has gotten uni of the year 1999-2000-2001

Official loudest cheerer of don't knock the dok!
SM is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #5
mackiec4

mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road mackiec4 is on a distinguished road
UOW does look nice, but sadly its not on the list of schools that I can go to for a study abroad

I have been leaning more towards Adelaide right now anyways b/c the school is a little smaller, but we'll see. i've lived in small towns with nothing to do all my life, so if Newcastle is that way i probalby shouldn't go there. i'm supposed to decide by tomorrow, but i we'll see if that happens lol

thanks for the help!
mackiec4 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #6
country flag ~ The Leopard ~

~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute
Good lord, don't you people know anything? Newcastle is a sprawling city of about a third of a million people, not a small town. The steel works was shut down years ago, as was much of the other heavy industry. The place now depends on a great diversity of industries.

It has miles of the most glorious beaches in Australia. Caves Beach is beautiful, likewise the Nine Mile Beach stretch from Blacksmiths north toward the city. Then there's the marina life of Nelson Bay and a whole stack of places to the north. (You really need to be a beach lover to appreciate it, though). The campus of the University of Newcastle is very modern and one of the most beautiful you'll find anywhere (exceeded in Australia only by UWA) and there is an active social life. The city backs onto the magnificent Hunter Valley with its vineyards, and you can drive to Sydney in less than two hours these days if you want access to a major metropolis.

Newcastle and Adelaide are both a bit light on for night life, I suppose... well, compared to Sydney. In a way, they are more for families and older people (both have some very nice restaurants etc, especially Adelaide, and they are great places for bringing up kids). Then again, the campuses themselves are big and generate a lot of social activity. Newcastle has a very free and easy style and is extremely friendly because of the beach culture. As a result there is plenty of available .... Adelaide is slightly more staid and conservative, though the cultures aren't all that different.

All that said, I'd probably choose the University of Adelaide because it is slightly more prestigious than the University of Newcastle ... but it really depends on what discipline want to study in. U. Newcastle is about number nine in prestige in Australia, while U. Adelaide is about number eight. Both are doubtless very strong in particular fields, though not to the extent of U. of Melbourne, U. of Sydney, UNSW, Monash, ANU, UWA and U. of Queensland.

Above all, don't be put off either city by the ignoramuses on this board.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 01:22 AM   #7
Also known as AlexSydney

And I have few friends live in Newcastle I like the city