Dementieva takes swipe at Kournikova & Sharapova in Ace Magazine ( October edition ) - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #1
Kathy Rinaldi

Kathy Rinaldi has disabled reputation
Dementieva takes swipe at Kournikova & Sharapova in Ace Magazine ( October edition )

Elena's starting to excel in the art of sneaky comments. She says :

"Nobody could play against Kournikova because they were thinking about how famous she was, how popular she was, and how all the fans loved her. I think she won so many matches without a fight - especially at the beginning - because of all the media attention. That's how it's going with Sharapova right now. But in a few years everybody will play differently against her."

Elena still must be bitter that the only time she played Kournikova, Anna K beat her in straight sets, as did Sharapova the last time she played her.
Advertisement

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #2
country flag waratahsrock

waratahsrock has a reputation beyond repute waratahsrock has a reputation beyond repute waratahsrock has a reputation beyond repute waratahsrock has a reputation beyond repute waratahsrock has a reputation beyond repute waratahsrock has a reputation beyond repute waratahsrock has a reputation beyond repute waratahsrock has a reputation beyond repute waratahsrock has a reputation beyond repute waratahsrock has a reputation beyond repute waratahsrock has a reputation beyond repute
i think Dementieva should stop feeling sorry for herself and stop making excuses for why she chokes.
waratahsrock is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:21 PM   #3
country flag apoet29

apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of
To a degree, she has a point. That is not to say that Anna wasn't a good tennis player or didn't win matches without a fight. But I do think that Anna, especially at the beginning of her career, had a certain aura of invicibility. I mean, what player wants to play against someone they know the entire crowd is cheering for? A player who could still lose, but make more money than her? I think Elena is referring to the psychological factor there, and in that respect, she is right. I remember that her match against Anna was very close, like 7-5, 7-6. I think Elena led in both sets, but lost.

As for Sharapova, she still needs to develop a game that works on other surfaces besides grass. Anna's game, at 17, was better developed than Maria's. However, Maria does have time on her side, but if she doesn't develop quickly, the game will leave her behind.

Personally, I think Elena has a problem with any Russian player who trains outside Russia. There is a real issue with patriotism with her, and she views Kournikova and Sharapova as US sellouts. I really think that is the issue.
apoet29 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:38 PM   #4
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute
Damn, Elena can say some fucked up shit sometimes.

██████████████████ʘ
Greatest American Tennis Player of All Time
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:44 PM   #5
country flag flyingmachine

flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute flyingmachine has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoet29
Personally, I think Elena has a problem with any Russian player who trains outside Russia. There is a real issue with patriotism with her, and she views Kournikova and Sharapova as US sellouts. I really think that is the issue.
Agree, also she's too subborn and at times feel too bitter towords other who is different from her remenbered at the Chelaston final against Serena.
I think she have to learn how open her mind up and except there are people who are different from her Russians or non Russians otherwise her public and private life will suffer because of that.

Smells like Kvitova spirit

Allez Forever!

Amelie Mauresmo: Wimbledon Champion 2006
flyingmachine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:44 PM   #6
country flag apoet29

apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of apoet29 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law and order
The sisters sure weren't intimidated by Anna because they kicked her butt.
I never thought the sisters were ever intimidated by anyone.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:45 PM   #7
Nathalie_Tauziat

Nathalie_Tauziat is a name known to all Nathalie_Tauziat is a name known to all Nathalie_Tauziat is a name known to all Nathalie_Tauziat is a name known to all Nathalie_Tauziat is a name known to all Nathalie_Tauziat is a name known to all Nathalie_Tauziat is a name known to all Nathalie_Tauziat is a name known to all Nathalie_Tauziat is a name known to all Nathalie_Tauziat is a name known to all Nathalie_Tauziat is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Rinaldi
Elena's starting to excel in the art of sneaky comments. She says :

"Nobody could play against Kournikova because they were thinking about how famous she was, how popular she was, and how all the fans loved her. I think she won so many matches without a fight - especially at the beginning - because of all the media attention. That's how it's going with Sharapova right now. But in a few years everybody will play differently against her."

Elena still must be bitter that the only time she played Kournikova, Anna K beat her in straight sets, as did Sharapova the last time she played her.
Kathy!

Didn't Elena make une swipe against you Kathy? Most other players do. I know I never go through an interview without insulting you al least a few times. Take care, sweetie!
Flame haired temptress
Nathalie_Tauziat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:47 PM   #8
gweeny

gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice gweeny is just really nice
I don't know about Kournikova, but Sharapova is talented. I doubt that players are scared to play Maria just because she has been hyped. I don't see any "Aura" in Maria as Tracy Austin used towards the Williams Sisters.

Elena should concentrate on her game, and how she can do something that Maria Sharapova did in her first slam final.

Venus
Serena
Guga

gweeny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #9
country flag shannonannafan

shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold shannonannafan is a splendid one to behold
I don't really see any insulting in her statement. Elena is honest, and the minute she says something people always jump on her.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:51 PM   #10
country flag apoet29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeny
I don't know about Kournikova, but Sharapova is talented. I doubt that players are scared to play Maria just because she has been hyped. I don't see any "Aura" in Maria as Tracy Austin used towards the Williams Sisters.

Elena should concentrate on her game, and how she can do something that Maria Sharapova did in her first slam final.
I agree with you. I don't think that Sharapova has that aura about her. Even after she won Wimbledon. Of course, her results have not been stellar, but even still, she did not appear to be a major threat this summer.

Elena has always been sharply opinionated, so I don't know why this is a shock to anyone.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:04 PM   #11
Freewoman33

Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all Freewoman33 is a name known to all
What she said doesn't make sense at all. She really needs to stop being bitter.

Anna, when she was focused, played great tennis. That's why she was a top ten player. Sharapova, it goes without saying, is an excellent player.

The fact of the matter is that nobody wins matches for you. The crowd at the USO haven't been able to make J. Cap. Hence, the media, the attention from fans, or whoever else did not win matches for Anna. Anna won her matches because she deserved to. Like I said, she was very good whenever she was focused.

Maybe when Elena starts focusing on her serve and working hard to correct it, will she be able to win more titles and even some GS titles. I really was starting to like her...
Freewoman33 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:07 PM   #12
Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute
I think the Anna and Maria comparison is stupid. Anna sold her self out before she focused on her tennis and the sport. Maria focused on getting titles first before making money off of her self. Maria has a mature level at 17 then Anna did at 20.

Maria's family and management focused on her tennis skills FIRST where as Anna's management and family were focused more on the money FIRST and sadly her tennis has never amounted to much as it should have.

Elena is a shit server who will find that she did not make due on her 2 chances at a slam title/s. Those 2 chances will only get harder to come by as the tour gets stronger.

At least Maria has a slam. HA HA.
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. "Cree Native American Prophecy"
Dawn Marie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:11 PM   #13
country flag -Sonic-
HAND SCRAPED

-Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute
u can't be very mentally tough if u lost to someone cos none of the cameras were facing u.
-Sonic- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:15 PM   #14
Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute Dawn Marie has a reputation beyond repute
Hell you can't be mentally tough when you love the camera and when the camera's are on you can't win for trying.
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. "Cree Native American Prophecy"
Dawn Marie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:21 PM   #15
country flag Dava

Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future Dava has a brilliant future
Whats shes saying isnt something which hasent been said before.

Jsutine has said "When you play Anna you are not playing a tennis player you are playing a tennis celebrity"
ALSO STARRING
THE GIRLS ON TOUR!

ASAGOE~BOVINA~JANKOVIC~MOLIK
MYSKINA~SCHNYDER~ZVONAREVA

THE YOUNG GUNS

BACSINSZKY~CHAKVATADZE~IVANOVIC
JACKSON~KIRILENKO~LINETSKAYA
MAKAROVA~MIRZA

THE COMEBACK KIDS

BEYGELZIMER~DOKIC~HARKLEROAD
SPREM~VAKULENKO

Dava is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote