All the excuses in the world - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 04:52 AM   #1
Adrian
Team WTAworld

Adrian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
All the excuses in the world

Will not change the fact that Martina is playing better Tennis this year, not the best she can, but certainly a step above last year.

She has a better win/Loss record then any other player this year. She has played the same amount of tournaments as Last weeks Number 1, Venus. 17-2 for Venus over 5 Tournaments, 21-2 for Martina, with a match to be stilled played. Jennifer has a first round loss in a tier 2, Grandslam, final of a tier 2. Venus has a Tier 3, Quarter final at the Aus, tier 2 win, tier 2 win, semi-final loss at a tier 2.

Martina has a Tier 2 win, Grandslam final, Tier 1 win, Tier 2 Semi-Final and a final in a tier 1 yet to be decided.

Martina and Jennifer are definately the players of the year so far, with Monica and Venus disputing number 3
Adrian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 08:50 AM   #2
country flag louisa2k2

louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold
hey thanx for posting this Adrian. thats really interesting i had thought that Martina was doing better this year but just didnt have all the info to be sure.

Thanx, its cool!

louisa
louisa2k2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 08:54 AM   #3
smygelfh

smygelfh is on a distinguished road smygelfh is on a distinguished road smygelfh is on a distinguished road smygelfh is on a distinguished road smygelfh is on a distinguished road smygelfh is on a distinguished road smygelfh is on a distinguished road smygelfh is on a distinguished road smygelfh is on a distinguished road smygelfh is on a distinguished road smygelfh is on a distinguished road
The results are irrelevant.

What I'm happy about is that she's actually PLAYING better. She's not entering the court with a 'I hope my opponent will miss enough for me to win, I'll stay 3 meters behind the baseline as watch' suicide attitude as she did most of last year.
smygelfh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 09:03 AM   #4
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute
and smart scheduling too

venus just showed us in dubai what marti was doing wrong last year... and even before...
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 09:37 AM   #5
TeeRexx

TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice TeeRexx is just really nice
Great stats work!

Now all Hingis has to do is to figure out how to beat VENUS, SERENA or Capriati in a match and possibly all three of them in a row and she will have this Grand Slam drought of hers licked for sure.
TeeRexx is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 11:37 AM   #6
country flag destructo_girl

destructo_girl has disabled reputation
Aw come on Tee. You're such a party pooper.

I agree with what smygelfh and easy have said.

I'm glad Martina is playing her game, instead of letting her opponents play theirs, and hoping for the best.

And Martina's scheduling does seem to be working better for her than it was last year. I hope she keeps this up.
destructo_girl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 11:47 AM   #7
Adrian
Team WTAworld

Adrian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Well we Know tee has to whinge and whine about someting, after all the facts are clear, Venus ain't in Martina's or Jennifer's league this year. It is terrible to admit that your favorite is being outperformed by Jen and Martina isn't it Dinosaur
Adrian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 11:50 AM   #8
tennisfun

tennisfun is on a distinguished road tennisfun is on a distinguished road tennisfun is on a distinguished road tennisfun is on a distinguished road tennisfun is on a distinguished road tennisfun is on a distinguished road tennisfun is on a distinguished road tennisfun is on a distinguished road tennisfun is on a distinguished road tennisfun is on a distinguished road tennisfun is on a distinguished road
Martina and Jennifer's league?
Did you eat too much beans?
tennisfun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 04:44 PM   #9
country flag louisa2k2

louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold louisa2k2 is a splendid one to behold
hey. i think it is cool that martina is playing better and she said in an interview she was looking to improve her second serve - ie.89mph ace. its cool. come on marti win this title!
louisa2k2 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 05:18 PM   #10
country flag saki

saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, Martina does seem to playing much better this year than last. But I wouldn't get too excited about it yet, as she hasn't beaten Venus, Serena, Jen or Lindsay. To be fair, the only one she's played is Jen & she had matchpoints. But that in many ways is my point: she hasn't really been tested this year except against Jen when she came up short. Wait and see is my view on Marti this year.
saki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 05:33 PM   #11
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
Martina's better playing is probably due to her scheduling. Though there are some things in all of the interviews that I agree with when it comes to the players, I do think that Hingis feels she can make a much stronger showing this year. I was more than impressed in her match against Monica last night.

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 06:58 PM   #12
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute
Noone is basically the player of the year so far. Martina hasn't really been tested yet so far. She was tested at the AO final but that's all, which I felt she was playing very well and should of won. But she hasn't beaten the top player's that are the creme of the crop. She was playing good against Monica, adding more to her serve and trying to come in. We will have to wait and see if she can beat Jen, Venus, Serena, Lindsay this year. It will be interesting with all the new booties like Dani mixing it up. I wonder if Daniela can take her down tommorow. I would say probably no from the way she played against Monica, but Dani looks pretty solid to me and is a threat to the Swiss Miss, so who knows.

harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 08:27 PM   #13
country flag treufreund

treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute treufreund has a reputation beyond repute
Really Martina was injured in the fall and has done well being in the finals of four out of five tournaments. No other player has done that this year. Venus is three for five in getting to the finals (mostly smaller tournaments). Jenn is two for three and Serena is 1 out of 2 tournaments. Martina is no longer number one but is leading by far in the points race this year. She has nothing to prove and the onus is not on her to win. Jennifer and Venus are ranked higher so now they are the ones who have to win.
treufreund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 08:56 PM   #14
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
Harloo,
I think Martina has indeed been tested this year. She's been tested by Monica, Jennifer, and Serena.

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2002, 12:35 AM   #15
country flag Martian Martin
Team WTAworld
The Martian Llama

Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future Martian Martin has a brilliant future
There's no doubt that Martina has been the player of the year so far, with winning so matches and also coming off such a bad injury. You can't forget as well how she played for most of last year, which was poor by her own high standards. The scheduling has been very very smart as well.

I don't how anyone can say Martina hasn't been tested, people aren't saying how Venus hasn't exactly played the top level of players this year are they?. The only top player that Venus has played, she lost to, and that was Monica, who Martina has beaten 3 times this year. Yes Martina has lost to Jennifer and Serena, but both were 3 set matches, and everyone knows that Martina should have beaten Jennifer and was so close to doing it.
Whatever way you look at facts, Martina has been the player of 2002 so far.
Martian Martin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote