HELP!psychology experts!PLEASE! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #1
country flag skanky~skanketta

skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute
HELP!psychology experts!PLEASE!

i need help. i have this assignment thing due and i need help.

well, basically, i need a movie that has something to do with lacan's "misrecognition of self"....try to make it an easy movie, something recent and popular please!

OR

WAIT, I'LL CUT TO THE CHASE.

these are the questions that i have at the moment and i dont know what to choose or what movies to go with it. HELP!

[1] Freud's concept of the unconscious is said to have overturned the idea of the Cartesian subject. Discuss two films in which this challenge to the "rational self" is explored. You should explore the ways in which this challenge is represented in terms of the narrative, the mise en scene and the characterisation of the main protagonists.

Discuss at least two key sequences in your chosen films in detail, i.e. discuss the way the shots, editing etc. articulate the ideas of the scene.

[2] Perhaps no other Freudian idea has been so influential on Hollywood story telling as Freud's concept of the Oedipal complex. Discuss two films (or one film in great detail) in which the Freudian Oedipus complex is explored or is at least the main"driving force" of the narrative. You can choose either to stick to a classic Freudian reading of the film or combine this with a Lacanian view of the "Oedipal triangle".
Discuss at least two key sequences in your chosen film(s) in detail, i.e. discuss the way the shots, editing etc. articulate the ideas of the scene.

[3] Discuss a film in which Lacan's notion of the "misrecognition of the self" isarticulated. You should relate this to Lacan's concept of desire and discuss how these concepts can be seen to operate within the film (or films) you have chosen. If you choose more than one film to examine, you must contrast and compare the cinematographic techniques (mise en scene, editing, narrative) of the two or more films in terms of how they articulate Lacanian notions.

[4] Discuss up to three films (you can choose to examine only one film in detail if you like) which seem to have as their theme "liberation through sexuality". You must relate this theme to the ideas of Wilhelm Reich. Evaluate the filmmaker's views of 2 sexuality and compare them to Reich's ideas. Discuss at least two key sequences in your chosen film(s) in detail, i.e. discuss the way the shots, editing etc. articulate the ideas of the scene and how they relate to your reading of Reich's concepts of sexuality.

[5] Discuss a film in which you think you can identity at least a couple of Jungian Archetypes (this film
cannot be Star Wars!!). Examine the role of these archetypes in terms of the films narrative and characterisations. Compare these archetypes to those found in myths, fairytales or folkstories. Explain the dramatic function of these archetypes in the film you are discussing and the deeper symbolisation they represent.

[6] Examine a film which embodies the "heros journey" structure (again, this film
cannot be Star Wars!!). Explain Campbell's concept of the hero and relate it to the film you are examining. Find another film which can be contrasted with the film you are discussing (i.e. the narrative or characterisations either embody a different type of heros journey or, despite superficial resemblances, do not represent this structure at all.

movies i like that may have NOTHING to do with the questions

X-MEN, SPIDERMAN, CATWOMAN, TITANIC, MY BEST FRIENDS WEDDING, HARRY POTTER, FAST AND FURIOUS, MIB2, TERMINATOR 2, CHILDS PLAY, CHARLIES ANGELS, 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT U, HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN 10 DAYS, INTOLERABLE CRUELTY, SHE'S ALL THAT, SOMETHING ABOUT MARY, NEVER BEEN KISSED, MEET THE PARENTS, WALK TO REMEMBER, TOMB RAIDER,

HELP PLEASE!ASAP!

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #2

skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute
oh, i can use a television series for this as well.....please guys, i've never been so desperate before.....i'd even offer free unprotected sex if u want.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #3
Frank

Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute
Dude! This is a nightmare!

I really feel for you...

Can't help you though...
Frank is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:47 PM   #4
Frank

Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute Frank has a reputation beyond repute
I've got one tip though...

Try www.imdb.com for a huge movie database...Basically every movie ever made is in there...Maybe it'll help you...
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
I've got one tip though...

Try www.imdb.com for a huge movie database...Basically every movie ever made is in there...Maybe it'll help you...
i'm a dudette, but its the questions and i dont know which relates.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #6
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by name_change
i'm a dudette, but its the questions and i dont know which relates.
Whoops...Excuse me miss...

Number 6 shouldn't be too difficult...Many movies have hero journey structures...The rest is kind of abracadabra for me though...
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
Whoops...Excuse me miss...

Number 6 shouldn't be too difficult...Many movies have hero journey structures...The rest is kind of abracadabra for me though...
examples of movies please frankie!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #8
Frank

Quote:
examples of movies please frankie!
Excalibur, Tomb Raider, Armageddon, Terminator...

If that's allowed of course...I guess these movies have hero structures...

Why can't you use Star Wars?
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:02 PM   #9
country flag thalle

thalle has a reputation beyond repute thalle has a reputation beyond repute thalle has a reputation beyond repute thalle has a reputation beyond repute thalle has a reputation beyond repute thalle has a reputation beyond repute thalle has a reputation beyond repute thalle has a reputation beyond repute thalle has a reputation beyond repute thalle has a reputation beyond repute thalle has a reputation beyond repute
Vero, I know nothing about psychology. Nor do I know any movies that relate to all that.
Sorry, but I hope you'll make it Gooc luck

J'aime la Suede.
I Love Sweden
Svensker Elsker

Still a Lleyki
thalle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #10
Frank

Perhaps you could explain some of the terms used...I have no clue what Freud's concept of the Oedipal complex means...Maybe I can think of a movie when you give short explanations of these terms...
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #11
country flag CondiLicious
Politically Unmotivated

CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute CondiLicious has a reputation beyond repute
Well in order for anyone here to help they have to know psychology and Film and it's various codes. And um... even though I have/am studying psychology and Film... I dunno how the hell to help you... sorry
CondiLicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:23 PM   #12
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
i need help. i have this assignment thing due and i need help.

well, basically, i need a movie that has something to do with lacan's "misrecognition of self"....try to make it an easy movie, something recent and popular please!

OR

WAIT, I'LL CUT TO THE CHASE.

these are the questions that i have at the moment and i dont know what to choose or what movies to go with it. HELP!

[1] Freud's concept of the unconscious is said to have overturned the idea of the Cartesian subject. Discuss two films in which this challenge to the "rational self" is explored. You should explore the ways in which this challenge is represented in terms of the narrative, the mise en scene and the characterisation of the main protagonists.

Discuss at least two key sequences in your chosen films in detail, i.e. discuss the way the shots, editing etc. articulate the ideas of the scene.

[2] Perhaps no other Freudian idea has been so influential on Hollywood story telling as Freud's concept of the Oedipal complex. Discuss two films (or one film in great detail) in which the Freudian Oedipus complex is explored or is at least the main"driving force" of the narrative. You can choose either to stick to a classic Freudian reading of the film or combine this with a Lacanian view of the "Oedipal triangle".
Discuss at least two key sequences in your chosen film(s) in detail, i.e. discuss the way the shots, editing etc. articulate the ideas of the scene.

[3] Discuss a film in which Lacan's notion of the "misrecognition of the self" isarticulated. You should relate this to Lacan's concept of desire and discuss how these concepts can be seen to operate within the film (or films) you have chosen. If you choose more than one film to examine, you must contrast and compare the cinematographic techniques (mise en scene, editing, narrative) of the two or more films in terms of how they articulate Lacanian notions.

[4] Discuss up to three films (you can choose to examine only one film in detail if you like) which seem to have as their theme "liberation through sexuality". You must relate this theme to the ideas of Wilhelm Reich. Evaluate the filmmaker's views of 2 sexuality and compare them to Reich's ideas. Discuss at least two key sequences in your chosen film(s) in detail, i.e. discuss the way the shots, editing etc. articulate the ideas of the scene and how they relate to your reading of Reich's concepts of sexuality.

[5] Discuss a film in which you think you can identity at least a couple of Jungian Archetypes (this film
cannot be Star Wars!!). Examine the role of these archetypes in terms of the films narrative and characterisations. Compare these archetypes to those found in myths, fairytales or folkstories. Explain the dramatic function of these archetypes in the film you are discussing and the deeper symbolisation they represent.

[6] Examine a film which embodies the "heros journey" structure (again, this film
cannot be Star Wars!!). Explain Campbell's concept of the hero and relate it to the film you are examining. Find another film which can be contrasted with the film you are discussing (i.e. the narrative or characterisations either embody a different type of heros journey or, despite superficial resemblances, do not represent this structure at all.

movies i like that may have NOTHING to do with the questions

X-MEN, SPIDERMAN, CATWOMAN, TITANIC, MY BEST FRIENDS WEDDING, HARRY POTTER, FAST AND FURIOUS, MIB2, TERMINATOR 2, CHILDS PLAY, CHARLIES ANGELS, 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT U, HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN 10 DAYS, INTOLERABLE CRUELTY, SHE'S ALL THAT, SOMETHING ABOUT MARY, NEVER BEEN KISSED, MEET THE PARENTS, WALK TO REMEMBER, TOMB RAIDER,

HELP PLEASE!ASAP!

It would be very helpful to most people reading this if you explained a little about each of the concepts, starting with lacan's "misrepresentation of self". I think your thread is spectacular, by the way, but for the fact that it's grounded in film, and the foundation for each of the questions is based on the written word. The two could not be more dissparate, but it's an interesting assignment, to say the least. I'll start out with "misrepresentation of self" and point you toward the scene in Harry Potter where Harry is staring at his perceived representation of himself through the reflection of his parents in the mirror. Go for it- the professor is giving you all the answers!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #13
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
P.S.- if you want to score points on the Oedipal complex- research a Woody Allen film from the mid-90s: again, the answers are already given to you. Good Luck!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #14

thanks alfa, u're the bestest!
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #15
country flag kabuki

kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute kabuki has a reputation beyond repute
5. For Jungian archetypes, what about Fight Club? Obvious Shadow(Brad Pitt) and possible Anima(girlfriend)
kabuki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote